Quantcast

2018 Very Respectful World Cup #1: Lošinj

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
with regards to the use of YouTube as a social/business promotional tool and source of income it
seems I have a better grasp on the present. You should probably be embarrassed. Very embarrassed.
Will the embarassement hurt the special event I'm doing for the influencers tomorrow or the youtube and fb campagins I'm currently overseeing? Or did you mistake me mocking and disliking youtubers for lack of knowledge?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
His wife is from Slovenia. I wouldn't be so sure.
Well there is no oil there and he has limited ability to meet croatian women now as a president so I think the country is still relatively safe. The only problem is it's getting more popular among the polish tourists and as a polish person I can guarantee that it's a bad thing.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
Sam's unbearable riding aside (60 lb e-bike, or just too many failed cashrolls?), this course actually looks pretty kick ass to me. Assuming it has a proper top-level DH rider on it, it seems like you can get in a decent flow skipping over the top of a lot of those rocky sections, and then it's going to be won in those high-consequence sections.

Also, I'm a sucker for urban DH, so the pavement appeals more to me than say, that terrible flat section at the end of Cairns.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
maybe the lizurds are setting up their offshore bank accounts, and making a 1 time cash deposit with all of the bribe money they have received over the years

:tinfoil:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
'sup PilgHaterz

Part of the deal when Sam signed for Hibike was that they'd make a Dirt jump hardtail frame to his specification.
dunno if this has anything to do with Sam signing for them or not but it's gotta be good news when a fairly big bike company still think it's worth while branching out into DH these days

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Seems lika a nice venue......besides the track. Think its time to go full enduro and just accept DH isnt what it used to be. Mr Hill knew the lizards were taking over...

#FullEnduro

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
'sup PilgHaterz

Part of the deal when Sam signed for Hibike was that they'd make a Dirt jump hardtail frame to his specification.
dunno if this has anything to do with Sam signing for them or not but it's gotta be good news when a fairly big bike company still think it's worth while branching out into DH these days

One question. Isn't their DH frame a catalog thing or is it just similar to other catalog products?

As for promising him a proper dj frame - the mtb industry promised their riders proper bikes designed to their specs for year. I remember same being promised to many guys on the slope circuit including Greg Watts and (here I'm not 100% sure) Cam Zink.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
As for promising him a proper dj frame - the mtb industry promised their riders proper bikes designed to their specs for year
What?

He already has the DJ frame.

2 months ago infact.

I don't really care if his DH bike is a catalogue bike. More affordable DH bikes mean moar people riding DH which can only be a good thing in my mind.

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
It seems like it'd be a good enough track if it didn't have the pavement part that is waaaaaay too long. Any chance that'll get cut out once everyone shows up and does the course walk day? Would that make it too short so not an option? Do the riders carry enough weight that they could vote it out?

I love Croatia and think these kind of venues could be great for the sport if the track could be taken seriously. It'd be one thing if this was just a single stage of an enduro with plenty of other stages to negate the time differences on the pavement but that is a major section in 1 of only 6 World Cups. That pavement section could very well end up affecting many riders' final ranking at the end of the year. I don't think RM and Pinkbike commenters will be the only ones saying it needs to go.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Any new location is good I reckon. Just from watching the EWS for the past couple of seasons, I think the variety is one of the big appeals for the riders. Even if they run the same location from one year to the next, the stages and tracks change. Looking at what Chris Ball found in Columbia and Chile - imagine if the WC went to those places for DH. How long ago were Brazil, Japan, Spain etc? Maybe the UCI prerequisites are too hard for new venues to meet?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
What?

He already has the DJ frame.

2 months ago infact.

I don't really care if his DH bike is a catalogue bike. More affordable DH bikes mean moar people riding DH which can only be a good thing in my mind.
My bad. I just head too many stories of companies hiring a dirt/slope guy, promising a slope/dirt frame and then making him ride on some shitty frame with idiotic geo for years.

I have no problem with haibike was just wondering about their bike. It's just one of those strange German brands that seem to be uninterested in selling to people outside Germany or at least not being strange in their marketing. Too bad Sam isn't going to as many events as he used to since he is an awesome guy. I had a few brief interactions with him over the years and he seems to be always stocked with no need for drama. Didn't he have some massive crash/injury some time ago?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My bad. I just head too many stories of companies hiring a dirt/slope guy, promising a slope/dirt frame and then making him ride on some shitty frame with idiotic geo for years.

I have no problem with haibike was just wondering about their bike. It's just one of those strange German brands that seem to be uninterested in selling to people outside Germany or at least not being strange in their marketing. Too bad Sam isn't going to as many events as he used to since he is an awesome guy. I had a few brief interactions with him over the years and he seems to be always stocked with no need for drama. Didn't he have some massive crash/injury some time ago?
He actually has plans to compete in events again this year. He's just outside the required points to be invited to Crankworks/FMB but still the highest ranked Brit at the moment and reckons with one decent result he'll be back in the show. This is all from his Youtube chanel. I like him a lot too.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
He actually has plans to compete in events again this year. He's just outside the required points to be invited to Crankworks/FMB but still the highest ranked Brit at the moment and reckons with one decent result he'll be back in the show. This is all from his Youtube chanel. I like him a lot too.
I thought Sam Reynolds was ranked higher but he may have decided to give the FMB bro fest the middle finger and hang out with the fest crew full time.
I've heard he had a bit of mental block after some nasty crash a few years ago so it's good to see he wants to go back to competing seriously. Good to see him ride bigger bikes too as he used to be 100% dirt jumps and he seemed to avoid more big bike friendly events

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm only repeating what Pilg said recently in a youtube vid. I may have my FMBs and Crankworks points info mixed up. He said himself he was surprised when he found out too.
I don't follow the results too closely. or even care who wins. Just watch 'em for entertainment.