Quantcast

2019 Prototype Boxxer ?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Adjustable offset crowns - https://outsiderbikes.com/
Neat. I'm glad someone is doing that, it's long overdue.

I wish they'd pared the adjustment range down, and made the whole thing a bit cleaner though. You'd have to be a fucking lunatic to want to go +8mm on a 40. The offsets on those things are way, way too big already. The top crown could be a lot more elegant and probably lighter if they'd gone with a narrower (more negative-biased, ideally) adjustment range.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The current 40 crowns are beautifully weight-optimised forged pieces too (they made them a lot lighter in the 2015 chassis update) so you're throwing away some very nice parts in the "upgrade" process. There's also already 3 different offset choices on the 40 (via lowers), plus the 2015+ 26" lower clears 27.5" (generously), and the 27.5" lower clears 29" (not generously but still functionally), so I don't see a huge need.

Might be useful for people on other forks though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Eh, I'd still like to try less offset than even the 26" 40, and there's no way I'd want the 52mm of the 650b. You're certainly right that the newer crowns are light and well made, but I'll take a few grams extra weight for better handling any day.

Edit: I'd certainly prefer a non-adjustable crown for the lighter weight and reduced likelihood of creaking. But I do think that reducing the offsets below what Fox offers would be a positive step. I've swapped 26" uppers onto a couple of 650b 36s to net a 40mm offset (650b uppers are 44mm), and even the 26" 40 has more offset than that at 45mm.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Not sure about that third dimension though...

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
  • "Boost 20x110mm axle only" Lolololololololololloloollololllllll !!! I'm glad they fixed that problem!

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Rule #1 in The Industry™-
Don't believe everything that the lizards tell you.

I'm not arguing with you, but that would make no sense at all. If something cost that much for basically one fork lower, then you'd have to sell hundreds of thousands of them to make your money back. They'd find a different material, process or manufacturing technique.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

I'm not arguing with you, but that would make no sense at all. If something cost that much for basically one fork lower, then you'd have to sell hundreds of thousands of them to make your money back. They'd find a different material, process or manufacturing technique.
100k is not that bad. Remember the model will use the same mold for like 5-7 years. There will be 3 different versions + it will sell for OEM too.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You'll be able to 3D print your own in 5 years anyway. Endless standards.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

you clearly lack an understanding of manufacturing & the costs associated with it. besides, that $100k number came from a friend within the industry. tooling is expensive

norbar has it right. once a set of lowers is designed, they're gonna be common across the models (minus paint and decals), and used for several seasons before any changes are made. when you consider aftermarket price for a set of boxxer lowers is about $260, i'm pretty confident they're not taking a loss on them.

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland

You shouldn't renounce to your logic for the hate of marketing BS, don't you think that if they were cheap there would be a slightly different design every year or two to make your fork feel old rather than change stickers on it? or make the top level model more refined/light?

Plus, say they will sell 20.000 x 6 years, it's 120.000 pieces, now even if you sell it to OEMs and distributor to 30 dollars (they don't) and pay 15$ for the material it's 3.600.000$ - 1.800.000$ = 1.800.000$ margin, you can reduce the pieces to 10k per year is still worth it.

Off course that is not real margin, don't be that guy "an iPhone cost 370 dollars to make and it's sold to 999" it does not, it cost much much more when you understand production it's just one of the many cost that a company has.

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
You shouldn't renounce to your logic for the hate of marketing BS, don't you think that if they were cheap there would be a slightly different design every year or two to make your fork feel old rather than change stickers on it? or make the top level model more refined/light?

Plus, say they will sell 20.000 x 6 years, it's 120.000 pieces, now even if you sell it to OEMs and distributor to 30 dollars (they don't) and pay 15$ for the material it's 3.600.000$ - 1.800.000$ = 1.800.000$ margin, you can reduce the pieces to 10k per year is still worth it.

Off course that is not real margin, don't be that guy "an iPhone cost 370 dollars to make and it's sold to 999" it does not, it cost much much more when you understand production it's just one of the many cost that a company has.
The point is that I don't know the cost, and obviously you don't know the cost either as you throw together some random numbers that you came up with. I really don't give 2 shits how much it cost them. Just how much it cost me.

We all ride bikes cause it's fun, not because of the cost. But when it gets too expensive then they lose customers.

Will it change your cost? Probably not.

Last edited:

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
The point is that I don't know the cost, and obviously you don't know the cost either as you throw together some random numbers that you came up with. I really don't give 2 shits how much it cost them.
Well you said "if they were expensive" imply you know they are not, and also you called BS on someone else information that may or may not be accurate, but it seems like you already decided. Also distrust everyone who works for the bike industry it's straight funny, like if they were a subspecies of evil individuals.

I had a mtb distribution company 10 years ago' in Italy, and I was funding a local bikepark and sponsoring few kids. Obviously trying to make money by renting my bikes and advertise them as I could I was frowned upon by many, now I'm gone, I work for apple, I make twice as much with half of the work and 1/10th of the worry and the bike park is no longer working as there is not enough customers to run it with decent profit. The evil is gone and so it's circus.

It's totally fair to point their bullshit but in this case it's one standard that fits all so I'm not really sure what's to complain, it's not like you need to buy a new set of wheels, let's spare the narrative of the big corporation evils that ruin our sports as they make it possible, if you can do better by all means do it but I don't think that be negative all the times it's helpful, in fact it hides genuine complains for real issues under a blanket of "it's all bullshit and I'm never happy because fuck you"