Quantcast

2022 Sea Marmet?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Anybody going to The Marmet in April? Apparently, I am now going. Need to figure out if I am bringing more than just 1 lens for my camera. I used to show up with 2-3 cameras 5-6 lenses and a 1200 watt portable pack. Now I will have 1 camera, booze, chew and maybe some inflammatory shirts criticizing working conditions in some countries.

I haven't camped there in almost 10 years. Since the Cal Poly kids made the DS famous doing KEG STands etc. I almost got booted from the event that year. Has anything changed? Still noisy as hell?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Anybody going to The Marmet in April? Apparently, I am now going. Need to figure out if I am bringing more than just 1 lens for my camera. I used to show up with 2-3 cameras 5-6 lenses and a 1200 watt portable pack. Now I will have 1 camera, booze, chew and maybe some inflammatory shirts criticizing working conditions in some countries.

I haven't camped there in almost 10 years. Since the Cal Poly kids made the DS famous doing KEG STands etc. I almost got booted from the event that year. Has anything changed? Still noisy as hell?
I havent been back since 08' Actually had to look it up since that was the year I did CPR on Mark Reynolds. I used to camp at the actual RV park in the NW corner, was quiet and had full hookups but you had to reserve those sites pretty early.

I would bring a telephoto and a wide zoom and call it a day, maybe some speedlights

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Be prepared for more wrist bands and fences everywhere, insanely expensive food, hella e-bikes, and fewer (if any) kegs in the mfg tents.

Haven't camped in years, don't know the current rowdy level but there has to be some. I would think the Thunder Bringers out of Chico hold the current crown for chaos.

At least global warming seems to have taken care of the rain problem. Been HOT the last few I went.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I havent been back since 08' Actually had to look it up since that was the year I did CPR on Mark Reynolds. I used to camp at the actual RV park in the NW corner, was quiet and had full hookups but you had to reserve those sites pretty early.

I would bring a telephoto and a wide zoom and call it a day, maybe some speedlights
I used to show up with 3 cameras 4-5 lenses and about 50LBS of a 1200 watt power pack. F That I am doing 1 lens and may try and borrow a camera from work and their 70-200. To old to be huffing 70LBS of gear around these days.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
What happened to the concept of the holy trinity?
If your background is crap shoot wide open solves the no scouting issue. Granted if I was shooting with a 300F2.8 I would run it close to 2.8 but probably F4 would be fine. I'm just gonna use the 85F1.8 it is the poor man's 85 F1.2 (canon) also cause I shoot Nikon. Canon is work crap.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I am all game for new glass but honestly the trinity is an outdated DSLR concept and tech has advanced now to the point that zooms are fast as primes and two can fill the gaps that used to take 3.
What zoom can cover that much? I thought the trinity is 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200? That is what is in my bag when I travel, if I know I might encounter wildlife I add the 150-600.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
If your background is crap shoot wide open solves the no scouting issue. Granted if I was shooting with a 300F2.8 I would run it close to 2.8 but probably F4 would be fine. I'm just gonna use the 85F1.8 it is the poor man's 85 F1.2 (canon) also cause I shoot Nikon. Canon is work crap.
Pick a camera system and be a dick about it.... :D

gonefirefightin

free wieners
What zoom can cover that much? I thought the trinity is 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200? That is what is in my bag when I travel, if I know I might encounter wildlife I add the 150-600.
Good question and a lot of it depends on the eco system and glass available. Once I made the jump to mirrorless from DSLR I noticed a very niche contingent of journalism glass emerging and it has developed into a line of glass now that suits the traveler very well.

This is one of many reasons I jumped over to sony, my travel kit (APSC) consists of an a6600 body, 18-135 and a 70-350 and it suits me well even down to f4 even for video and only have the bare essentials so no need for a hard case or big pack. With my full frame gear it gets rather heavy and bulky very quick. If I know I will encounter some low light scenarios I will pack a f2.8 or faster compact prime like a sigma 1.4 but I have yet to use it in those scenarios.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Good question and a lot of it depends on the eco system and glass available. Once I made the jump to mirrorless from DSLR I noticed a very niche contingent of journalism glass emerging and it has developed into a line of glass now that suits the traveler very well.

This is one of many reasons I jumped over to sony, my travel kit (APSC) consists of an a6600 body, 18-135 and a 70-350 and it suits me well even down to f4 even for video and only have the bare essentials so no need for a hard case or big pack. With my full frame gear it gets rather heavy and bulky very quick. If I know I will encounter some low light scenarios I will pack a f2.8 or faster compact prime like a sigma 1.4 but I have yet to use it in those scenarios.
Canon has the 24-240, but it is only f/4-6.3, lacks weather sealing and seems to be lackluster image quality wise. If they would come out with an L- series version with f/2.8 or 4 throughout, that would be sweet.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Canon has the 24-240, but it is only f/4-6.3, lacks weather sealing and seems to be lackluster image quality wise. If they would come out with an L- series version with f/2.8 or 4 throughout, that would be sweet.
yep, thats why I left Canon, even in the new mirrorless RF line doesn't have the options for native choices let alone aftermarket and thats full frame, its literally nothing for the crop sensor lineup

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
yep, thats why I left Canon, even in the new mirrorless RF line doesn't have the options for native choices let alone aftermarket and thats full frame, its literally nothing for the crop sensor lineup
I guess the crop sensor cameras will come. I had tested Sonys because of the disappointing Eos R, but the camera bodies feel weird in my hands and didn't have high enough fps. Luckily they dropped the R6 out of nowhere after all the hype was for the R5. For wildlife, a crop sensor RF body would be sweet as I hate extenders (and they f'd up the compatibility).

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I guess the crop sensor cameras will come. I had tested Sonys because of the disappointing Eos R, but the camera bodies feel weird in my hands and didn't have high enough fps. Luckily they dropped the R6 out of nowhere after all the hype was for the R5. For wildlife, a crop sensor RF body would be sweet as I hate extenders (and they f'd up the compatibility).
Trust me, Ive been a fanboy of Canon for years but I just cant see Canon catching up since sony has essentially 4 separate lines of mirrorless systems and at least one of them gets an update every year it seems. And that not including video specifics. I bailed on Canon when the 5DMK4 went with crazy image file sizes and still didn't bump the resolution and went straight to the a9, never looked back at canon since then. Of course I was able to offload my gear for decent prices back in 2016 since it was all still relevant.

If I am shooting an event like bikes/cars/moto etc I will shoot it all with 60fps video in 4k or higher res in log then pull the stills and edit them in LR from there. I hardly burst shoot stills anymore. Everything these days is social media content so the need for high res stills is very rare anymore.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Trust me, Ive been a fanboy of Canon for years but I just cant see Canon catching up since sony has essentially 4 separate lines of mirrorless systems and at least one of them gets an update every year it seems. And that not including video specifics. I bailed on Canon when the 5DMK4 went with crazy image file sizes and still didn't bump the resolution and went straight to the a9, never looked back at canon since then. Of course I was able to offload my gear for decent prices back in 2016 since it was all still relevant.

If I am shooting an event like bikes/cars/moto etc I will shoot it all with 60fps video in 4k or higher res in log then pull the stills and edit them in LR from there. I hardly burst shoot stills anymore. Everything these days is social media content so the need for high res stills is very rare anymore.
Both good systems, but as a mainly stills shooter I decided to stay with Canon and now I am too deep in RF to make a change. I also enjoy the amazing animal eye AF, their fantastic RF glass and that they come out with unique lenses, like the 800 F11. All EF glass adapts seamless too.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm still using a D800e with a bunch of primes plus a 24-85vr for when I'm shooting hand held; but I'm a landscape guy. I'm not going to upgrade until someone comes out with a good computational body with a smartphone sized screen...or I'll just go back to 4x5.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I only shoot Nikon for the DR. It is well ahead of Canon. Though canon doesn't decide hey it's a great day to cast a green shadow on everything at Random like Nikon so they are both with issue. I sold all my Canon gear 1 year after the 800e came out. I had a solid lens collection. Here is something I shot in the studio last week. 3-second exposure using the new Canon 5D IV and a 50mm Macro with a Profoto D1200 pack and 2 lights. The lightning on shoe wasn't really how I wanted it but pressed for time so had to settle. Hell I could still activate my Canon CPS. Maybe I should do that at Sea Otter and get a 300F2.8 and a 16-35......

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 5.37.59 AM.png

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I only shoot Nikon for the DR. It is well ahead of Canon. Though canon doesn't decide hey it's a great day to cast a green shadow on everything at Random like Nikon so they are both with issue. I sold all my Canon gear 1 year after the 800e came out. I had a solid lens collection. Here is something I shot in the studio last week. 3-second exposure using the new Canon 5D IV and a 50mm Macro with a Profoto D1200 pack and 2 lights. The lightning on shoe wasn't really how I wanted it but pressed for time so had to settle. Hell I could still activate my Canon CPS. Maybe I should do that at Sea Otter and get a 300F2.8 and a 16-35......

View attachment 171905
Mind sharing the technique for thr swirl?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Mind sharing the technique for thr swirl?
I was at 3.2 seconds F10-13, 100 iso with 2 lamps above and below. The SWIRLS was made with an OLIGHT flashlight that I taped a RED marble to the top of. I couldn't get the swirl to be crisp enough with longer exposure so ended up faking the one on top and just cut it out in PS to go over the top of the shoe. I think it would need to be hanging from the fishing line to be longer exposure and still be crisp. This was all handheld except shoe.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I was at 3.2 seconds F10-13, 100 iso with 2 lamps above and below. The SWIRLS was made with an OLIGHT flashlight that I taped a RED marble to the top of. I couldn't get the swirl to be crisp enough with longer exposure so ended up faking the one on top and just cut it out in PS to go over the top of the shoe. I think it would need to be hanging from the fishing line to be longer exposure and still be crisp. This was all handheld except shoe.
Have to give that a go. Thanks!