Quantcast

20th anniversary recap....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
What a trip!!!! Highs, lows, fun, relaxing, shopping, eating, and so on and so on and so on......

We leave Friday for Sausalito, having lined up a houseboat through AirBnb. This is probably the lowest part of the trip, as when we arrive and find the rental, we are sadly disappointed. Upon entering, there was a strong musty smell that immediately turned us off. You know that favorite aunt/grandma/older family member that when you visited, there was always a smell you didn't want to deal with? That describes this place. We try to cope, and walk through the place, and just can't get over the smell. We also look to see where we are to hang our clothes and unpack, and find out all the closet space and drawers are full. Um, are we to live out of our suitcase for the next 3 days? Call the owner, explain our concern, take photos for proof, and decide to leave (we also called AirBnb to file a complaint, and that's a whole 'nuther story). End up staying on Lombard Street in San Francisco, order from GrubHub for room service, and relax.

Saturday, we get out, have breakfast at Mel's Diner, and find the Tiffany shop to pick up wife's ring. Platinum with rose gold trim. The thing is so sparkly!! Go to a few favorite thrift shops, don't find anything, call Sunset Inn in Pacific Grove to see if we can arrive a day earlier (they said yes), and drive south along Highway 1.

Oh, before I forget, getting my ring was an interesting endeavor. Shipped via FedEx, missed first day's attempt, door tag left, waited for second attempt, driver didn't stop by, ended up being on phone for 30min, telling them to take it off truck for pick up in Carson City, get to depot, explain concern to desk agent, and get my ring...... 6mm platinum, 1mm for me, wife, and each of 4 kids. It's very shiny, too!!!

The drive south was gorgeous, being along the coast the whole way. Even stopped at a Taco Bell that's claimed to have the most beautiful view for a franchise. They're not kidding. Get to Sunset Inn early, get keys (room wasn't quite ready), then out for exploring. The Monterey Jazzfest was going on, so we made our way there to enjoy the music, something we had been wanting to do in years past. It never gets boring in Pacific Grove/Monterey. Didn't take bikes, though, as wife had just had surgery on her right hand, and doc said no pressure for 3-4 weeks.

Aquarium never disappoints, and the otters look so much fatter up close. Seals in one of the coves, drive along the shore in Carmel, house hunting, shopping, do our own vow renewals, watched the sunsets, drank a lot, and enjoyed the company. Decided another night, so we didn't leave until Friday. As we were driving along Ocean View Dr., noticed a bunch of people looking out into the bay, and what was that? WHALES!!!! Stopped and filmed for several minutes. What a magical way to end out trip. Then, to come back to snow driving over Kirkwood?? What a difference a few hours makes.

I am still working on getting pics downloaded, so please be patient, if that's what you want to see. I will post a link to them.......

Last edited: