Quantcast

-21°C Thursday GMT-6°F

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
$100+ to make hot chocolate? Great investment. If you wont use it for anything else, i highly suggest a cheaper stove and pot.
Though if you do get a Jetboil, which are fantastic, get the minimo as its compact and has simmer control. You can always get a bigger pot.
You guys already sorted through all this, but I wouldn't spend $100 on a Jetboil. I just looked on Craig's List for 3 minutes and found a new in packaging Flash for $75, and that's without haggling.

Also, not just for hot cocoa... I've been thinking about getting one for a while now. I have campstoves and such, but just a basic, easy-to-use water-boiler seems like a good thing to have around.

For instance, a lesson learned Baja racing a couple weeks ago: we pre-made a bunch of good food before the race, vacuum sealed and froze it. The idea was to then just boil a pot of water using a 2-burner camp stove, drop the (rather large) vacuum-sealed meal in there, heat it up, and feed multiple people at once. Water took WAY too long to boil, and then when it did it took FOREVER to heat up the food. Additionally half the camp stoves we brought were missing parts, not everyone was in a singular place at the same time to be fed, etc. etc. Even making oatmeal (which was our plan for breakfasts) was a PITA due to only being able to boil a large amount of water at once.

The media crew that followed us around had a couple Jetboils and dehydrated meals... basically they ate more often and better than we did with less dicking around. We could have even still pre-made the food, but vacuum sealed it in individual sized portions and been way better off.

And as much as I love my Old's Cool white gas 2-burner camp stove, it'd be rad to be able to quickly boil some dang water to make coffee in the morning at camp, which is highly needed before dicking with said Old's Cool white gas 2-burner camp stove.

So yeah... Jetboil thingy. I'd like one.

the zip can be found for this price pretty consistently (this is what i have). its a more barebones version, doesn't have a built in ignition but it does have an adjustable burner.

if i was going to pony up full/high price for this style of stove i'd probably go for the MSR version.
I'll have to check out the zip and the MSR version.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You guys already sorted through all this, but I wouldn't spend $100 on a Jetboil. I just looked on Craig's List for 3 minutes and found a new in packaging Flash for $75, and that's without haggling.

Also, not just for hot cocoa... I've been thinking about getting one for a while now. I have campstoves and such, but just a basic, easy-to-use water-boiler seems like a good thing to have around.

For instance, a lesson learned Baja racing a couple weeks ago: we pre-made a bunch of good food before the race, vacuum sealed and froze it. The idea was to then just boil a pot of water using a 2-burner camp stove, drop the (rather large) vacuum-sealed meal in there, heat it up, and feed multiple people at once. Water took WAY too long to boil, and then when it did it took FOREVER to heat up the food. Additionally half the camp stoves we brought were missing parts, not everyone was in a singular place at the same time to be fed, etc. etc. Even making oatmeal (which was our plan for breakfasts) was a PITA due to only being able to boil a large amount of water at once.

The media crew that followed us around had a couple Jetboils and dehydrated meals... basically they ate more often and better than we did with less dicking around. We could have even still pre-made the food, but vacuum sealed it in individual sized portions and been way better off.

And as much as I love my Old's Cool white gas 2-burner camp stove, it'd be rad to be able to quickly boil some dang water to make coffee in the morning at camp, which is highly needed before dicking with said Old's Cool white gas 2-burner camp stove.

So yeah... Jetboil thingy. I'd like one.

I'll have to check out the zip and the MSR version.
a college friend of mine in CO went with the MSR version because someone she splitboards with had trouble getting the jetboil to work above 10,000'. Her experience with the MSR so far is that it has no elevation based issues.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The point I was trying to make is that if you're looking to save money, a good hybrid is better than a model S, and that if you're looking to save the planet, I'd be hard pressed into thinking that the model S was the best option.
Best way to save the planet is to kill oneself. Hell, being a mass murderer would probably be the most effective, although unconventional.

At the low end, however, comparing like to like (new vs new) I'd argue that BEVs and PHEVs are the most frugal in TCO... after tax credits are accounted for. This is even more true in states like Colorado: $5k BEV/PHEV credit, which is great except it used to be $6k.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
if i was going to pony up full/high price for this style of stove i'd probably go for the MSR version.
The Zip is nice, the self ignitor can sometimes be a pain. I also have the MSR Reactor 1.7l, love it. But Jetboil wins for modularity.

Also, not just for hot cocoa
Gotcha, its definitely worth the money than. Don't splurge for a TI version, they're not worth it. I don't have experience with jet stoves over 10,000 feet so I'm of no use there.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think my little Snow Peak burner is about 15 years old now, simple version with no built in ignition and has never let me down.

This evenings snowy ride was a little chilly, 15F, but much fun was had. So much so that we finished in the near dark...oops.

Time to look into lights, considering these for the bars then probably use my old Ay-Ups for helmets:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R1JC894/

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I have been using a MSR Whisperlite International for years. I prefer it to propane stoves as I like to do a lot of above tree line and cold weather camping. A big plus for me is no propance cannisters and I can open the fuel can between uses and gauge exactly how much fuel I have been using and how much more cook time I can get out of it.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just ordered an Optimus Vega inverted stove a few days ago. My Primus "conventional" one pooped out around -10 or so a few weeks ago, got just hot enough to warm my water for some hot chocolate with aquavit, but then died. Used it a few times since closer to 20 degrees and it does ok, but I need a 4-season stove. Inverted seems to do the trick without having to resort to kerosene and priming, etc. Searched around for a while and found it for $62. I can't fathom the jetboil stuff, it looks like it's gone full retard. Here, buy a stove that you can ONLY use this pot on and when you want to use something else, you get to buy our proprietary cookingware! #lizardsuccess!

It's fun and creepy to just be standing there drinking some spiked hot chocolate when friends ride up in the darkness. "What are you doing?"...."Nothing...just drinking..."

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I just ordered an Optimus Vega inverted stove a few days ago. My Primus "conventional" one pooped out around -10 or so a few weeks ago, got just hot enough to warm my water for some hot chocolate with aquavit, but then died. Used it a few times since closer to 20 degrees and it does ok, but I need a 4-season stove. Inverted seems to do the trick without having to resort to kerosene and priming, etc. Searched around for a while and found it for $62. I can't fathom the jetboil stuff, it looks like it's gone full retard. Here, buy a stove that you can ONLY use this pot on and when you want to use something else, you get to buy our proprietary cookingware! #lizardsuccess!

It's fun and creepy to just be standing there drinking some spiked hot chocolate when friends ride up in the darkness. "What are you doing?"...."Nothing...just drinking..."
Yup