Quantcast

22/36/bash setup possible ?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
As I plan my summer biking trips I got to thinking about a new drive setup for my RFX. I need a larger middle ring than my current 32t, and I don't want to ditch my granny just yet.

Do any of you run a similar setup on your FR bikes?
Do you think there will be any shifting issues running 22/36?

Since I'm going to all this trouble I'm considering a chainguide setup as well. DRS or LRP. I know they are both a quality guide, but would one work better than the other with this type of setup? If I typically don't throw a chain, is it worth running a guide if I normally don't have issues?

I've never had a chainguide on any of my bikes, this would be my first.
Also, my frame has ISCG tabs (if that matters).

Thanks for all feedback.

Nick

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
This needs to be a sticky.

Yep, it's possible and frankly not an issue at all...works like a charm with or without a DRS guide. Never used an LRP myself, and I wouldn't bother if I had the choice.

I run mine on an RFX as well...perfect setup for the bike. It's worked fine on many other frames for me, too.

MD

Edit: By the way, use a flanged BB and forget the ISCG mounts on an RFX (or at least I had to; might be a year model incompatibility, tho... 03 frame-(or was it 02 that was the last model year- and a 02 DRS.)

Edit 2: 8spd 11-30 setup with a shortcage derailleur on mine, too.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
I am personally running a DRS with a 22 x 38 on my Big Hit DH. I have had ZERO problems with this set up on trails and racing. I run a SRAM X-7 out back with an XT in front and the new SRAM triggers. I'm all thumbs when it comes to shifting now and it's the best. For rear gears I use 12 x 24 for trail work and 11 x 21 for DH. Go with the DRS for a guide.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I am and have been running for the last two years, an LRP with a 24-36t. I have had really good luck with it, it is quiet and works great. I am sure a 22t would also work but one thing to consider is that smaller rings wear out faster and if you haven't already got one, you can get an 11-34t rear cassette. That would give you a comparable granny with less wear and tear. Or just get a 24t and once the 22t isn't an option, you will most likely find out you didn't need it in the first place. The DRS is killer also, especially since the "stealth" rollers have come out.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Originally posted by MikeD
This needs to be a sticky ... Edit: By the way, use a flanged BB and forget the ISCG mounts on an RFX (or at least I had to; might be a year model incompatibility, tho... 03 frame-(or was it 02 that was the last model year- and a 02 DRS.)
I remember reading that some RFX had improperly spec'd ISCG tabs, either set-back too far or improperly spaced. Is this why you make your recommendation to go with a BB mount for a guide?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Another thing ... I run compact RF cranks. I don't think RF makes a 36t ring for that BCD spec. (or do they?)

If they do not, what do y'all use for larger, compact rings?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Originally posted by punkassean ... if you haven't already got one, you can get an 11-34t rear cassette. That would give you a comparable granny with less wear and tear. [/B]
That is a good idea! Thanks :thumb:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by Nick
That is a good idea! Thanks :thumb:
However, by running a smaller cassette, you can also run a shortcage derailleur...which I personally prefer.

Try Blackspire (super pro series) for a 36t ring. I use Vuelta or a QBP engagement ring, but those *might* be 4/104 only.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by MikeD
However, by running a smaller cassette, you can also run a shortcage derailleur...which I personally prefer.

Try Blackspire (super pro series) for a 36t ring. I use Vuelta or a QBP engagement ring, but those *might* be 4/104 only.
I run an XT short cage and have for two years, no problems at all with a 34t cassette. If I had three rings up front then it might be a small problem, but this whole thread is about two rings and a basher. I don't get it??? As far as BCD, I run XTR cranks with 5x110 and race face rings and basher with my LRP guide. You might have problems with finding rings but I know for sure that Truvativ makes a 38t (shift ramp) middle ring for 4x104 so I'm sure they or someone else make a 36t as well. Now that setups like this are way more common, rings are much easier to find than a few years ago when I set mine up. Shouldn't be a problem...

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Originally posted by Kilgore
e-bob, are you running the drs with the iscg mounts or not?
My setup I use the DRS/E-mount front der. The ISCG holes on a Big Hit and the DRS don't match and will not allow you to run a bolt into the front der frame hard point. So the answer is no. However I will be taking the DRS off to fix that soon. The holes are pretty close and need just a little machine work to make it perfect for me. :D

On the E-mount DRS it is more important to line the E-mount holes up than the ISCG holes.

It all went together easy and has provided flawless opreation. Very good product. :thumb:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I am about to do the same to my FLY. I just ordered a 36T yesterday. I am going to try a 22/36 with the DRS. I was told by Evil that they only recommend a 22/34 but a 22/36 will work.

It funny because now I hear people running 22/38 with the DRS.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
I have that same setup on my VT. just 24/36/evil bash guard. ni guide. all race face rings. no issues. have had like that for like 6months

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by punkassean
I run an XT short cage and have for two years, no problems at all with a 34t cassette...

Might not be good on a bike with a lot of chain growth though
:D

I used a 22-36 combo for 2 years with a drs guide (older one) It worked pretty well most of the time, but would drop going to granny sometimes. I think using a E type would have helped.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by punkassean
I run an XT short cage and have for two years, no problems at all with a 34t cassette. If I had three rings up front then it might be a small problem, but this whole thread is about two rings and a basher. I don't get it???
Can't speak for your setup, but for me, if I set chain length for a big/big combo of 36t ring/34t cog, the chain slacks out too far when I'm in the 22t/11t small/small combo; it just hangs off the derailleur and there's no tension (using a shortcage derailleur).

Of course, I could avoid the smaller cogs when in the granny, but I prefer to set my stuff up foolproof, so when 1) I'm tired/in extremis or 2) a friend hops on the bike, there's nothing that could go wrong...and a too-short chain can damage derailleurs, hangers, and chains. (of course, the "right length" chain wouldn't break anything, but I don't like it hanging there, either).