Quantcast

22 inches of Love - it feels just right

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Who wants to try and predict when any of these things will be available for folks to purchase?

When's the Mk1 going to be available? and those sweet new rims?

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
RIDEINDUST prototype "2ton" frame --> 22" wheel specific:
****proto fabricated by mattt @ STOUT BIKES, Houston TX ****

[
next to a LIQUID Feedback 24":

Hey CMC,

are the wheels on the 24 from a WTP Avenue/Avenger? If so, did you have any issues with the front hub, because mine won't seem to adjust and has slight play in it. I've taken it apart several times, and gave it to another mechanic at my old shop to wrench on with no luck.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
are the wheels on the 24 from a WTP Avenue/Avenger? If so, did you have any issues with the front hub,
pretty sure you (or someone) asked this before... :D and yes, those hubs suck! loose ball junkers, IMO.

get one of the new Odyssey complete wheels from empire.....:thumb:

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
pretty sure you (or someone) asked this before... :D and yes, those hubs suck! loose ball junkers, IMO.

get one of the new Odyssey complete wheels from empire.....:thumb:
hmmm, doesn't ring a bell, but then again sometimes I like to drink and post. So it's not impossible.
And yeah, I'm pretty much sold on those Odyssey wheels. I was undecided about keeping the cruiser, but I rode the local trails last week on it and it reminded me why it needs to stay.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
awww man, Alzheimer's already?? Damn!!!
Guess I'll be picking up some Gingko Biloba

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Vernon's still riding his custom 22", although he's potentially going to build another proto that is shorter in the front--this one is 21.75".

(Fabricated by STOUT Bikes http://stoutbikes.blogspot.com/ . . . Matt at STOUT goes for high quality custom BMX and MTB builds, with obsessive attention to detail )

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
on my third double-shot espresso, started wondering if there was enough room to grind dropouts forward in a WTP Avenger to make a 22" wheel line up with the brake pads. answer: no. but it could be an interesting build. (just rigged for the pic--no headset, and wheel barely hanging on to 20" fork dropouts).

Last edited:

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Help!
My Faction is fitted with the old style headset with cups.
If I wanted to fit an integrated headset would I need to take the cups out or can I just drop the bearings in to the fitted cups?
Thanks

FullTwisting

Chimp
Dec 8, 2010
NC
Help!
My Faction is fitted with the old style headset with cups.
If I wanted to fit an integrated headset would I need to take the cups out or can I just drop the bearings in to the fitted cups?
Thanks
Those headset types are incompatible. To use an integrated headset, the head tube must be machined to accept the bearings. The Zeitgeist head tube was designed to accept cups for a standard (old-style) head set. The bearings from an integrated headset are actually a little bigger than standard bearings, and so will not fit into a standard headset cup.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Those headset types are incompatible. To use an integrated headset, the head tube must be machined to accept the bearings. The Zeitgeist head tube was designed to accept cups for a standard (old-style) head set. The bearings from an integrated headset are actually a little bigger than standard bearings, and so will not fit into a standard headset cup.
Many thanks. I guess I'll seek out out some good old fashioned bearings. :)
Funnily enough, on the Faction I think it helps with front end height.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
I just can't seem to get that headset on the faction to stay tight. Someone suggested I should try another spacer under the stem to help give a bit more bite. The forks turn stiff in the headtube too, that's the only way I can hold it and it comes loose after a few days. Maybe I over tightened it or something and need to replace the whole headset... sorry, rambling now...

FullTwisting

Chimp
Dec 8, 2010
NC
I just can't seem to get that headset on the faction to stay tight. Someone suggested I should try another spacer under the stem to help give a bit more bite. The forks turn stiff in the headtube too, that's the only way I can hold it and it comes loose after a few days. Maybe I over tightened it or something and need to replace the whole headset... sorry, rambling now...
Are you leaving a little bit of a gap between the top of the steer tube and the top of the stem? Like this:

If not, you won't be able to tension it properly. When tightening, it should be as loose as possible, but with no movement or "slop" of the steer tube.

Or maybe you have some grease on the steer tube or stem.

Check out this Park Tool page: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/threadless-headset-service. Maybe there is something there that can help.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Thanks. What would you call the old style headset by the way. As opposed to the intergrated one. I had a quick look at some on-line bike shops and can only see the newer , intergrated type. It bugs me when stuff is not compatible.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
is it possible you might have put one or both of the bearings upside down, or that you put the wrong ring on the wrong race? also check if one of the plastic "dust guard" rings is not fitting well. if you have it done correctly, it could still be just badly fabricated headset.

Last edited:

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Mmm. Sorry about the bad quality of this pic. Think you can see what it is though. That plastic piece that is resting on the frame (upside down) is chewed up. It couldn't have been fitting well and had been compressed. It was facing down, over the bearings. Some of the ball bearing fell out when I took the forks off. I put it back together but it's not good. Maybe I shouldn't ride it.. can I damage the frame if I do, like if the bearing cups are intergrated in the frame? I guess I should get a whole new headset before I ride it....

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Ok. I just re read above. So, the Faction is with cups, so the frame is not going to get damaged. Maybe I can just get some bearings and that plastic bit... Did you find bearings iksmudge?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Ok. I just re read above. So, the Faction is with cups, so the frame is not going to get damaged. Maybe I can just get some bearings and that plastic bit... Did you find bearings iksmudge?
Not sure I'm being clear. What I'm saying is buy a whole new headset. (Just a regular 1 1/8" Aheadset, non-integrated). They're not that expensive. It will come with new cups. You want to switch all of it, because the pieces of a headset are supposed to fit together well--the bearings need to sit in cups made for those bearings. In other words, do not buy a new headset, but leave the old cups in and switch only the bearings.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Not sure I'm being clear. What I'm saying is buy a whole new headset. (Just a regular 1 1/8" Aheadset, non-integrated). They're not that expensive. It will come with new cups. You want to switch all of it, because the pieces of a headset are supposed to fit together well--the bearings need to sit in cups made for those bearings. In other words, do not buy a new headset, but leave the old cups in and switch only the bearings.
Ha ha. Normaly you are crystal clear in your advice, but I don't get that. Ok, buy a new headset. That's good. ( "In other words, do not buy a new headset") - do you mean OR just get new bearings if I leave the old cups in?
I think I'll just get a new headset. Back in the day we used to bang the headset cups in with a piece of wood and hammer and knock out the old ones with the end of a screwdriver. Is that still the case? I could take it to my LBS, but I'd like to see how it goes together.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Do not buy a headset and use only the new bearings/races. Use the new cups too.

Try knocking the old cups out, if they're in there really well, your LBS will have proper tools. Might as well have them press the new cups in for you while you're there. They shouldn't have a problem doing just those 2 operations for you, leaving you to assemble the headset the rest of the way.
You might actually have them check the head tube, they'll have a tool to true up the ends, in case they're not perfectly perpendicular to the tube, and parallel to each other. (Possible cause of your issue)

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Haven't found one yet but a quick Internet scan reveals many around. The one fitted on the faction is a cane creek one. There are loads of these avaiable.
I was going to do what cmc suggested. Buy one and then if the bearings fit the existing cups use the new ones.
I think a quick trip to the bike shop would be quicker to be honest.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . .I was going to do what cmc suggested. Buy one and then if the bearings fit the existing cups use the new ones.
. . . .
Heh, No! I was saying do NOT use the existing cups. (Even if they "seem" to fit. The idea is that headsets are precision machined and even a small mis-match can mess things up.)

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Heh, No! I was saying do NOT use the existing cups. (Even if they "seem" to fit. The idea is that headsets are precision machined and even a small mis-match can mess things up.)
I meant if I can find the equivalent cane creek headset then I would just replace the bearings. However, you may as well replace the whole thing and get your local bike shop to do it for you as in the long run this would be easier.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
I think you can. For example, this one http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_48&products_id=5339
Actually, I was in some bike shops today, and from what I can gather, a 1 1/8th ahead headset is the same as most mountain bike headsets, like the hope I have on my xc/downhill bike. They look different because the cups are big and bubbly - but that's what they recommended me to buy.
Nice find. All looks straight forward. Easy tool to build to fit the cups. Just need to find a long enough threaded steel bar, some bolts and then some big washers, much like a tool you'd build to fit bb bearings. Though tbh, I think I'll leave it to the experts at my local bike shop while I'm at work :)

FullTwisting

Chimp
Dec 8, 2010
NC
Do any of you know what kind of driver the Quando hubs on the Zeitgeist uses? I'm wondering what would be needed to switch to a 10T.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Nah. Not yet. Next on the list though. dont know how much difference it's gonna make though
I had one of those; oh what the hell moments.
Took the bike to my local bike shop to have a new half link chain fitted and new a new sealed AHeadet (FSA).
Pick it up on Wednesday. Can't wait!
Just have to ride my Model C now. :)

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Yeah, me too. Got my pig headset fitted today. The frame needed to be faced, the old cups had not been sitting perfectly flush. Bunged on new stem and pedals too. Gotta slam that rear wheel now.

FullTwisting

Chimp
Dec 8, 2010
NC
Finally have one built up! Check it out.

Faction frame/fork/wheels/tires, some Stolen Cheater parts, and a few other odds and ends.

FullTwisting

Chimp
Dec 8, 2010
NC
Thanks man.

I plan on trying some dirt jumping again using this. My first outing on the small beginner table-top jumps went OK on my 20" Dirtbike, but it felt really squirly and I busted kinda hard towards the end. I'm hoping the 22" will be a bit more stable for me.

I added this bike to the Museum if anyone wants to check out more details. There are only 3 Faction bikes listed on the Museum. Someone with an Amero needs to put one up over there! (hint hint). :D