Quantcast

22 inches of Love - it feels just right

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
One of the Faction riders told me that he grinded the axle slots in the rear dropouts about 10-15mm and it made a world of difference in pop and manuals...
Was he running it brakeless? I would have thought the tire would hit the break arms before you could slam it that far.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Thanks man.

I plan on trying some dirt jumping again using this. My first outing on the small beginner table-top jumps went OK on my 20" Dirtbike, but it felt really squirly and I busted kinda hard towards the end. I'm hoping the 22" will be a bit more stable for me.

I added this bike to the Museum if anyone wants to check out more details. There are only 3 Faction bikes listed on the Museum. Someone with an Amero needs to put one up over there! (hint hint). :D
What museum?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Was he running it brakeless? I would have thought the tire would hit the break arms before you could slam it that far.
here's a pic of my wheel almost slammed forward in the dropout. as you can see there is more rear-triangle frame room and more brake pad adjustment room. so cutting the dropout slots further forward would work. (i did it on several frames back in the late 90's !).

also i threw on a 30t sprocket (30/9 for a nice stout 73.3 gear inches). hauls ass on street rides.... like the weekly thursday night social rides:

Last edited:

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
christ, 73 gear inches on a bmx! im at 61.3. my friend is on 30/9 on a 20, putting him at 66.666666, and that even looks like hes pedaling a road bike

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
christ, 73 gear inches on a bmx! im at 61.3. my friend is on 30/9 on a 20, putting him at 66.666666, and that even looks like hes pedaling a road bike
yeah! that's the only way to keep up with roadies ! (it kinda freaks them out when you out-crank them...)

there's some local trails/street shredders around here that run 44/12-ish on 20"s. 73 gear inches.

turner's bike:

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
i have a spiral pedestrian bridge a few blocks from my place and on the first ride around the neighborhood after upping my gearing, i was strugging to pedal up the spiral lol

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'm in need of some 22 inch tires. Does anyone know of any place I can get some?

Faction seems to be out of stock.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
If any of you want a pair (or more) of these same 36 hole 22" Velocity rims, lemme know. I can PM the details.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
http://thebikecheck.blogspot.com/2010/10/faction-amero-mk1.html

Frame Specs:
100% 4130 Sanko (or Reynolds) cromo, 21.5" toptube
Integrated headset with holes for gyro tabs
75 degree head angle, 71 degree seat tube angle
Spanish sealed b/b
12.5 inch b/b height
13.6" rear end
5mm dropouts
38" wheelbase
Tapered rear tubes
Double-butted heat-treated tubing
4.7lb

this thing is taking WAY too long to get to the market place....

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Wow that's a very short back end.
Good bb height though.
And will it really be 21.5 tt?
The faction is supposed to be 21.5 but it definitely isn't. I have a model c in 21.25 and it definitely has a longer tt than my faction - I laid thd frames on top of each other and the model c tt was longer.
When I measured the faction tt from middle of seat tube tube to front of tt is was 21.5 but was 21 centre to centre.
So be careful with measures!

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
that frame is never coming out...

I wish Faction would do some updates or something. Give us some timelines/dates.

I think the back end is damm near perfect on that frame. The other frame was WAY too long in the back end. I do think the BB is too tall on that frame though.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Also, no toe scrub on the Amero... this thing is a full on trail slayer... pops so good. Haven't heard from Keith and the Faction boys in awhile though.
I heard from Keith recently. My front tyre blew up because I stupidly twisted the inner tube. The sent over a new inner tube and tyre in a good deal.
I guess we just have to be patient. They are only a small company with small resources and so can't move as quick as the bigger companies can.
The only other way the could move quicker would be to licence out their designs to someone like S&M but then we as customers would pay more for this.
On some ways I prefer it like this as it is like being part of an exclusive club!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
http://thebikecheck.blogspot.com/2010/10/faction-amero-mk1.html

Frame Specs:
100% 4130 Sanko (or Reynolds) cromo, 21.5" toptube
Integrated headset with holes for gyro tabs
75 degree head angle, 71 degree seat tube angle
Spanish sealed b/b
12.5 inch b/b height
13.6" rear end
5mm dropouts
38" wheelbase
Tapered rear tubes
Double-butted heat-treated tubing
4.7lb

this thing is taking WAY too long to get to the market place....
there's always Standard, Solid, and Stout to get a custom, but yeah the Amero looks dialed !

Macneil oughta do a Deuce Deuce Deuce Deuce (22" tt / 22" wheels) !

Macneil Deuce Deuce

http://www.macneilbmx.com/blog/tag/deuce-deuce/

Faction Amero:

http://wideopenmag.co.uk/news/3197/faction-bike-co-the-22-bmx-project-video-interview

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
from Faction's Facebook.... Micke Svedberg's 22" SE !!!

hmmm 22"s on a 20" frame. (with 22" fork). i can see pros and cons....

Last edited:

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
from Faction's Facebook.... Micke Svedberg's 22" SE !!!

hmmm 22"s on a 20" frame. (with 22" fork). i can see pros and cons....

The biggest con being no brakes!
The Sunday conductor frame is very close to an ideal 22" frame but a purpose built frame is the way to go. Now what if liquid were to get in the game.....

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
proto of the new Faction street tire from their Facebook page.... they're still working on getting them available.

custom tires aint cheap. all the big companies apparently require 2000 and 5000 piece minimums....

the new rims...

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
I havent' had any problems with 20 inch tubes. I blew one of my 22 tubes though. When the other one goes I'll replace it was a 20. Put plenty of chalk dust around the tube. Can't wait for those new tires though.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
That would be how I'd do it! Custom is the bomb. Stout is still hella reasonable too, and from what I've seen, the quality is excellent.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Are those the Faction wheels/tires?

that thing looks SICK. do want.

FullTwisting

Chimp
Dec 8, 2010
NC

Tires look like Faction, but the rims look more like the Velocity Taipans that have been going around. I'm guessing that the only thing Faction on this one are the tires.

It does look pretty gosh darned sick though! :D Very modern looking bike.

How are you guys liking those Taipans? Are they holding up? I hope so, 'cause I'm building some myself! :rofl:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Here's a pic of that Standard.

wow that looks reaaaaaally good. whose is it? know the geo?

yeah, definitely the Velocity rims that Vernon and I have. i can get more for anybody who wants some.
those look like the tires that came on the Zeitgeist.

Last edited: