Quantcast

22 inches of Love - it feels just right

2whlrdr

Chimp
Jun 17, 2011
Marion ia
Thanks for all the interest:)here is some specs,74.5 ht,14in rear,12.5 bb,all ox platinum tubing including the fork.Frame weight 4.6 lbs,fork 2.3 lbs,Velocity rims from Vernon with Faction tires,This bike is hands down the best bike i have ever thrown a leg over!I have been in the bmx game since the late 70's and a hardcore trail rider for over 30 years and have to say this bike is a trail slayer!!Have known and raced and rode with Rick Moliterno most of my life and it was time for this bike to happen to open peoples eyes to another option in bmx in the USA!I really want the 22 to succeed as it is such a rad wheel size and thanks to Faction for having the balls to get this rolling!

FullTwisting

Chimp
Dec 8, 2010
NC
I finally got my new wheels built. Just some Velocity Taipans and Stolen brand Odyssey clones, but they are soooo much better than the stock Quandos. Also went with a 11T driver and 28T Tree spline drive.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Just thinking how bored i am with Faction not releasing their new stuff... but also how much I still like me Zietgeist. Anyway.. here's a picture of it now. I just wanna change the cranks, tyres and maybe wheels. Also a pic compared to the Sunday wave c.. which is the other bike i would consider. I really liked the way it rode... although it doesn't feel any bigger than than the 22

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Never paid this thread much attention... and thought the 22" was the top tube length rather than the wheel size. wow.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Just thinking how bored i am with Faction not releasing their new stuff... but also how much I still like me Zietgeist. Anyway.. here's a picture of it now. I just wanna change the cranks, tyres and maybe wheels. Also a pic compared to the Sunday wave c.. which is the other bike i would consider. I really liked the way it rode... although it doesn't feel any bigger than than the 22

I have the wave C. You are right, it doesn't feel any bigger. If you get the right handle bar then the cockpit sizes are virtually the same.
I also have an original Sunday Model C frame (21.25"TT) in black - this is the thermal treated one that Sunday brought out first time. Happy to sell if you are interested!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Faction dropped the ball for sure. So many other peps building up 22's now. someone with purchasing power will be getting tires made soon. bet on it.

hmcoleap

Chimp
Dec 5, 2011
Hey guys,

Here's my 22" ride --

Those of you who aren't old school fans might want to take a steaming pile on this, but I love it. It is a modified Hutch Trick Star rider... Tim the Frame Doc did the mod/fab work on it, and Chip at C4labs did the powder coat. I love the way this thing rides. It started life as a US built Hutch Trick Star that needed some repair work, and now it sits on a 22" Faction wheelset. Most other parts are Hutch, redline cranks, cheapie Odyssey brakes w/Eclat pads... has a 21.5" TT length. It is definitely my favorite rider (my Hutch XL24 is second)

XL22.jpg

-Manny

hmcoleap

Chimp
Dec 5, 2011
I got a decent looking set of 22"x1.9" skinwall old school snake belly tires over at bmxmuseum.com, still have to put them on my rider

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I got a decent looking set of 22"x1.9" skinwall old school snake belly tires over at bmxmuseum.com, still have to put them on my rider
I think your TrickStar 22" is awesome !! I'm wondering how you modified the fork--just longer dropouts to give an extra inch of room, or a totally new fork?
BTW, if you (or anyone else in this thread) is interested, I have more brand new pairs of the Velocity 36 hole rims that are pictured earlier in this thread. PM me if interested.

Last edited:

hmcoleap

Chimp
Dec 5, 2011
"Lengthened" the fork legs; not ideal and added some weight, but worth it to maintain all the original dropouts, pegs and steer tube on the O.G. Hutch fork. PM on the way about the rims...

-Manny

I think your TrickStar 22" is awesome !! I'm wondering how you modified the fork--just longer dropouts to give an extra inch of room, or a totally new fork?
BTW, if you (or anyone else in this thread) is interested, I have more brand new pairs of the Velocity 36 hole rims that are pictured earlier in this thread. PM me if interested.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Trick star is classic for sure. How tall are you? that thing looks like it's strait outta the '80's. Just missing the ACS Rotor! even though the stem seems to be more than high enough..... :D

hmcoleap

Chimp
Dec 5, 2011
I am not real big, only about 5'10" 180lbs. The bike feels big and comfortable. I also have a 20" Trick Star (the black one), which I ride when I want to snap off my old school tricks more... it feels really small, especially with that short TT. The 22" Trick Star is my favorite all around rider. I have an O.G. Hutch 2n1 headset lock and stem stiffener on there right now, and the O.G. Mike D bars are tall, too -- have an ACS rotor ready to go in my parts box, but back in the day I always ran a long rear cable instead of the rotor - so I haven't put it on yet... I used to just spin the bars back the other way after tricks to correct the cable

Trick star is classic for sure. How tall are you? that thing looks like it's strait outta the '80's. Just missing the ACS Rotor! even though the stem seems to be more than high enough..... :D

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
woah, check this out.... several different good/decent-looking 22" bmx tires on UK eBay..... :
BICYCLE Tyre 22" x 2.20 Street Park Bmx Tyre - BLACK

I just ordered one of those tyres. I'll let you know how it is.

FullTwisting

Chimp
Dec 8, 2010
NC
woah, check this out.... several different good/decent-looking 22" bmx tires on UK eBay..... :
BICYCLE Tyre 22" x 2.20 Street Park Bmx Tyre - BLACK

I just ordered one of those tyres. I'll let you know how it is.
Hmmm, interesting! I'll be looking forward to your impressions. I ride in all kinds of terrain, so I generally prefer something with tread, but it's good to know there's something else out there. I sure wish I could get some Odyssey K-Lyte Aitkens or Dirt Paths in 22! :)

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Tyre arrived today. I fit it but havn't ridden it. I'm impressed with how it looks. It's about the same weight as the Faction tyres, a tad more. I got one of the 22 x 2.20. (Faction is 22 x 2.125) It looks much smaller than the Faction tyres which suits me on the back. lets me take another link out my chain. Oh yeah.. 110 p.s.i. written on the side. I'm not sure how it would be for a front tyre.
I only have a crappy handpump so havn't inflated it up hard. It may buff out a bit.

I won't know until I've ridden it awhile but looks like a fairly good quality tyre on par with the Faction one but with a park type tread.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Tyre arrived today. I fit it but havn't ridden it. I'm impressed with how it looks . . . . .
Any chance you could take some comparison pics (with the Faction tire) and some closeups of the tire itself (especially the writing on it, etc.)?

Which eBay vendor did you buy it from?

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Will do. I bought it from bikewharehouseltd, which is the 3rd one on your list and the cheapest. They sold out of 10 tyres in 2 days after I bought my first one, which was interesting. They restocked now and i ordered another one. If you look at the picture of that tyre and the Pirhana one , the tread looks the same, although the name is different , it's "Meghna"
When I get the chance I'll do the pics. i remember when i first got the Faction I thought the tyres were very fat, but I've gotten used to it now, so these ones look a bit skinny but probably they're not too bad.

Gibby403

Chimp
Aug 27, 2011
What would be the specs you would give to S&M to have them make a custom 22" bike frame.
Also would a Liquid frame work if your put 22" rims on the bike? I think the 22" frame is rad, but I don't like how right now there is no street tires for this bike. Also that the frame is made across the pond. Which makes shipping a hassle. Any how the scene over in the U.K seems to be top notch with better parks and creative fabricators and what not. I don't know maybe I've been under a rock or something. Just questioning my
P.24 Purchase

Gibby403

Chimp
Aug 27, 2011
Yeah, thanks for replying i did not know you could just put on 22" rims on my p.24. Does Alienation make 22" rims or is that a special made rim?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
What would be the specs you would give to S&M to have them make a custom 22" bike frame.
Also would a Liquid frame work if your put 22" rims on the bike? I think the 22" frame is rad, but I don't like how right now there is no street tires for this bike. Also that the frame is made across the pond. Which makes shipping a hassle. Any how the scene over in the U.K seems to be top notch with better parks and creative fabricators and what not. I don't know maybe I've been under a rock or something. Just questioning my
P.24 Purchase
heh heh, go back and read through the thread a little more. i just located some street tires (see the post on the previous page with the eBay links). 22" tubes are available in the USA from amazon.com. i have a batch of Velocity rims, if you're interested, PM me--(the pics are posted in this thread). spokes are not common but definitely available. 208mm spokes are known to work with a low-flange front hub. i can't remember the spoke length for a high flange rear.

. . . . and will 22"s work on a Liquid or P.24 ? answer: kind of. your rear brakes aren't likely to line up, so you'll probably have to either ride brakeless or get new mounts welded onto your frame. (however, i'm not sure--maybe there would be room to grind your dropouts further forward, combined with a brakes with a lot of brake pad adjustment, so it might work). next, the fork and front wheel won't look quite right, because you'll have an extra inch of gap above your front wheel up to the fork crown. mtb riders aren't bothered by that though, when they ride 24" wheels on a 26"-wheel frame. the bottom bracket is going to drop an inch. but, with high-bottom-bracket frames like the Sunday Model C, that shouldn't be any problem at all. the liquid and p.24 are medium-high bb's so i don't think there would be ground clearance issues there either.

FACTION is making the Amero frame, but so far they haven't been on sale. the best option is custom-built 22"-wheel specific frame and 22"-specific fork. S&M has made the fork before, but i haven't seen any frames so far. STOUT here in Texas has built 22" frame, and STANDARD has built a few as well. Matt at STOUT is super busy these days, but if he has time, I'm sure he would be stoked to do another one. plus his prices tend to be pretty reasonable.

as for geo, i have some pretty strong ideas about how i want my custom 22" but i'm not posting it quite yet until i do it first !

i don't think you screwed up by getting 24"s. all this is really just a fun experiment if you like having interesting bikes. for me, personally, i still jump most of the time on 26", and ride street/park on 24"s. the 22" is a replacement for my 20"--like a comfortable verison of a 20".

Yeah, thanks for replying i did not know you could just put on 22" rims on my p.24. Does Alienation make 22" rims or is that a special made rim?
No, nobody makes good rims that I know of besides the new Faction rims (which aren't available yet) and the Velocity rims that we (Webbco/InDust) here in Texas got made.

Last edited:

Gibby403

Chimp
Aug 27, 2011
Thanks again everyone for your time and input. It really is just a fun experiment. CMC when you come up with your specs for your 22" i'll be digging the photos of the bike. Until then I'll just try to shut up and ride.
peace.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
OK. The tyre works pretty well, except there was a wobble in it. I'm not sure though if this is gonna be such a big deal. Both my Faction tyres have wobbles. This was a bit more extreme but I put like 100 psi in it, which I think was too much. I let air out, it still had a wobble but rode without feeling it. Grip is good. Rolls good. I'm really happy with it on the back. In comparison actually it's not as thin as it looks when you line it with the Faction tyre. I've ordered another one.

It also says on it Minimum 85 psi as well as the maximum. Can't beleive nobody found this before. Nice one cmc

Gibby403

Chimp
Aug 27, 2011
Are the new 22" frames going to be sold as a frame & fork? Or is it the whole bike. And when are they going to be available. I say 22" and 24" Classes at the X-games. That would be rad. Along with a senior league.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
following up on the question of grinding dropouts forward and using brake pad adjustment to make a 22" rear wheel work on a 24"-wheel frame:

here's a DK General Lee:

as you can see there is room to grind the drops:

and Tektro brakes have a lot of brake pad adjustment travel.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Are the new 22" frames going to be sold as a frame & fork? Or is it the whole bike. And when are they going to be available. I say 22" and 24" Classes at the X-games. That would be rad. Along with a senior league.
Faction says the Amero frame and fork is supposed to be available in February. You can get custom frames from Standard or STOUT right now, though. S&M sells a custom 22" fork.

I don't think there should be different classes at all, any more than there should be different classes for different height riders or different length top tube bikes.... ; )