Quantcast

22 inches of Love - it feels just right

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
That red Standard is sick looking. We need to start seeing these things built up!

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
I know. Weird huh?
I bought a Premium spindle drive set of cranks assuming they would slot right in.
When I took out the factory fitted cranks the spindle of the premium cranks were really loose. So I measured the spindle on the stock cranks and it was 20mm. They have a quite old 8 spline spindle so I was very surprised.
Just measured the BB width and it's 37mm so that makes it a Spanish BB.
Must say, the weight difference is huge between the factory fitted cranks and today's new ones.
Thanks for your help guys.
Just to confirm: I just fitted a new BB to my faction and it has a Spanish BB.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
View attachment 112041 Built it up and got a ride in finally.
Looks awesome man! My 22 revenge wheels were under tensioned. I just had to put 2 full turns on every nipple (.5 at a time) and then true and get rid of the hops... I should have put more tension on the spokes before I even rode them. The wheels are pretty decent just warning you.

So what are your thoughts?

jcordera

Chimp
Mar 26, 2012
Denver, CO
They seem to be doing well, but I will definitely be adjusting them too. This is the best bike I've ridden. I was surprised on how light the build came out.(guessing 20-22lbs range?) I don't care too much about these things, but being a smaller guy I do appreciate it. It is definitely the most stable feeling bike I've had, fast like a 24 but still very maneuverable. I am a believer in the 22" haha

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
MattyBMX says this is the best bike he's ever jumped. and he's got 30 plus years experience jumping bmx bikes. S&M Holmes.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle

*everytime I embed a pic, I get some lame ass popup window.....wtf

jcordera

Chimp
Mar 26, 2012
Denver, CO
North Barnum actually. Took it to Frisco and some other denver area parks. I can compare it to a well playing guitar, once you pick it up...you never want to stop playing it. As soon as I get a truck I 'm building a resi/foam pit.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
big thanks to CMC and S&M. InDust frame, S&M fork/wheels/tires. I pulled the bars back a bit and it feels much better. I'd like to throw a short stem on it but can't afford one right now. I also need to hit some dirt jumps on it.

Shiny

Chimp
May 10, 2012
Victoria BC Canada
big thanks to CMC and S&M. InDust frame, S&M fork/wheels/tires. I pulled the bars back a bit and it feels much better. I'd like to throw a short stem on it but can't afford one right now. I also need to hit some dirt jumps on it.
Looks killer! I was gonna buy that frame a few months ago from CMC but had some stuff go sideways in my life. How do you like it? I still want a 22!
Where abouts in Seattle are you? I go down to Marysville quite alot.

-Shiny

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I haven't gotten to ride it much. I feels pretty good, a little long for me but the stem is 52mm so a shorter one might be better. My back has been pretty jacked for the last few weeks and the weather sucks so I've gotten minimal riding time.

I'm in the city of seattle. west side,yo'

There used to be jumps in Marysville. I'd imagine there may still be but kids are lazy these days and just go to the skatepark....

Shiny

Chimp
May 10, 2012
Victoria BC Canada
Did lots of cruising in my hot rods on Alkai Beach! Woot!

Too bad about your back, I know the feeling, its called aging! Ha!
My kids are bugging me to get a bike, was gonna re-do my BMX that I raced in the 70s n 80s but I will kill it!
I told them I need a 22! Just got to figure out my best option to get the parts for one here in Canada or get one shipped to my buddies tattoo shop in Marysville
There is an S&M dealer here near me, but their price will be threw the roof!

-Shiny

jcordera

Chimp
Mar 26, 2012
Denver, CO
Would anyone be interested in buying my custom standard? I am not really going to have time to ride w/school/work.(I've only ridden 3 times :(...... I can send you more pics(there is some in this thread)

azaussie

Chimp
Dec 8, 2012
Would anyone be interested in buying my custom standard? I am not really going to have time to ride w/school/work.(I've only ridden 3 times :(...... I can send you more pics(there is some in this thread)
What is the top tube length?

tecnic1

Chimp
Dec 8, 2012
I too am an old dude (36) coming back after a bunch of years to ride park with my kids.

I dug my Wilkerson Airlines Riot out first and found it too small and generally lame. Besides I would hate to break something difficult to replace on it.

I then tried a cheap Diamond Back Session 24 with 8 inch bars, and although it was more fun then the Riot, it felt awkward, especially in the air.

So I built a 22" Holmes (21.5 top tube) and concur that it rides more or less how I remember 20s riding. The front end feels way lighter then anything I can remember though. Overall I highly recommend it for the arthritic, "I haven't rode in 20 years" crowd.

RIP72

Chimp
Jan 7, 2013
Austin
PNJ, how do you like the Faction compared to the S&M Holmes that you have ridden? Only asking as I am looking at ordering the S&M, but had also been looking at the Faction. I have the Wave C 24", but looking for something more agile then it.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
That Faction isn't mine.

I haven't ridden one.

I don't think anyone in the USA has ridden the new frame yet. I know some of the prototypes were sent to some guys about three years ago.

The Holmes is rad and my Indust is rad. That is all I know. :)

RIP72

Chimp
Jan 7, 2013
Austin
I thought you had ridden it with the post, as I had read previous posts you were waiting on them to become available. Like everyone else has commented, I can't get the Faction guys to respond back to emails.

Guess I'll leave it to either the Holmes or Indust then. Luckily I think the local bike shop here is going to start carrying the 22" line of parts in a few weeks, so should make it much easier to get parts, at least the S&M stuff anyway.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Empire should be able to get S&M stuff.

That is all that is available right now. I'll believe the Faction stuff when I see it. Until then, as far as I am concerned, their stuff hasn't been made. :)

*I'm waiting like everyone else for quality stuff and Faction may be the company but I have long since lost faith in their ability to get products to their customers.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
PNJ, how do you like the Faction compared to the S&M Holmes that you have ridden? Only asking as I am looking at ordering the S&M, but had also been looking at the Faction. I have the Wave C 24", but looking for something more agile then it.
i see you're in austin. you're welcome to test ride my faction zeitgeist and InDust 2ton for comparison. . . .

RIP72

Chimp
Jan 7, 2013
Austin
i see you're in austin. you're welcome to test ride my faction zeitgeist and InDust 2ton for comparison. . . .
Might take you up on that. Wasn't the Faction complete you have an odd geometry that they were changing up drasitcally on the next release? I rode Pepper's Indust a bit on Sunday, no jumping, but can definitely tell the advantages of the 22" wheels over the 24". BTW, I IM'd you about the Velocity rims as well.

I need to find a home for a couple of Sunday 24's before I get to serious.

RIP72

Chimp
Jan 7, 2013
Austin
That disc setup os pretty sick, but wonder how it works with soft braking...

@CMC, question regarding a much older post where you had the Meghna 22" X 2.2" tire. What did you think of that tire, and how did it hold up? Also, do you recall what the shipping cost was from the UK seller?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
That disc setup os pretty sick, but wonder how it works with soft braking...

@CMC, question regarding a much older post where you had the Meghna 22" X 2.2" tire. What did you think of that tire, and how did it hold up? Also, do you recall what the shipping cost was from the UK seller?
The Meghna tires were problematic because quite a few of them had a bulge when inflated above like 45 psi; however not all of them did. Vernon was able to get a few out of the batch that held up fine. Don't waste your time and money with them though.

The new Faction F22 folding tire is out, and the reports are positive.
http://www.bikeguide.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171835&page=21

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'm riding one of those Meghna tires that I got from cmc. As I said in that other thread, it's ok. I wouldn't compare it to the new Faction tires. it has some side wobble and the rubber isn't that good but it's not a knobby tire like the S&M tires.

I have heard other people having issues with them blowing up/off the rim, etc. They are rated for 85 and UP PSI but I only run around 60.

I weigh 150 though so that may come into play. I will be replacing my tires as soon as something else is available. I'm not paying shipping for 2 tires from Faction.

RIP72

Chimp
Jan 7, 2013
Austin
Thanks CMC and PNJ, guess I'll drop that as possible solution. Regarding he Faction tires, I am going to try to work a deal with them for 5-10 sets of tires, and see what I can get the shipping dropped to something more reasonable. The $32 shipping is crazy for just a pair of tires. Might be willing to pay that for 5-10 sets, but not a single pair. Anyone interested??

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Thanks CMC and PNJ, guess I'll drop that as possible solution. Regarding he Faction tires, I am going to try to work a deal with them for 5-10 sets of tires, and see what I can get the shipping dropped to something more reasonable. The $32 shipping is crazy for just a pair of tires. Might be willing to pay that for 5-10 sets, but not a single pair. Anyone interested??
I already just did that. PM me.