Quantcast

24 hours in Reykjavík?

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
The GF and I are taking advantage of IcelandAir's no-additional-cost layover day on a Europe trip next month, and I'm looking for recommendations from Monkeys on a modest hotel and sightseeing options. Yeah, it's not much time, and I understand the airport is a bit of a drive outside of Reykjavík, but surely there are worthy things to see and do our first time in Iceland. Whacha got?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
There is a small hotdog shack down by the waterfront. You must go eat there. As many as you can in fact, they are fantastic.

Same goes for the carrot cake. The folks in Iceland know how to make a mean piece of carrot cake.

Most times you can get a shuttle back to the airport that will drop you at the Blue Lagoon. It was a good way to relax and play around before flying out.

We did a one day photographic tour where our driver shuttled us around what seemed like a fair bit of the island. It's a big place and fairly easy to navigate due to the lack of roads, but be prepared if you attempt to venture inland very much, outside of the main road that circumnavigates the island the interior is pretty rugged with few paved roads and the potential for some serious off roading.

The hostels there were pretty nice if you choose to go that route as well.

It is a pretty fun little place. The city itself is very unique and different from other European cities. The people are super nice too. Have fun!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
You are not allowed to Pee on Rock Icons even in Iceland. If Bjork asked for you to Pee on her then maybe that would be OK as she isn't really a Rock Icon and I almost sure she would be into it. **** find Bjork and Pee on her. Could be a fun time.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks for the reply and the suggestions; that gives me a start on planning. Perhaps our appetites will be whetted for a return trip. Peeing on Bjork is probably gonna have to wait.