Quantcast

24 Hours In The Old Pueblo

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
This year's Old Pueblo was a best of.

Best event organization (a sell out), best event weather yet, best volunteers, course in the best condition ever, we got the best camping spot we've had yet, most all of my best friends were there, it was our best team effort, my personal best performance (at least in the fat and 50 class), on and on. If someone had turned off the wind machine it would have been an absolutely perfect event.

It was guy's weekend again, my son came along for the fourth year straight. We got in early Friday morning and watched the desert turn into a massive city of RV's and trailers. Our team rented a RV as well and I must say it made things a lot easier. Our group consisted of three duo teams and ours, a five person co-ed team.

After getting all set up on Friday we relaxed and checked out the venue. The expo consisted of some good vendors including Stan's, Camelbak, Siren Bicycles, Dirt Rag (thanks for the "ride a f**king bike" stickers guys!), Nite Rider and more. We went back to the RV for a lasagna dinner and chilled. I had little sleep preparing for the event so I hit the hay early on Friday and missed the majority of the fireside activities.

Up and at them early on race day, recharged and ready to go. We attended the riders meeting and prepared for the start. Doug started for our team and I was rider number two so after the start I went back to camp to prepare for my first lap.

My first outing was pumped up and I rode real choppy, pushing too big of gears most of the time. Our whole team rode close to the same times on the first lap and we felt we were doing fairly well. When Doug finished his second lap the sickness he had been fighting took hold so the rest of us stepped up for the night laps. By my second lap (first night lap) I tried working on riding smooth and consistently and found my rhythm. I pulled my best night lap time ever at OP. We all had a decent second outing and I fell into lead off position for my third lap (3:00 AM). Marcia followed and had a crash with a large rider trying to force a pass which involved some posterior cactus removal on Marcia's part. Nice guy.

When I arrived back from the 3:00 AM lap Doode's better half had a hot plate of pancakes on the table before I could even get out of my riding clothes. Most welcome!

The remaining team members all had three laps in and it was determined that I would take the fourth and stretch it out to 12:00 for the finish. I was taking my time to burn up the clock when I was met by part of our team at parking lot where the June Bug Trail begins, Doug was up and feeling better and wanted another lap, kick up the pace! I didn't think it was possible at this point to make it back in by 12:00. I crossed the road from the June Bug Trail to the High Point Trail at 11:25 with the big climb ahead. Shortly after starting, a passing rider pushed me into a barrel cactus which caught my foot. This sparked a good deal of anger which aided me in pushing up the hill in record time (at least for me), reaching the exchange tent by 11:45. Doug turned in a good lap increasing our team position. We had three first time riders on our team and I'm sure this event will entice them to attend many more.

Things I missed:

Kona free beer

The fire dance

The topless girl with the painted on jersey (although my 11 year old son met her "nose to point" so to speak)

Thanks to Todd and Epic Rides for another great event!

Our team race results here...

My son surveying the still sparse 24 Hour Town on Friday morning

For BAH

My idea of a great "go to races" truck

Our home for the weekend arrives

Down at the expo area

Siren Bicycles

Packet pick up line forming

IMBA rig- the trials bike caught my eye

Marty and Bob Marley

Kona free beer, the beacon in the night

Back at the campfire (photo by Russ)

Nice fire (photo by Russ)

Race day! (photo by Russ)

Some French press goodness to start the day

Riders meeting

The last I saw of my single speed for the weekend

Interesting team attire

First rider check-in featuring Geoff and Jeff

Busted on sneak shot (same girl as last year!)

My favorite shot of the event; Doug receives a complimentary pre-race tire wash

Tinker and banana (photo by Marty)

Race start

Tinker start (photo by Russ)

Tyler on the course (youngest registered rider, with our group) (photo by Russ)

Me starting first lap, my son couldn't decide who to take the picture of...

Doode's secret weapon, the Rat Fink bell

UKJason was well represented

The bike tree in our campground

Mt. Lemmon sunset

Okay, I'll quit now. If interested, feel free to check out the complete album here.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thanks for the review.

That bike tree looks like the one that hooked my eyelid last year.

Someone needs to find a picture of the painted jersey girl.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Beast from the East vs West Coast Choade lickers vs SouthWest Willy Wackers? I like our odds.

Is it wrong to smack talk this much 362 days before the event?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
You do not count as "west coast". But I will blatantly recruit the fastest dudes I know to help me beat your southwest cronies into the sand...
I'll prolly be drinking a lot and riding my Stinky, so don't spend too much time recruiting.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I'd still like to do it solo, but would be open to team suggestions. My schedule for this year includes 3 12/13 hour races (solo), a 24 (probably team), and at least 2 100 milers (The three remaining races have not posted anything but to say 'endurance' for distance, but rumor says 100 each.)

If I can hold that fitness, I should be golden. Granted I could also be a "West Coaster" again by then, so who knows?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd still like to do it solo, but would be open to team suggestions. My schedule for this year includes 3 12/13 hour races (solo), a 24 (probably team), and at least 2 100 milers (The three remaining races have not posted anything but to say 'endurance' for distance, but rumor says 100 each.)

If I can hold that fitness, I should be golden. Granted I could also be a "West Coaster" again by then, so who knows?
Moving west is acceptable but turning your back on the Beast From The East is punishable by death. Beast Fo life yo.

What 12 hour races are you planning?

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
What 12 hour races are you planning?
Leesburg 13 hour Baker's Dozen - 4/21
12 Hours of Lodi Farms - 5/6
12 Hours of Cranky Monkey (quantico) - 6/24

Gotta keep it close this year with the kid.

And no turning my back. Beast will always get my vote / participation if needed.