Quantcast

24 hours in the old pueblo!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I did it back in it's infancy. It got pretty cold (to me 40 was cold at the time) and windy at night. Watch out for those little kangaroo rat things that are littering the trail, oh, and flat tires are common in that race.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Did it solo back in '06. One of the best run events around. Take lots of water. If you have tubeless, great. If not, either set up with it or take lots of tubes. The cactus needles are relentless. And make sure you take something to keep your campfire off the ground, even an old cookie sheet. They are very strict about that.

OH, and the #1 rule-- have boatloads of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
OP will be my first mtb race, first endurance race, and first race on the IF I have yet to receive. looking forward to it.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Great race! Bring LOTS of food...they didn't have any aid stations when I did it. Duo is tough, pace yourselves!!! I have done team and solo and the one duo I did was the hardest.

There are LOTS of cacti. Definitely bring a comb and a leatherman for removal. Tubeless is pretty much a must (unless you're a champion tire changer). Rodents are everywhere at night and not easy to dodge. A hardtail (IMHO) would be ideal, though I raced it on my Jekyll without issue. After the race, try to ride Fantasy Island...good times!

OP is a GREAT race, tons of fun and I really hope to go again one of these years (when life doesn't get in the way).

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
yea i told my partner he has to go tubeless or i'm not racing with him haha. can't wait, ot excited for the list of stuff i still need to get, including lights.... little expensive for a college kid..

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
yea i told my partner he has to go tubeless or i'm not racing with him haha. can't wait, ot excited for the list of stuff i still need to get, including lights.... little expensive for a college kid..
Borrow some sets, that's what I did for my first couple 24 hour races.:thumb:

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
months of planning and my partner bails due to knee problems with 2 weeks left. so i scramble to find a partner, not luck from friends, but apparently somebody wants to join from Tuscan. sweet at least im racing, but with a stranger. 30 minutes ago i receive an email from my new-found partner, saying that he has jumped the gun on joining ANOTHER team and will not be able to race with me. should i just flush my head in the toilet? because thats what i did with my entry fee apparently! ANYBODY WANT TO DO A 24HR DUO RACE WITH ME THIS WEEKEND? :mad::wtf::crazy::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::disgust1:

edit: plan was to leave ashland, OR tomorrow afternoon and be in tuscan sometime Thursday if anybody actually can race....

Last edited:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I decided to drop out. Not enough saddle time on the bike and I didn't want to use a week of vacation to go out there and fart around. So....next year. For now I'll focus on some local 6 and 12hr events.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
months of planning and my partner bails due to knee problems with 2 weeks left. so i scramble to find a partner, not luck from friends, but apparently somebody wants to join from Tuscan. sweet at least im racing, but with a stranger. 30 minutes ago i receive an email from my new-found partner, saying that he has jumped the gun on joining ANOTHER team and will not be able to race with me. should i just flush my head in the toilet? because thats what i did with my entry fee apparently! ANYBODY WANT TO DO A 24HR DUO RACE WITH ME THIS WEEKEND? :mad::wtf::crazy::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::disgust1:

edit: plan was to leave ashland, OR tomorrow afternoon and be in tuscan sometime Thursday if anybody actually can race....

Dayam-- To be independently wealthy so I could take you up on this offer. Hope you find a partner for this most excellent event..............

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
Holy crap batman superman wonder woman the flash, that race was insane. My last minute partner did 5 laps before throwing in the towel so I had to pick up as much slack as I could, finished 10 laps, 15 combined. Still completely exhausted but glad I travelled and did the race, even if it was the worst weather to date...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Holy crap batman superman wonder woman the flash, that race was insane. My last minute partner did 5 laps before throwing in the towel so I had to pick up as much slack as I could, finished 10 laps, 15 combined. Still completely exhausted but glad I travelled and did the race, even if it was the worst weather to date...
:thumb: Great job! I wish I was closer and could do this race every year. Definitely one of the most fun events I have ever done!

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
:thumb: Great job! I wish I was closer and could do this race every year. Definitely one of the most fun events I have ever done!
I second that. And the care the promoter shows the riders. When I got home, I realized that I did not have my camcorder case, which had some very special tapes in it (no, not of me/wife, but of Alaina). I contacted them, they had it, and it was returned to me, no charge. For that reason alone, I'll ride it again.