Quantcast

24 hours of flats and mud

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
So, 4 Monkeys and a Baboon are racing in the Churn and Burn 24 hour race in Ashford CT. I am the wrench for the team. So far, they have 6 laps in with 2 flats and no major mechanicals.

Treesaw is racing solo, and she has 3 laps in. She came in complaining about poor shifting, and after washing off about 30 pounds of mud, her shifting seems better.

I'll be updating during the race, we have wifi internet here!:happydance:

Quo Fan

Ok, so they have done 12 laps and it is now dark. Splat says they have the potential for 36 total laps. Still no major mechanicals :happydance:

Treesaw has trouble with her drivetrain and needs a granny gear. Her wrench is busilly working on her troubles.

The good news is that Harpoon is giving free beer!

Random shots of random riders on the course.

Our man Keith

Our camp site

Quo Fan

At the 11 hour point, Team 4MAAB have 15 laps and HOH have 133 laps. They better get their butts in gear!

Reports from the riders are that the course is getting slicker and the mud is getting deeeper in places.

There was an 8 hour college race going on at the same time, and after they finished and left, the promoters put out the good goodies.

Harpoon also was giving out FREE BEER!
Splat and Douglas were taking full advantage.

After it got dark we lit a fire in the fire pit.

Quo Fan

Now that the sun is peeking over the horizon, the racers are complaining that they can't keep any food down.

4MAAB are on lap 26. Keith changed bikes over night, and the bike he rode, the non-drive crankarm came off twice in the same lap.

Treesaw is on lap 8. She has some catching up to do because Sq-earl and Douglas are on beers 9. They drank while she slept.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Awesome update!!

You rock for helping them and good luck to Treesaw!!

Any pics of Fireline Hotties? JK

Quo Fan

Sorry, no pics of the Fireline Hotties.

With a little over 2 hours to go, I finally get a riding shot of Splat.

Team 4MAAB are on track for 31 laps, Treesaw is trying to do 9. That means Douglas and Sq-earl will have to drink beer for lunch (like we'll have to twist their arms). :)

Quo Fan

With 3 riders left on the course, none of ours, 4MAAB did 31 laps with Splat turning in the fastest lap time on the final lap.

Team 4 Monkeys and a Baboon

Treesaw threw down 10 laps solo, you go girl!

This is the final post from the race site.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I'm back home. Just a quick post here because I need some sleep (no sleep last night).

That course was five miles of hell. The muddiest MTB I've ever experienced. S-L-O-W churning through mud, with lots of slippery rocks and roots. Team 4MAAB pulled in a #4 finish out of 9 teams, and we are trilled with that! Splat's hammer-head of a final lap locked in our position. Splat did 9 laps, I did 8, and Mark and Keith each did 7. I'm so proud of our monkey team! Everyone kicked ass.

Results are not offical and I'll have all the individual times later (along with pics). I'm not sure where Humanity's Only Hope finished, but McGRP01 and Goddy43 will let us know.

Treesaw rox! :) She did more laps than anyone on our team.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Great time! I highly recommend this 24 Hour race if you are in NY or New England and want to try one next year. Good Vibe, great campsites, showers, and lots of free stuff to keep you nourished while racing.

Great job to IAB, IAB's cousin, and to splat for rippin off a 38 minute lap on his 9th lap around one helluva muddy and slippery and sloppy course.

Major thanks go out to Quo Fan and his wife - for Quo's mechanic support and for his wife's words of encouragement. Also major thanks to Dalton Doug for cheering all of us on.

Great job to Tigg and his buddies - they rode great.

And last but not least major major props to Treesaw for fulfilling her New Year's Resolution - doing a 24 Hour Solo and representing really really really well! Great Job T!!!

What a blast!

I'm tired as hell, but happy at the same time.

Time to go watch some soccer.

Looking forward to Next Year!!!

splat

Nam I am
OK , here is Batch #1

First On saturday morning after I got back, Doug decided he wanted to at least ride teh course see what it was like. and he asked my Son if he wanted to go along! . Peter said Yes.
here they are after going through Root HELL!!

ANd here they are after doing the entire course ! Thank you Doug Peter really liked that .

And Enough can not be said of the effert Tree saw put in! here is here Mojo that kept her Going.

Practicing , a skill that would be needed on the course, It also show Just how much rain we had on friday .

Now teh Lemans Start was a wee bit different , you ran with your Bike!

Run Baboon run!

Tree saw !

Baboon still in the pack

Yeah on the bike !!

Tree starting out on her Epic journey!

Now I had to get ready for my lap so I did ! there was one section of trail that was Flat central! I blew my tire on this one rock that got the 2 other riders in fron t of me too! It was so bad the race people finally went out and Dug up those rocks .

any way I did my lap.
next up was Kieth, I found this great vatage point that in a 75 span I saw the race cross 5 times. this would help my pychy later on when I wasactually racing , because I knew exactly where I was then.

Here is kieth on crossing point #1

Crossing point #2 ( thiswas a tough little dip, the up that followed it was tough you had to hit it just right.

Crossing point #4 , through the rag weed , by the end of the race this had gotten muddy

Tigg on Cross point #3

amd Kieth On the final sretch ( cross point #5 ) down next to the pond.

Tree saw on the fianl creek cross before teh Start/Finish Line

MMcG's turn

Racing !

The Batton hand off from MMcG to IAB

IAB is on the course !

My wife Finally arrved and Now she could get a Few Pics of Me riding

and Me again

Time to go edit some more Pics!!

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
That's awesome, great job yall!!!:banana:

*I don't want to derail the thread but hopefully i'll be doing a 12 hr solo sometime soon, does anyone have a good place for info. or any good advice??? If someone does, then can you please pm it to me so as not to take the focus off of team 4maab*

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
That's awesome, great job yall!!!:banana:

*I don't want to derail the thread but hopefully i'll be doing a 12 hr solo sometime soon, does anyone have a good place for info. or any good advice??? If someone does, then can you please pm it to me so as not to take the focus off of team 4maab*
12 hrs of Big Bear lake this coming W/E?:biggrin:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
WOW... you guys did great! I am proud of all of you! Congrats!

It looks like although the weather leading up to the event sogged everything up, it looks like you had good weather for the race!

Doug... are you supposed to be riding a MTB? (said in my mother's questioning tone):biggrin: (I dont wanna see you hurtin yourself):thumb:

splat

Nam I am
Next batch of Pics !

My wife took this one of my Leg after one lap.

MMcG leavingthe exchange point

Tigg In the ragweed

MMcG going over a difficult stone wall, I think I only cleaned this twice.

MMcG in another tough section, I made it through this early in the race , by the end it had deterioated and i was no longer able to make it.

Almost done !

Final Creek cross before Start finish

Tree Saw still has a Smile on her face !

IAB just finished up Root Hell!

Quo Fan ! His Help was Instumental!!! THANK YOU !!!

Did some one say Free Beer!!! ( Earl Got carded !!, They Laughed at me when i asked if then wanted my ID :( )

Even My son knows the value of free Beer , Harpoon good Beer! !! ( I think he had 6 ! )

at the one end of the Pond was a mt Dew machine , and on the night laps all you could seewas this gree Glow from the other end , where you had to ride too.

15 second shutter speed , across the pond

another not quite as good

Camp fire !

IAB Ready for a Night time Battle !

splat

Nam I am
OK here is My last batch of Pics for tonight , I have some more ( that will be a different thred ) for tommorow.

anyway , we rode throught the nioght , got practially no sleep ( long story I sleep in the front seat of the car )
after my wife fianlly got up and took some pics.

Here I am On my 8th lap , I thought it was my last at a the time.

This is actually one of my LBS wrenches , there team got 3rd .

Me in the Rag weed section

Here I am just before the finsih , I Was feeling really good at this point , and Knew I had another lap in me !

Dane Burke, Who rode this in Flats on a 38 pound Sinster free ride hard tail ( ther eteam got 3rd ) he also Swore off XC racing !

Kieth Finished his lap , and MMcG went out , At this point I knew I wasgoing out for another lap.

As was already Stated on My final lap, I threw every thing I had left at it , and laid down our teams best lap at 38 minutes . I passed teresa a little before half way , and gave her a good yell for support !

Here she is on the final stretch by the pond .

getting closer!!

Down the Home stretch !!

Don't let that Chick running with the bike catch you!

Final Turn , and at this point every body was cheering for tree saw!

This tells it all!! She did it !! 24:30 !

a Team photo of one of the chick Teams

And to end it ! our tree of Dead tubes!!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Awesome pics, Splat. I like reliving it all over again. :)

Well it's the day after. Am I the only one who is tired and sore as hell? I'm just hobbling around the house (I called in sick today).

Here are a few pics I took....

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
This was 4MAAB teammate Keith's first 24 hour event. He struggled a bit with the difficult terrain, but he hung in there and completed all his "assigned" laps despite bike issues.

HOH team member Rob returning from a lap...

...and he hands off to Tigg, who heads past a Pig Iron chickie on his way out.

We really can not thank Quo_Fan enough for his help. It is SO nice to finish a lap and just hand your bike to someone for cleaning and adjusting. Quo_Fan is the MAN.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Keith near the end of a lap. At this point, you have about 5 hard minutes of riding before finishing the lap (one difficult uphill section of mud, rocks, and mud).

McGRP01 within spitting distance of the end of a lap.

Keith completes a lap.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Earl kept himself occupied while TreeSaw was grinding out solo laps. It was nice to have the company of the non-racers around (Doug, Earl, splat's family, and Quo_Fan's girlfriend).

and our campsite was certainly large enough for everyone. The site fit all our popups, tents and cars very comfortably with plenty of room to spare (things were tight at the Dalton races)

Keith returns from a night lap. He did great, having NEVER ridden at night before. I had light issues on my 2nd night lap. My lights died about 1 mile in, so I ran the entire lap with little backup headlamp. I'm very pised tht my light batteries only lasted about an hour. I mean, WTF. Well, I still managed a 46 minute lap with basically no light.

ohh this felt SOOOOOO nice. The weather reports called for high 50's at night. No way it was that warm. I'm guessing it dipped into the low 40's. It was COLD.

TreeSaw and Earl hanging out. mmmm...potato chips and jerky. Actually, 4MAAB hung and talked with the head guy Steve (very cool guy) for about a half hour Friday, so he gave us an entire box of beef sticks...300 of 'em! :eek:

Keith was all smiles the entire weekend.

Keith and Tigg check out the standings.

(and if you read the fine print...)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Splat at night. Good job, splat!

MMcG on his final lap. Mark was very consistent with his lap times, be it in sunlight or at night. He completely lost light near the end of his last night lap and had to finish in the dark. You kicked ass, Mark!!