Quantcast

24 hours of Idyllwild

RockTumbler

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
San Diego
Anyone plan on doing the 24 hours of Idyllwild? Looks like my group just signed up as "Team Bugjuice" 5 man open. Anyone else? Anyone?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
It's still a secret on the stree - but as defending champions, my team is returning. WOOHOO - it's only been a year since my last night ride!

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Team Numbnuts is in a state of disarray, so not sure what is happening...still hoping to do it, though. On a side note, I noticed another team has already signed up as Numbnuts - IMPOSTERS!!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by RockTumbler
What kind of lap times should I expect to see at the race? Sorry never done this before and am curious.
It all depends on your ability. I expect to do around 50 minute laps this year with night being about 5 minutes slower since I suck at night riding. If you look at the results from last year on the 24 Hour of Adrenaline website they show lap split times.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Heidi, how does the course compare to Temecula?

Also, if anybody hears of a hard riding, but for-fun team looking for a rider, let me know. I can hang with your average sport class lap times.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by ghostrider
Heidi, how does the course compare to Temecula?

Also, if anybody hears of a hard riding, but for-fun team looking for a rider, let me know. I can hang with your average sport class lap times.
This course is not as brutal. It starts with a moderate climb that's probably over a mile with a couple rocky and sandy sections but for the most part singletrack that is passable. Then it spits you out into a flatter section that rolls a little but is high speed, then you hit the meadow. The meadow is a VERY gradual climb, so much that you don't really notice it except for that you feel like you should be going faster. The wind there is always really strong and it sucks. Then you climb a couple shorter steep sections before you hit the DH. The DH is fun, not really rocky, just fast but with lots of things to keep you awake. There is another bitch of a climb that a lot of people walk on and then you're back into singletrack that winds through the sagebrush. There is a steep singletrack climb that used to be the old hike-a-bike before they rerouted it. It is now completely rideable but other riders may walk. It's really short and then you are back into flat windy stuff. There is almost a mile of pavement where you can do a nice little time trial ride and then you have a section that rolls with some jumps! One SUPER sandy corner and a steeeeeeeep climb by the water tower later and you are home free.

In conclusion in case that was too long and you fell asleep: It is not as tough as Temecula, but just as fun.

RockTumbler

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
San Diego
Funny... I dropped out of my group due to conflicts with the self-appointed leader. He invited a rider without consulting the group first. You say no big deal. So did I even though I had reservations. We went on a road ride yesterday and the guy was slower than our designated slow old guy. Get this the guy has only ridden a mountain bike once!! Never ridden at night! The "leader" said if I dont like it then find another team. The funny part is... the majority of the team are my friends! The thing that bugs me is doing a race like this is soooo expensive. If I make the investment its because I think I will be standing on the podium or get at least a jersey, plaque, etc. Do you think I am out of line?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by RockTumbler
Funny... I dropped out of my group due to conflicts with the self-appointed leader. He invited a rider without consulting the group first. You say no big deal. So did I even though I had reservations. We went on a road ride yesterday and the guy was slower than our designated slow old guy. Get this the guy has only ridden a mountain bike once!! Never ridden at night! The "leader" said if I dont like it then find another team. The funny part is... the majority of the team are my friends! The thing that bugs me is doing a race like this is soooo expensive. If I make the investment its because I think I will be standing on the podium or get at least a jersey, plaque, etc. Do you think I am out of line?
Well, people race for different reasons. i myself either want to be in a completely slack off team where we just screw around and have fun, or a winning team. You can't have a team where people want both. It will never work.

RockTumbler

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
San Diego
Makes sense. I just cant afford to just play. They all say the goal is podium but the last action totally extinguished that mission statement. Maybe I will see what Pete is doing in that time frame. Maybe we can pull a team together or he can give me leads on finding one.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I'd say the type of team you race on is up to you. I can't imagine why this guy would be thinking of joining an experienced team if he's only ridden off road once, and never at night??? When the dude breaks his femur, you'll end up doing more laps.

RockTumbler

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
San Diego
Yup. The downhill isnt technical for the experienced but will definitely keep you awake like Heidi said. Hell if something goes wrong with the bike or the light he wont even know how to fix it. I could go on and on but hey I just want to stand on the podium at least once in my life. LOL

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
So RockTumbler - have you preridden the course?

I just went last weekend - it seems more brutal than last year. The meadow section was pretty sandy and seemed to slow me down a lot.

All the DH's are in the best shape I've seen them and I forgot how fun all the little jumps are!

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Hey cool, signs of life in the 24 hour forum. So, the good news is my team is sounding more like we are going to do it. Bad news is we need a rider to complete the roster. So, the Real Team Numbnuts is looking for a hard riding beer swilling rider to race Idyllwild. If you have anybody in mind, let me know the particulars.

Heidi, how hot we talking for this area? I really bog down when it starts baking - having grown up in Rochester and all.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

Heidi, how hot we talking for this area? I really bog down when it starts baking - having grown up in Rochester and all.
It really depends. Hopefully it will be mild. I have raced there when it was 104 degrees, and when it was 40 degrees. Just last weekend it was about 91 I think. It will cool as the month goes on I hope.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Originally posted by Heidi
It will cool as the month goes on I hope.
Me too - the colder the better, until I'm shivering in my tent, wondering why I choose to do this type of thing, and wishing I was home in bed, toasty and warm with my wife.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Me too - the colder the better, until I'm shivering in my tent, wondering why I choose to do this type of thing, and wishing I was home in bed, toasty and warm with my wife.
No joke...last year I flat out SWORE that I would not do another one of these. I was FREEZING cold, standing by the fire over by the check in tent. i was tired, I was cold, and I didn't want to ride. hehe - but here I am again getting ready for the race.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by Heidi
No joke...last year I flat out SWORE that I would not do another one of these. I was FREEZING cold, standing by the fire over by the check in tent. i was tired, I was cold, and I didn't want to ride. hehe - but here I am again getting ready for the race.
Just a quick note to remind everyone that the more Heidi complains during a race, the better she rides.

I heard you swear you'd never do it again and that you didn't know if you could go on doing laps to finish....right then I knew it was gonna be a yellow jersy day. :eviltongu :D :p :thumb:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by El Jefe
Just a quick note to remind everyone that the more Heidi complains during a race, the better she rides.

I heard you swear you'd never do it again and that you didn't know if you could go on doing laps to finish....right then I knew it was gonna be a yellow jersy day. :eviltongu :D :p :thumb:
Damn you!

BrickTop

Chimp
Oct 29, 2002
Durango, CO

I find it easier just to ignore Heidi and her maniacal raving.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal

Ha! I was right! :p