Quantcast

24" or 26"?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
So what's everyone's feeling on running 24 inch wheels dirtjumping versus running 26 inch wheels? I'm going to buy a new frame, and the DMR Rhythm looks very enticing. I've never dirtjumped on 24inch wheels, does anyone see any advantages, disadvantages? Keep in mind that I'm going to be using a 4 inch travel suspension fork, most likely single speed, and disc brakes. I haven't heard anything bad about the RHythm, but I'd like to know what anyone has to say. Thanks,.

Dave

NOM4D

Chimp
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by Li'l Dave
So what's everyone's feeling on running 24 inch wheels dirtjumping versus running 26 inch wheels? I'm going to buy a new frame, and the DMR Rhythm looks very enticing. I've never dirtjumped on 24inch wheels, does anyone see any advantages, disadvantages? Keep in mind that I'm going to be using a 4 inch travel suspension fork, most likely single speed, and disc brakes. I haven't heard anything bad about the RHythm, but I'd like to know what anyone has to say. Thanks,.

Dave

----Sideways posting as NOM4D, cuz his computer won't log him out---

24" wheels are WAY more responsive.
(read lighter weight, smaller diameter = faster acceration and quicker cornering)

They pick up much more speed when you pump the jumps, so you don't have to work as hard to flow the rhythems.

-Marshall Hance
EndlessBikeCo.
http://www.endlessbikes.com

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
So does that mean that you would prefer 24 inch? It seems like everyone has really good things to say about 24, but still has 26. This is why I'm wondering.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I guess maybe a better way to put my question is, are there any disadvantages to 24" wheels? I'm only really going to be riding jumps, so that's about all I need it for.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
I have a cruiser and I use it for jumps and stuff. It works fine. But I haven't tried jumping on 26" wheels. I actually don't even have a bike with 26"ers. My mtb has 24's. I think I want to get 26's for my mtb but that's becuase I use my cruiser for street and jumps and I want a better xc/fr mtb.

I'd say to go for it for jumping.

KaiMana

Chimp
Oct 12, 2001
Woodland Park, CO
I recently built a hellcat 24 with 80mm fork for the djs. Before that I was on a giant ac. Going from long wheelbase and 26s to shorter wheelbase and 24s has made a huge difference for me. But the trails that I dj at are mostly built and jumped by bmxers(me being the exception) so everything is quick.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
here ya go..DMR Rhythm with 24" wheels

advantages over 26"?

*strength: can be lighter and still as strong or same weight and much stronger, choice of components is critical, don't get Atomlabs trailpimp or Halo Combat they are way too heavy and ride like bricks! try Singletrack or Doubletrack, Rhyno Lite, Arrow, etc.

*handling: like a bmx's 20", the 24" is snappier, accelerates quicker (try outsprinting a bmx racer on 24" cruiser!), handles better at low speeds common to dirt jumping and play riding. very short turning circle

*in air is more "flickable" up to horizontal as wheels are smaller have less rotational torque to keep them running vertically like a 26". you can really throw around 24" wheels, and land dodgy without bending them!

*allows specific frame design: if you get a 24" specific you will have a much better handling bike than a 26"/24" convertible. the rear can be 15" long, the front at 22.5" and still the wheelbase is much shorter than a mountainbike so better in deep trails and skatepark,etc.

*allows use of cheap bmx tires: you can now get tires for $12 from the bmx store, there is a surprising range of 24" tires if you look past mtb tires, there are also tonnes of city/touring tires with recessed treads and kevlar anti-flat belting so plenty tough for jumping and street!

I have found about 10 good bmx model fat enough for the faster speeds you can go over a bmx cruiser (due to longer frame, suspension fork, disc brakes and fatter tires) some bmx tires are a bit thin so use a good DH tube to compensate

disadvantages over 26"?

*does get "swallowed up" by large bumps, this is obvious and is most noticed when riding in winter mud,or riding through woodland with fallen down tree branches, etc. it can feel a bit out of its depth on rough downhills or trails with lots of loose material (unless your running a mtb tire on the front).

*the distance and gearing issues aren't a big problem, get a long post for your rhythm and make sure you can put up the seat to regular riding height for XC, the Rhythm is cromoly and has tough seat area so it will be fine, as long as you can sit you can pedal for miles, with 24" singlespeed jump bikes if you have to ride 10miles standing up it hurts! if you can do this sitting down comfortably its no problem and you can go pretty quick with a good spinning action.

you won't need to use much different chain rings or cassettes or chaindisc,whatever between a 26" and 24" for dirt jumping its often go slow you can go, use something like 39T x 16T for trails singlespeed, I used 40T x 12-23 on my Dr. Jekyll, I have 41Tx16T for riding about London.

*harder to find the rims, tires, tubes and someone to build it good! lots of people cannnot built good 24" wheels like 20" are hard to build with stiffer rims, short spokes and lots of them 36H/48H,etc. some shops won't build unless you buy the whole box of 100 spokes first as they have to get specific ones.

*sometimes hubs cannot be used with rim combinations because the spokes are not available. I wanted a DMR revolver on Sun Rhyno but spokes couldnt be got, so I got XT disc hub on Sun Rhyno.

*tire choice is more limited, this is true, there are basically more mtb tires, often the only limit is your $$$ or the size of your rear stays on the bike. with 24" there are some crossover tires like IRC Kujo 24"x2.3" (about as fat/heavy as you want to go on a DMR Rhythm) , or DMR's new "Moto" 24"x2.2" for smoother dry trails. Tioga Comp III 24x2.125" is a great tire, unless the trails is loose like sand. Primo Dirt Monster 24"x1.85" is a great trails tire and costs $12?

check out www.londondirtjumping.com (they have a section called "24inchresource")

Attachments

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Thanks man, that is a big help. My main problem is that I want to jump on a bike like a BMX, but I'm too much of a sissy to actually get a BMX. Right now I'm pretty sure I'm getting a rhythm, but I'm also looking at a Revell. Thanks again man, I can't wait.

sir schmokey

Chimp
Mar 13, 2003
LALA Land, CA
yeah, dave, where are you getting your DMR? anybody know how to get hold of one of those fine UK rides- pashley, curtis, revell and such- without paying an assload to import/ship?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I got mine from Go-ride, I got the last one in the US. There is a company starting called Greay-Comb that will deal Revell. I was trying to buy a curtis, but no luck, and they don't want to ship to the us. Mine should be here Monday or tuesday.

oldschl81

Chimp
Mar 9, 2002
ridley park.pa
the guys over at atomlab(dirtbike distribution) can order dmr frames.

i have plans to get a rythm frame myself.

also looking into a pashley 24mhz but it's too much to order directly from pashley.

they refuse the mark the box as a gift

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I talked to dirtbike, they can't get the Rhythm. There isn't enough of a demand. I really want a Curtis, and Revells are soon available, but I am left without a jumping bike at the moment.

oldschl81

Chimp
Mar 9, 2002
ridley park.pa
Thanks for the heads up :)

any idea when go-ride will have another rythm in stock?

i put off buying a frame because i was concerned with the tt length.

i like a tt length no longer than 21.5" . it's tough finding a small frame.

the dmr seems like it would be a killer frame.short rear end and 24" wheel specific.

had 3 azonic ds-1 frames. two 14" and one 16".they suck running 24" wheels and a disc in the rear.

hope you enjoy the dmr

let us know how you like it

josh:)

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Chris there told me that they might have one more. They actually went through Dirtbike distribution to get the few frames that they got in, but so far the demand hasn't been too high for them, so they might not order any more in. As soon as it comes in, I'll have pics up, and a review once I get a chance to jump it.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
"anybody know how to get hold of one of those fine UK rides- pashley, curtis, revell and such- without paying an assload to import/ship?"

take a cheap flight to England...?

" put off buying a frame because i was concerned with the tt length.

i like a tt length no longer than 21.5" . it's tough finding a small frame.

the dmr seems like it would be a killer frame.short rear end and 24" wheel specific."

you can get the DMR sidekick with horziontal dropouts and bmx b/b shell - its the older pe-rhythm design still real nice ride, very strong, good weight, 21.5" top tube so no problems..and I believe much easier to get in USA / Canada than the Rhythm (which I heard they were no importing to USA?)

sir schmokey

Chimp
Mar 13, 2003
LALA Land, CA
yo lil dave, thanks for the go ride heads up. hopefully by the time i sell my rm6 they'll have more frames in.

or maybe i should use the money to take a trip across the pond...

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
No prob, and they are out of rhythm frames by now. You might have to call and beg them to get some more, it didn't sound like they were getting any anytime soon. Mine just came today, I'll have pics up here in a few.

greasycomb

Chimp
May 19, 2003
You can get a Revell 250R (24") or 450R (26") for $500 + shipping from California which isn't much. You can get it stock or with a custom length top tube and color for $50 more.
4130 Cromo and new longer drop outs. Dark or light gray are standard color.

Dave

info@greasycomb.com

http://www.greasycomb.com [website under contruction]

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Where were you a little while ago...? I talked to a kid who met you in Sea Otter who said you were getting in frames some how. I really like the DMR that I got though. You aren't able to get Curtis frames are you.

greasycomb

Chimp
May 19, 2003
Got the frames a couple of weeks before Sea Otter, built a 250R up just in time (Street Style), I still haven't had time to build up a 450R. Good reaction to the frames for sure. I will only import Revell, Stolen BMX and 414 Industries, so no other brands for now.

Better late than never I guess...

Dave

matshotbolt

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
suffolk, england
the only automated machine in the curtis shed........the kettle :)
if you can possibly get hold of a curtis frame do so.
even over here they are like weapons grade plutonium (gold dust doesnt do it justice)
tough as nails but if you do manage to get one in the u.s i'm not sure what the warranty would be like just incase a large truck or plane hits you and dents the downtube :D

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
for all of you looking for a rad dirt jumping frame that you can run 26" or 24" with mad tire clearance check out www.identitibikes.com and check out their chro moly 666 jumping frame 2.7" tire clearance, vertical dropouts that are horizontally adjustable to rund single speed...frame is rad with both wheels and the good thing is any bike shop can get them through BTI the frames are made in europe and you know most of them have their stuff together when it comes to mtb dirt jumping...

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
I just received my 24" wheels (sunn BFR on dmr SS hubs, tioga dh tyres which suck) monday. Since it has been raining all week I could only test the bike (sidekick, px forks) yesterday.
It rides like a dream, it hops better, it spins better, it manuals better and it's better in the air. What can you demand more? Seriously, you need 24" when you're into street/park like me. That's why normal people buy a bmx: it has those little wheels.

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Hell YEah on the Rhythm and 24"s. I love mine. It is insane how much more fun i'm having on my bike. If you guys can get your hands on one, go for it. I bought mine complete from a guy here in Penn., I think he said he bought it at interbike. I'm running it now with a 3.5" Dj'r 2 and the DMR wheels as a single speed. Kicks ass. Revell's are sweet as well, and no one buy DV8's 450, ITS MINE!! well hopefully. Curtis' are really sweet.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Revells:

Actually at today's exchange rates it's cheaper to buy it here (in the US) than it is in the UK anyway...

The 250R is 299 pounds, which is like $530. $30 more expensive in the UK...

Good deal.. Do you guys do complete bike deals?

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
on my bmx bike i have not like the 20 inch rims there to samll and you just dont roll over some objects, but 24 are bigger and they have there strong points like i think 24 in the rear and 26 in the front is good
Dont worry that is spelled wrong

greasycomb

Chimp
May 19, 2003
Hey Guys,

Just a couple of quick notes to answer some questions. The 250R & 450R are now available in America for an even better price of $450.00 plus shipping price reduced since the dollar is killing it. You can get a custom still for $550.00. Custom frames you can choose your brake type, bottom bracket type, top tube length, head tube angle and color. We are working on complete bikes that will be around $750.00 which is a steal. These bikes will come with an upgradeable rigid fork, Revell cromoly three-piece cranks, handle bar, stem & seatpost, Tioga Blue Dragon tires and seats. The wheels will be single speed but 9 spd cog compatable... anyway enough sales bantor, I hope this answers all of your questions.

Dave
info@greasycomb.com
(562) 690 5133
www.greasycomb.com

hozzerr

Chimp
Jan 26, 2004
simi valley
one thing to take into consideration at all times are the warranty issues, i.e. how long will you be waiting for a new frame, etc if your bike is not usa product.

I got a Cortina from Santa Barbara CA and I ride the living daylights out of it on the local trails with decent size drops and on the streets, no complaints. Only thing is now I'm trying to run a 24" rear 26'' front combo, see how I like it.

greasycomb

Chimp
May 19, 2003
I cant speak for all manufacturers but I can say that with Revell we always have frames in stock so no problem here. Let me know what you think of the 26/24" We just made a custom for a guy who is doing that too. We steepened the head angle by 1 deg to make up for the lower rear wheel. Curious to see how you/he like it.
Glad you like your Cortina.

Dave