Quantcast

24" questions

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
i ride my 26 mostly at trails because i love it and my 20" at park because it fits better and spins easier, and i use both about equally for street. would love to have one bike and was wondering if a 24" could do that for me.

anyone who rides them please let me know ifyou think this would be a good choice

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i ride my 26 mostly at trails because i love it and my 20" at park because it fits better and spins easier, and i use both about equally for street. would love to have one bike and was wondering if a 24" could do that for me.

anyone who rides them please let me know ifyou think this would be a good choice
yeah for sure. if you need any convincing about 24" mtbmx and park/street check out:
http://www.unionstreetbikes.com/

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Sounds like a 24 would be great for you. IMO having one bike for park/street/trails is the best, since you don't have to get used to anything else.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Depends a lot on style IMO...I think a 20" is the ultimate for tech/maneuverability, but they can be squirly. And the 26s are stable, but hard to throw around. 24" is a good compromise.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Depends on the frame...on the Fall Guy and the Molly that was posted earlier, yeah. On other ones, you have to use MTB hubs, brakes, and cranks depending.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i have had several traditional-geometry bmx cruisers (S&M, Cyclecraft, Haro, DK) and my conclusion is that my USB Molly "spins" better than they do. probably b/c of the short chainstays.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
24" is awesome. I ride 26" but felt I needed a bit smaller to hit the park and street as well as tight trail DJ areas. I built a Molly and I have a tough time NOT taking it when riding. I absoltuely love it. Started off with suspension but got a XL Rebate to counter the 71.75 degree head angle. All in all the bike rocks. I brought both bikes (other is a Mob) to Rays and I ended up riding the Molly more.

You can run BMX cranks, rear hub and 990 style brakes. Standard 1-1/8" headtube. Here are a few shots.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
How much does the Molly weigh? I'm riding a cruiser cause a 35 lb. DJer is too heavy for me to handle. I'm small. And how much do they cost? I really want a 24" with suspension one day.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
since you're small, there is NO DOUBT a 24" mtbmx would be better than a 26". seems like 2 inches of wheel wouldnt make a difference but it really does. even if the weight difference isn't huge, the 24" will handle a lot easier for a smaller person.

Last edited:

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah, I think they use a hooded drop out, not the best setup for running pegs.

There are so many frame possibilities for a 24: bottom bracket, brakes, hub spacing, drop outs, rigid or suspension fork. Its hard to keep track of whats what.

But anyway, I wish I had switched to 24" for trails sooner. The only thing I could say is better about 26" is rim and tire selection and that is even stretching a little.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Yep... I run a very stiff fork with special modded springs, there is info on it here. I wouldn't say it is any weirder than landing or hopping on the ground with a suspension fork.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
Where are there good deals for a used Molly/Fall guy or what are others? I want one one day. Single speed with a soft fork. It would be cool to have just ONE great bike that handles it all and is light and small enough I can really handle it. Especially the jumps and urban stuff. I'm really small and a girl with that. I tried to switch to a DJ mtb but couldnt handle it like my cruiser.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Where are there good deals for a used Molly/Fall guy or what are others? I want one one day. Single speed with a soft fork. It would be cool to have just ONE great bike that handles it all and is light and small enough I can really handle it. Especially the jumps and urban stuff. I'm really small and a girl with that. I tried to switch to a DJ mtb but couldnt handle it like my cruiser.
forget the Molly and the Fallguy. Don't get me wrong but the fall guy is awsome but too expensive and long top tube. Plus can't run pegs if that is your thing.
there is also the Dobermann Molosse

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ozf_vjd4cPg/SM7BULpL_NI/AAAAAAAAAeE/IIEXx65wY4A/s1600-h/2009flyerMolosse.jpg

http://dobermannbikes.com/

i am in the same boat you are and the DOB Molosse has a shorter top tube 21.5 on the small. the Molly has a 22.2. top tube and is ugly brown. the Molosse will be easier to throw around. plus it comes in better colors!!

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
it seems like a 24 inch mob
what does? a mob is a 135x10mm rear, euro bb, disc only,
these other bikes are 14x110mm rear mid or spanish bb, v-brake only. Dosen't sound anything like a mob to me. A mob is a mtb that wants to be like a bmx bike but dosen't quite cut it. A Dobermann especially is basically a 24" cruiser with the right geometry and the ability to put a 60-100mm fork on it. But i believe preferably an 80mm.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Planning on swapping out the rigid for a RS Recon fork for the Molly. I had an old Sherman on there and swapped for rigid. Rode indoor park and my wrists ached for 2 days. I am old so going back to a front shock. Since all my other bikes have RS forks I figured I would keep the trend. I need the lock-out ability and the Recon 351 u-turn will get me at 85mm which is perfect. Then I think the bike will finally be finished.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I like the specs on the tt and the weight is OK. Color options are GREAT. For me the smaller/lighter the better. I need something a 10 year old can throw lol. I'm really small and I'm not growing anymore. Least I'm a girl lol.

forget the Molly and the Fallguy. Don't get me wrong but the fall guy is awsome but too expensive and long top tube. Plus can't run pegs if that is your thing.
there is also the Dobermann Molosse

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ozf_vjd4cPg/SM7BULpL_NI/AAAAAAAAAeE/IIEXx65wY4A/s1600-h/2009flyerMolosse.jpg

http://dobermannbikes.com/

i am in the same boat you are and the DOB Molosse has a shorter top tube 21.5 on the small. the Molly has a 22.2. top tube and is ugly brown. the Molosse will be easier to throw around. plus it comes in better colors!!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i'm about to put an x-fusion velvet r (80mm) on my Molly. several dudes around here have rocked em for a while with no probs so i figure it'll work.
seems like the lightest option.