Quantcast

27" bike geo?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Hi All.
About to buy a 650b Pinion gear boxed Nicolai with 150-160mm travel.
Was curious if anyone with experience could shed some light with what the best geo is. BB heights, chain stay length, head angle, seat tube angle and reach? and reasons to support it please.
On the same scale that we use to get 26" and 29" it's 27" right? Shouldn't we call it that? Not this whack 27.5 shiz.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Here's the geo I'm looking at if possible. Please dissect it if you feel something won't be right.
Travel 140-160
Reach 405+
Stack 600ish
Head Angle 66.5
Bottom Bracket Height 338
Chain stay 430
Seat tube angle 73
Will run a 50mm stem

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Can't you get one of the brands you import in a 27? Not sure if they are standard now but when you order it ask if it comes with their fancy plastic bushes, if not I'd pay the bit extra and get them, needle rollers are crap.
I have no idea on geo, I have an opinion on funny wheel sizes but I'll keep that to myself ;) ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
wat?

geo stays pretty much the same. You may want to sharpen the head angle compared to a 26er to liven up the steering, or keep it the same if you want it slower. Bigger wheels slow down steering, which is why 29ers used steeper headtubes until they added offset to forks to decrease trail (or whatever). Since you probably won't be using an offset corrected fork on this bike, You may want to consider that in your HA.

I ride a 650b converted cannondale rush and the best thing about the bike is that it rides like a 26er with better rollover. Nothing changed but a half inch in the BB. The bike rips, and it does even better with a slightly longer than original fork (+20mm). I have a lefty on there, which has 45mm offset, which is a bit longer than most forks out there, which usually come in at like 35 or 40mm. Therefore, my bike handles pretty neutrally with its ~68* HA, 16.7" stays, 12.9" BB, and 23.5" TT.