Quantcast

29.76 lbs Trek Session 88

Cyklist

Chimp
Feb 15, 2010
13.50kg/29.76lbs with 2.5" UST Swampthings and coil rear shock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKXgA3yA4e4&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKXgA3yA4e4&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Frame: Trek Session 88 size M
Rear shock: Fox RC4 with Diverse ti-spring
Fork: RS Boxxer WC
Headset: CaneCreek
Spacers: PointOneRacing
Topcap: Carbon with alu bolt
Stem: PointOneRacing LTD
Handlebar: Truvativ Holzfeller WC polished
Grips: Bontrager XXX Lite with plastic plugs
Brakes: Avid Elixir CR Mag with ti hardware etc
Discs: Formula R1 SL 180mm with ti bolts
Shifter: Customized Shimano XTR with alu bolts
Derailleur: Customized Shimano XTR
Housing/Cable: Yumeya/Powercordz
Chain: KMC X10SL
Cassette: 7speed DuraAce 11-21 with alu lock-ring
Chainring: E13 Guidering
Crankset: Customized Shimano XTR
Pedals: Superstar Ultra MAG
Chainguide: Customized LG1+
Seatclamp: Hope
Seat/Post: Stripped I-Fly/Carbon micro post with ti hardware
Hubs: Tune King/Kong MK
Spokes: DT Swiss Aero Lite with alu nipples
Rims: NoTubes Flow
Tires: Maxxis Swampthing UST 2,5"

Plus more ti and some other small things.

:rolleyes:

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I know this has been said before, but isn't a DH bike supposed to have a bit of weight to it? They are all about stability, which is why they are generally so low, long and slack. But the overall mass would be part of that equation too. Too little weight and the bike starts to skip all over the place as soon as the going gets rough. If that is what you are after, why not just get an XC bike that you can build up at <20lbs?

My new DH bike will be somewhere in the upper 30's, and that is about as light as I want to go for a bike taking that kind of abuse.

Unless you weigh 85lbs, in which case this may be just fine for you.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I don't see why everyone is so up in arms about "insert fancy term for being to light" the bike is usually around 2/3rd's of the rider weight, aside from durability I don't see how this will affect the way it tracks over the ground. If anything it would make it easier to fly over nasty sections and put it back down where you want.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Wow! thats insanly light. Im just curios, whats the weight on the seat tube + seat combo? Im guessing your grips don't even weigh 10 grms? Thats just wrong! I couldnt ride grips that arent lock on... anyways. I have to admit, thats a pretty crazy build, and if you can ride your bike that light good for you, as for me, I share the personal feelings of many here by saying, when is light too light? I would however, use this bike on a track like sea otter! Imaging how this thing would fly!

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Awesome that you built it to weigh that much... its definitly a bike that would fit a certain persons style of riding. I just have a hard time thinking that bike would survive an extensive beating...

Last edited:

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
There is nothing all that scetchy on it.

The Flows hold up as well as 721's and better than 5.1's.

I fail to see how it would be "difficult to ride in certain situations". By the reckoning of some on here we should all be massive chunky feckers to stop the bike moving around to much when it gets bumpy :confused:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Insanely light build but im questioning the brakes for dh riding I doubt they'd be up to the job. Why not put some the ones on there instead.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I fail to see how it would be "difficult to ride in certain situations". By the reckoning of some on here we should all be massive chunky feckers to stop the bike moving around to much when it gets bumpy :confused:
remember one of those "chunky feckers" has ridden behind you and your weenie bike and seen you get bounced all over the track. or are all those dodgy lines intentional?

:D

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Shifter: Customized Shimano XTR with alu bolts
Derailleur: Customized Shimano XTR
Chainguide: Customized LG1+
What have you done to them?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I don't see why everyone is so up in arms about "insert fancy term for being to light" the bike is usually around 2/3rd's of the rider weight, aside from durability I don't see how this will affect the way it tracks over the ground. If anything it would make it easier to fly over nasty sections and put it back down where you want.
Moving Mass = Energy, less Moving mass, more chance of being stopped by friction(object).
The suspension also probably will get more chance to work with more mass, as opposed to skipping over stuff.
Why not chop of your willy, if your going to make it inoperable with that seat anyway. Don't know about you, but I'd save over half that bikes weight just there.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
your bike is the Alley McBeal of DH, make it eat a ham sandwich every once in a while...

John@UKMB

Chimp
Sep 13, 2009
Thats mental. Im not a fan of the Sessions but thats an amazing job. I hope to hear a review when youve given it a good beating on a proper track.

Insanely light build but im questioning the brakes for dh riding I doubt they'd be up to the job. Why not put some the ones on there instead.
What isnt up to the job with the brakes? I have the mag/carbon Elixir CRs and theyve been brilliant, they dont need the 205/185 rotors I run them with either so those smaller ones will be ideal.

Using the Ti bolts on the rotors is a bit sketchy tho.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
That ^ is funny. I am not calling BS here but, hard to believe this bike is that light.
I have a 2010 with a light DH build at 37lbs. There are lighter parts out there
but, mine a true DH build with Ti bolts etc. 8lbs. more? Crazy! I would say 29
is way too light, it's like having a 17.5lb. xc bike - you end up on the side of the trail
watching everyone after you cruz on by with their "heavy" bikes.
Always cool to see someone push the limits and find where those lines are for sure. Without it we can't move forward, so thanks for your post!
So not hating just saying, you have to be cutting some strength corners somewhere to drop a bike that low. I am guessing a 34lb. build is about as light as you'd want to go and still have the setup reliable, sturdy and keep it on the ground! And that's light! but 29 has to be a bit sketch.

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
man this is sorta nuts...i mean it's a great bike but wtf...publishing weights in thread titles? I mean that is the ultimate 'hey look at me'

most of the parts are damn solid i bet it rides nice and I am all for light bikes if it makes sense...not sure what i am trying to say...good for the builder, but not for me.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
That's too light, my God the deflection is going to be insane........ nice build good spec.
I'd say its too light but if you can get away with it go for it.
I know this has been said before, but isn't a DH bike supposed to have a bit of weight to it? They are all about stability, which is why they are generally so low, long and slack. But the overall mass would be part of that equation too. Too little weight and the bike starts to skip all over the place as soon as the going gets rough. If that is what you are after, why not just get an XC bike that you can build up at <20lbs?

My new DH bike will be somewhere in the upper 30's, and that is about as light as I want to go for a bike taking that kind of abuse.

Unless you weigh 85lbs, in which case this may be just fine for you.
I'm in this camp ^^^^

Assuming this bike doesn't even break I think it would be handful on most tracks. I had a Can Diggle that I built up around 35lbs and it was too light for me. I even set up the suspension really soft and I still had a hard time when things got really fast and rough. Granted, a lot of this could also have to do with skill, or my lack of, but I immediately got more comfortable and confident when I went back to a proper DH build. DH bikes just feel more stable and solid in the upper 30s lower 40s range to me.

This thing would make a great really long travel slalom bike. I have to admit, it is a nice looking ride but I am curious to see how well it holds up.