Quantcast

29" DH bikes

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Got your points, and now I understand why you are choosing the Bronson. I tried one from a fried maybe tree or four times, but since we ride together almost every weekend, we are used to dialing the suspensions and cockpit to our own likes before riding (maybe going a bit OCD here, but we both have our bars/stems/brakes/saddles marked with our ideal numbers, so going back to your own setup once the bike returns isn't a big deal).

That said, the lively feel of a lower-link driven shock in a VPP bike will never be matched by one with the shock driven by the upper one. I've ridden several generations of the V10, and the feel it's just different, leaving aside the travel and geometry changes.

Anyway I'm not trying to bash the Bronson for you. It's a really capable trail/AM bike, and nobody knows better than you if it fits your local trails and riding style.
Hehe, its ok to bash the Bronson. Im not expecting it to feel the same as the Meta (Which is a 2013 btw and not a 2014) and since Ive owned 2 VPP bikes I kinda know what to expect.

Im even contemplating the 5010 as Im not sure how big the difference is going to be between the Bronson and the Meta.
Ive built the Meta up pretty light with a Fox 34, XTR, Hope wheels and i use xc tires when Im not in the Alps, but the Bronson isnt THAT much lighter and has the same amount of suspension and only a slightly steeper HA.

Im pretty much looking for something that doesnt exist, so i know whatever bike i get it wont be perfect. I just want it to be perfecter.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
PB's cryptic little photo shoot would support that possibility. And they did have that 29/26 hardtail thing.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Well, maybe the 29er is a thing, looks like Syndicate qualified 1st, 2nd and 6th.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Well, maybe the 29er is a thing, looks like Syndicate qualified 1st, 2nd and 6th.
1st, 3rd and 6th. But yeah. It seems to be a thing. All 3 of those guys are very capable of putting down those results on any bike, but with all the hype this weekend, I'd say they're successful so far.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I keep seeing the phrase 29er bikeS

is anyone else messing with this stupidity other than santa cruz?
I think it's the first mainstream to produce a dedicated DH (not for climbing in any way). That's why. There have been a lot of 150-170 bikes by various manufacturers, but nothing quite this dramatic. That said, it appears no one was putting a dorado 29er (that has existed for years) on these other bikes and smashed all sorts of courses, because maybe they were missing 20mm of travel, but surely the amazing leveling capability of 29ers would be enough to make up for it?

And now I'm about to do a 50 mile xc race with about 3-4K of straight unbroken descent...on my 29er.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
According to NSMB, Santa Cruz had to ask for some sort of permission to use the 29er V10, since it isn't a production model. They had to commit to producing it within 10 months of using it at the WC level. I wonder if the same applies to Norco and their monstrosity.
ARTICLE 1.3.007 “Bicycles and their accessories shall be of a type that is sold for use by anyone practising cycling as a sport. Any equipment in development phase and not yet available for sale (prototype) must be subject of an authorization request to the UCI Equipment Unit before its use. Authorization will be granted only for equipment which is in the final stage of development and for which commercialization will take place no later than 12 months after the first use in competition. The manufacturer may request a single prolongation of the prototype status if justified by relevant reasons. The UCI Equipment Unit will pay particular attention to safety of the equipment which will be submitted to it for authorization. The use of equipment designed especially for the attainment of a particular performance (record or other) shall be not authorised.” The bicycle must be accessible to all participants. All the components of the bicycle must be available commercially (i.e. available on the market or sold directly by the manufacturer) at the latest twelve months after their first use in competition. To implement this twelve-month period, the manufacturer must publicly announce that the product in question is being used in competition and when it will be available for sale. In all cases the product must be in a final stage of development, very similar to the product that will be marketed. Thus, it is not allowed to use equipment in competition that is not either available on the market or authorized by the UCI Equipment Unit and previously communicated by the manufacturer (with a twelve months period for the marketing). The use of equipment specially designed for a particular athlete, event or performance are prohibited. "Specially designed" means a bicycle with a technical added value when compared with other equipment. No minimum production quantity or minimum price is defined for either bicycles or any component parts.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Roskopp admits this ^^ towards the end of the Dirt "Lourdes reaction" vid

Get yer letters aff tae Santa quick kidz

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So there was a pretty long out and back with this race, around 25 miles, heading back up the hill(after a crap load of tech and descending) I saw XC bikes coming down first , then the plus bikes, then the Enduro bikes, then the fat bikes. All pretty well seperated by genre. Conclusion=plus/fat is slow.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Well nothing left to do but convert the rest of my life to 29 too...

29" dubs on my fresh whip
29" yeti cooler
29" hot dogs on the Traeger
29" 4k tv
29" iPad
29" pink balloon...it'll last my 3yo days of fun/babysitting
29 disc DVD changer
29 volt outlet for more 29er things
29 cheese queso
29 blend barley and hops ipa

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well nothing left to do but convert the rest of my life to 29 too...

29" dubs on my fresh whip
29" yeti cooler
29" hot dogs on the Traeger
29" 4k tv
29" iPad
29" pink balloon...it'll last my 3yo days of fun/babysitting
29 disc DVD changer
29 volt outlet for more 29er things
29 cheese queso
29 blend barley and hops ipa
I support 29 cheese queso.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
My only hope is that an ultra-high-performance application of 29" wheels will trickle down some of the more careful development of steering angles and steering offsets for production bikes. On my old Enduro 29 I thought those parts of the handling were just a "best guess" and delivered some funny handling on off-camber sections and flat corners and in deep ruts.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
My only hope is that an ultra-high-performance application of 29" wheels will trickle down some of the more careful development of steering angles and steering offsets for production bikes. On my old Enduro 29 I thought those parts of the handling were just a "best guess" and delivered some funny handling on off-camber sections and flat corners and in deep ruts.
Handling? I heard they roll over everything, even the Earth on the way to Mars.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Is the race delayed or something? Red bull TV says starting live at 7:30 EDT it is currently 7:30.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The future is now...

My only hope is that the ultra-high-performance of ultra-light and durable parts that are required to make 29rs comparable to other wheel sizes come down in price to the same place 26r stuff is now. It looks like I may have no hope.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The future is now...

My only hope is that the ultra-high-performance of ultra-light and durable parts that are required to make 29rs comparable to other wheel sizes come down in price to the same place 26r stuff is now. It looks like I may have no hope.
i just hope somebody reopens the offset/fork rake rebate. everybody going 55mm wasn't necessarily the right move for faster/more aggressive riders. lower offset keeps the fork handling more slowly and more neutrally. High offset makes the fork more nervous and twitchy, which is what MTBRers wanted in the early days of 29ers.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
i just hope somebody reopens the offset/fork rake rebate. everybody going 55mm wasn't necessarily the right move for faster/more aggressive riders. lower offset keeps the fork handling more slowly and more neutrally. High offset makes the fork more nervous and twitchy, which is what MTBRers wanted in the early days of 29ers.
:thumb:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Nah man, I'm really loving 27.5 dh forks that have the same offset as 29er trail forks. It's brilliant. I really like getting on a bike that's too big for me and it still feels twitchy.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Based on that video with those industry people talking, the feeling I got was 29er riders got a bit of an unfair advantage and that it was expected they would do well.

Maybe we're finally at the point where things will stabilize?? 29" across the board with standard hub widths.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Is it just me, but I think once everyone gets on 29er the "advantage" will be normalized again until the next "big" thing?

I mean, if a 27.5" bike at X wheelbase is creating braking bumps, then a 29er bike with X+Y wheelbase won't hit the same holes. Duh. But if everyone is on a 29er, then the braking bumps will just adjust. Its not like 29ers have a magical protection spell against braking bumps. At somepoint the advantage will disappear? Then maybe the 26" will come back as an advantage?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Is it just me, but I think once everyone gets on 29er the "advantage" will be normalized again until the next "big" thing?
Exactly what Brendog said in the Dirt interviews from Lourdes. So why not update the rules to a standard size to avoid the keeping up with the Jones' syndrome.

I still don't see how the smaller riders will be able to ride a 29" bike with ~200mm rear travel. Constantly smacked in the ass by the rear wheel in the steeps I imagine...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
while I agree that if proven faster, everybody will move to keep up, however DH has always been partly about the bike and partly about the rider. I know that it's mostly all about the rider, but the improvements in technology have been part of what makes DH so cool. Similarly with F1 vs lemans; lemans is infinitely more interesting because of the reduced limitations on technology. Not that F1 isn't high tech, but like indy car, it's boring to watch unless you're purely into it for the racing alone, and not for the sport as a whole.