Quantcast

2nd Annual Final Descent Mountain Bike Race

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
2nd Annual Final Descent Mountain Bike Race
October 3 - 5, 2003

I have been to Angel Fire Resort for 3 extended DH trips this year and it is a great place to ride. I highly suggest that if you have not made it to a lift access resort this year, you come with us in October to Angel Fire.

We will leave after work Thursday Oct. 2nd so you will only miss one day of work. We will practice and check out the course(s) on Friday and race Saturday. Sunday we will probably ride too and drive all night home. Only 10 hrs.

My truck is full with 4 people already. It would be great to have 2 or 3 cars going. I would think this would be a "bring the girl friend" trip. THere is plenty to things they can do while you're riding. The partys will be good too!

Angel Fire resort hotel rooms are discounted to $69.00 per night. Splitting gas and hotels makes this a very cheap race.

So please e-mail me if you are interested in making this road trip. I'll try and answer any questions you might have.

joel@joelhester.com

Here are a few links to read:

http://www.angelfireresort.com/summer/index.php?PAGE=events

http://www.cyclecyndicate.com/events/findescent/index.html

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
We have two or three going to angle fire here in austin. This will be my second time up there. Anther good race to go too, is cloudcroft. Alex from BCD bikes puts this on, and to tell you the truth. It was a pretty hard downhill. So step you couldn't walk down it. It makes angle fire look like a hike n bike trail not really but it was hard. Well anyways I'll get a hold of you when we get a little closer to the race. Ill let you know, and maybe we can meet up on I 40, and then drive up from there.

for all of you that have never been to angle fire. Its a 7 plus min downhill. Very fast and slow downhill, sometimes your going 35, and sometime your going uphill, very tech course.

maggotbrain

Chimp
Dec 24, 2001
atx
so your name is dirtyj.do you have any relation to the esteemed Dirty Mcbait crew out of austin?i hear they truly ball hard and live the tru lifestyle of DHing.any info on the Dirty Mcbait crew would be appreciated.thanks,maggotbrain

chinoloco

Chimp
Aug 26, 2003
Austin, TX
Do you guys think there is an opportunity for a beginner hardtail at Angel Fire? I'm dying to compete, but don't want to get into something that won't even be fun for a hardtail.

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
You can run a hard tall. I don't think there is a hard tall class. Angle fire is a high speed course. I don't think a hard tall would be fun. You would get smoked out there. I can tell you this I did not see one hard tall on the dh course, but there is a 4x course that is very sweet, and there is a lot of trails that finger off the mountain. I assuming that they will have those trails open to the public. The lift ticket is about 25$. You should make it just for the parties that will be going on at night in town. The hole atmospher
there was real easy going and everyone was really down to earth and willing to help out if needed.

And to maggetbrain, yes I'm the infamous dirty 2 tha J. If you wont to be aport of this notorious dirty Mc bait mafia, You must be a hard core DHer for one, and you have to visit some little hooker named mary jane, she will lead you to the land of Down hilling. You also have to kill someone. OK,' clear enough' cool, so when you meet these requirements, thin you come to see the Dirty Mc bait GOD. He will let you know if your a dirty Mc bait clan member.dj4eva

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
joel. whats up, well the plan is that we're leaving on wednesday
in the morning about five O clock. we're going to try to hit some jumps and trails in santa fe. I know some local riders that know of some jumps near missy gioves house. Will hit some jumps then maybe go and chile with missy. After that will head on up too angle fire. If your interested in going with the dirty mc bait mafia then let me know and will meet up on I-45 near four corners area. This is an exit that is east of albuquerque and south of santa fe, about 20 min from santa fe. Hopping to make it to santa fe about 3 O clock. if you interested in doing this let me know.

RaceFace2040

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
austin tejas
hey jason ur taking me(evan) and jrs bikes up there right? i dont knwo if jrs worked out all the details and **** yet u know how he is. let me know. and oh yea the young guns lol are heading out to toys on thursday, i cant wait to hit lefty.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
We have 5 racers so far. Maybe we'll all cram into my truck. That hasn't been worked out yet. We are leaving Dallas Thurday after work and driving all night. We have a 3 br condo for 3 nights there at AF Resort. We'll sleep-in Friday and be at the lift at 9am friday morning to check out the courses. Race Sat and ride on sunday too. I can't wait!!

joel

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Yeeehaw! Heck yeah! I am SOOO stoked to see some of you guys heading to this event! I'll see everyone down there... don't forget to bring a costume for Saturday night's par-tay, and make it something conducive to riding a mechanical bull in.

A few things of note: #1. Entry fee to the race INCLUDES three days of lift tix! Practice Friday, race Saturday, and full-on raging/riding/freeriding/hanging out on Sunday. #2. Entry fee also includes a t-shirt and poster, which is HYPE this year. The big sponsor Go Fast! footed the bill for the shirts and they're some of the nicest race T's I've ever seen, if I do say so myself! hahaha! #3. While not a hardtail course per se, you should definitely come down as the whole deal is gonna RAGE. Entry fee includes your lift tix, so even if you aren't as "competitive" as you could be on a DH bike, it'll still be a blast.

Check the T-Shirt/Poster design, a thanks for helping to continue to spread the word!

claywt

Chimp
Feb 26, 2003
canyon, tx
dose any one know or remember if all the clases run on the same cours or is there seprate beg,exp,sport courses. iv never raced before but i dont want to be stuck riding a realy lame track if i race a lower class. i ride dh alot but out here at pdc but its kinda a different deal.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Originally posted by claywt
dose any one know or remember if all the clases run on the same cours or is there seprate beg,exp,sport courses. iv never raced before but i dont want to be stuck riding a realy lame track if i race a lower class. i ride dh alot but out here at pdc but its kinda a different deal.
The Alpha Course for Sport/Beginners and Pro/Experts are exactly the same except for one section. The S/B class is routed around a particularily NASTY section of a volcanic rock garden, one that I've seen more than a few top guys have some pretrty burly crashes in. Other than that, the Alpha Course is the same, like I said. The Beta Course (remember this is a STAGE RACE! Sweeeeet!) is exactly the same from start to finish as far as I know.

Angel Fire courses RAWK! That's all there is to it! You won't be caught riding anything even REMOTELY considered a "lame track"! My friend Kevin of White Raven Film Productions has a segment in his new video "Paradise Found" of the Chile Challenge DH, which was at Angel Fire earlier this summer. Right click and "Save As..." on the link below for the goodness!

http://www.cotrials.com/angelfire.wmv

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Remember that it is the time of the year it gets damn cold in the mountains...!!! Make sure you bring something warm for the nights and mornings... the afternoons should be tee-shirt weather...

Have a Blast!!!

:cool:

chinoloco

Chimp
Aug 26, 2003
Austin, TX
thanks for sending that link, full trucker. I visited Keystone, Colorado not too long ago and had an awesome freaking time. I ride hardtail, but want to compete. Not expecting gold, silver or bronze, just want the rush. That's all I want is the rush. Anyway, after seeing the video, I'm going to do whatever it takes to get to Angel Fire.

Planet X Jack Flash RAD

claywt

Chimp
Feb 26, 2003
canyon, tx
i looked on the weather channel websight and it looks like rain pos snow on friday and sat. hows the track going to be if its wet.

WillKRED

Chimp
May 22, 2002
Amarillo,TX
Oh man I am so Pumped this race will be SICK all cold and what no! I Am heading out of Amarillo Today At 12:00! I ride a 03 Bighitcomp With a Strokes Sticker You Best say hallo to me. Oh Shizzle Im out see ya up there:monkey:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Originally posted by akaeasy_j
....how did it go?
SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK!!!!! Holy CRAP for CRAP was it EVER a good weekend up in Angel Fire! Three full days of the illest riding EVER. Period!

HUGE props to all of the Tejas crew that came out, you guys killed it! It was rad having ya'll there for the race!

For peeps that couldn't make it... it rained. I mean... RAINED like a beeyotch on Friday and the first half the day on Saturday. Rocks were a little slick, the mud was flowin' but we were all groovin, diggin' it and having MAD fun. Saturday morning there were parts where the mud was like peanut butter with motor oil spilled on top... let's just say that semi-slicks were NOT the tire of choice! But by the time Beta Course (which is now being renamed Bravo Course) runs rolled in on race day, it had dried enough to make traction much better and peeps were throwing down SICK FAST times.

Saturday night the FREAKS came out of the woodwork... the par-tay was offa da hook, so to speak... so off the hook that I believe I had to remove myself due to over-zealous fun-having! So many rad costumes, everyone was a good sport about wearing goofy crap that we brought if they forgot a costume. People were attacking the mechanical bull like it was a DH course, and the bar folk were doing everything in their power to keep up with the festivities.

Those folks that stuck around for riding on Sunday TRULY KNOW how sick and rad Angel Fire is. The sun held out for Sunday, throwing down HERO TRACTION for as many DH runs as your bike and body could handle. Alpha Course was hittin', Bravo was wide open, no brakes and 40+ mph, and those that found the "secret gem" of the Charlie Course got to sample some sweet sweet singletrack. Charlie is actually the descent of the XC that we run in June, but it's WICKED fun, flowy and turny on a DH bike.

Anyone that has pics to post, DO IT! My good friend Josh (Motionboy2) was shooting slide film all weekend and I am sure he'll have some sick pics for ya'll to peep by the end of the week.

Glad ya'll could make it, we'll see you again in June for the Chile Challengem right? Word!

sickhucker

Chimp
Mar 25, 2003
nebraska
you aint kidin, us boys from over here in amarillo arent used to the wet stuff. but that didnt slow us down to much.. props to every one that came out and braved the mud and i just want to say thanks to every one that helped put on the race and let us tear up the course.

Thrash and Crash Racing
Pricepoint.com
Trek Diesel

chinoloco

Chimp
Aug 26, 2003
Austin, TX
That had to be one of the coolest things I've ever done!!!! My first race, and I place second in the Beginner category. Too freakin' cool.
So, I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of the race. Hope someone has some to post.

Anyone going to the El Paso race?

Planet X Jack Flash RAD

RaceFace2040

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
austin tejas
The race was freakin awesome. It hurt a little on my p2 but was still a alot of fun. i want to get up there for a mtn cross race. i did the course a loved it. i just got to buy a new drivetrain and brakes first...........