Quantcast

2nd Annual Kettle Crest Campout Rides

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Will it be the last? If the enviro"mental"ists have their way over 110 miles of singletrack will be closed to mt. biking. Still a chance to keep this piece of bikey heaven open though. Bring a load of people over to share in the Kettle goodness, cuz mountain trail riding is all about sharing the goods.

This area for mt. biking can hold up to any area period. And since it's just not known about and has flied under the radar will it be lost to the bleached out anti mt. biking restriction of Wilderness Designation?

Kettle Crest is tucked away in the far Northeast corner of Washington State. 5 hours away from Seattle, and 2 hours away from Spokane. Most people West of the Cascades believe Eastern Washington to be dry, arid, with rolling grassy hills and no trees.

Welp i set up camp and as far as i could see, there were do dry, arid, rolling hills to be found.

i led 3 consecutive rides for the local bikey club BBTC and FTTRC (Spokane). 15 people showed up and all were super stoked and had a great time.
Unfortunately i forgot my camera for the first ride. (the most scenic one too...) Something to share for next year when i return i suppose...

Ride 2 Jungle Hill Loop

"Mah horse Hank is uh guuuuud horse!!!"

The crew split for second ride day on the 2nd. It appears as if the hick horsemen got too drunk and started scrappin by their campfire. i camped away from the main campground so i slept soundly, unaware of the tussle. So many people tired from the ruckus, took advantage of a shuttle on up to Sherman Pass, skipping 4 miles and 1000 feet of vert. Ride tally is an 18 miler with well over 3000 cumulative elevation.

A little lollipop loop offshoot we ride on a stretch of awesome descent on the Columbia Trail which meanders around Columbia Mt.

Yet another beauty shot on Columbia with Sherman Peak in the background. The first days ride went around Sherman Peak and further south past 2 more mountains.

Jerome on Kettle Crest North. He's on a work visa here from Paris, and it was cool being able to show him some awesome trails. He stated that this was the best riding he's ever ridden, so as a ride leader that's extremely satisfying to hear.

Suffering thru 4 flats this ride, it takes fortitude and patience for the rider not to throw his rims off a cliff. As well as having a group with alot of tubes. No flats for Ethan on this techy spin up some rocks.

All the descents this weekend were superb, including this small jaunt down to the saddle on our way up to Jungle Hill. Leanin into the switchback....

The beginning of a worthy descent. Jungle Hill Trail will hold up to any descending trail anywhere, pure gold.

Restin by the campfire tellin tall tales.:)

Ride 3 Old Stage Coach Loop

This loop consisted of riding the old Highway up to the Kettle Crest Trail where we quickly dump off a drainage cruising at ludicrous speed down Midnight Ridge. Again another daisy of a descent, then a climb up the mostly doubletrack grassy trail. We lucked out too since we ran into the contracters who were clearing the trail of blowdown. After a little shmoozing they were kind enough to clear the trail of a half mile of clutter for us while we were busy riding.

Kettle Crest North with Copper Butte in the background. Sitting at 7135 feet, it's the highest peak in the range that the Kettle Crest Trail passes by. (The Kettle Crest Trail runs for 45.5 miles along this mountain range)

Midnight Ridge, racing thru the remnants of the 1988 Copper Butte fire.

Past the new growth and burnt trees from decades old fire into some dark forest, then out into the sun and wildflower riddled meadows.

It's all about having fun.

Chelsea who made the first Kettle ride and who's going to be an active representative in keeping mt. bikes open for us.

By the time we completed the loop the thunderstorms had rolled in. Near a long climb up the Stage Coach trail we passed by the trail workers tent. Huddled inside with their doggy i made sure to thank them for clearing the trail. It was appreciated they took the time to double back and make the final ascent log free. It made a big difference especially for me since i was exhausted by that point.

Group shot at Jungle Hill Trailhead.

Was good times, i'm proud that i was able to share. i got super positive feedback from all the people. Comments that this area reminded them of the Sierras in California. Comments from riders that the downhill is among the best in the state. i'm not touting this trail just to thump my chest that i've ridden somewhere cool. No i'm pluggin this ride because i love this area, it's my home away from home since my reservation is a stones throw away. And it's a place where you can ride a mt. bike for miles and carry away with you treasured memories. i can't think of another place i'd want to ride more in the month of July. And it's a place that may be lost before it's found.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
wish I could've done it, last year was a blast. ( thanks to the guy who ran a stop and hit me a few weeks ago)
The local mtb/imba club has someone sitting on the committee for the "travel plan", and many of the rangers up there are strong mtb advocates, so we'll keep our fingers crossed.

geargrrl