Quantcast

2nd hand shocks?

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I'm looking into buying new bouncy bits for my FSR, the rear shocks blown and i want more travel on the front
so.... obviously i'm gunna be tight (not much spare $$) and was lookin into 2nd hand stuff
i got a feeling its a bit dodgy, people only sell stuff when they wanna get rid of it, and they usually get rid of it for a good reason

what are some pointers with 2nd hand bits? i have a feeling i'd wanna deflate/remove springs and feel the dampening, it'd be very nice to see/feel the shocks in action on a bike, but sometimes thats too hard for the seller
more specifically, i have interest in:
Fox Alps 5r
and
Bombshell Wicked Wendy

what should i look out for and what should i avoid with making purchases like these?
thanks lads

Big John

"TEAM XXL"
Well just because "it's for sale doesn't mean it's bad, I would judge the price on age, use and how much it will cost to get rebuilt. I would figure how much a rebuild is on top of the price of a used shock and see how it compares to a new unit.
Kepp looking there are some good deals out there!

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I'd stick to the major brands like Fox or Rock Shox, Manitou, Marzocchi. Chances are a used shock will need a little tlc sooner rather than later and parts will be easier to find for the popular shocks. The Alps 5 is getting a little long in the tooth though. That's about 4 or 5 years old now. Bombshell? I've only ever seen adds for their stuff. I think its low end. I have never seen any one in Vancouver on a Bombshell.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Older Fox Alps series shocks were very reliable and easily rebuildable, so you'll probably be fine there. I'd stay away from any Bombshell products that are second hand, brand new I wouldn't purchase one and used would even be worse. Very much like Hanebrink technology or lack there of....