Quantcast

2x and 3x crank setup as 1x?

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Dumb dumb question about chainline lies ahead, dont say you have been warned.

so, on my fuel ex i am borrowing my buddies old spare set of slx cranks that he has, they are triples but i have a single e13 ring with a blackspire guide upfront... its okay, has problems getting into the biggest gear; i am assuming cause the guide is pushed too far out, i need to take the 3 little spacers out to try and get it closer to the frame.

so, i am looking at getting a set of my own cranks (finally), and i am seeing killer deals on 2x and 3x x0 cranks. can i buy those and run just a single ring up front with the guide and still be okay? i know nothing about chainlines and what is supposed to be what, i just throw the bike together and if it looks straight i go ride it.

thank you in advance for any help.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Step 1: get an X0 crank with a removable spider
Step 2: remove spider install a spiderless n/w chainring
Step 3: you will die

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
3x got it. i guess i could have figured that out with the triple cranks i currently have on the bike although i know sram isnt the same as shimano.

which ones have removable spiders? i might have been looking at them all along, but none of them looked like they had removable spiders to me..

so much talk of death. guess i better not leave any sharp objects around my bike, apparently its out to kill me..?

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
cool thank you. i checked out a few last night and they all appeared to have removable spiders; gonna grab one of those and put a bling ring on it!

thanks everyone for the help

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Yeah, as Mattcz said, its fine. Just think about it like this... when you are in the middle ring, can you hit your highest and lowest rear cogs? (yes I assume)

So just take off the derailer and there you go... 1X