Quantcast

3/05 Pisgah shuttle

t66

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
as long as the rain holds off there are 5 of us going. Last I checked Brevard has a chance of showers in the afternoon. As long as it's not raining in the early AM we heading up.

I'll post a cancellation here by 0630 if we bag due to weather.

See ya there.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
im planning on getting there by 930 at the latest but if you are for sure coming im sure we can all wait around till 10ish for you, the more the merrier. As for the snow, i have no idea, it just rained here (clemson)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
bizutch said:
am I blacklisted??? :o:
Yeah, I told them about the time we spent all day building a landing for this jump in Greenville, and then you came through, landed on top of it and hiroshima-ed the landing into a big pile of dust and broken dreams. :sneaky:

And T, I will be out there as soon as my parts get here! :mumble:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Jeremy R said:
Yeah, I told them about the time we spent all day building a landing for this jump in Greenville, and then you came through, landed on top of it and hiroshima-ed the landing into a big pile of dust and broken dreams. :sneaky:

And T, I will be out there as soon as my parts get here! :mumble:
so says the great flying turtle! :nuts:

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
Yup, It's pretty much toast. The backside of the mountain is gone. There was still some ridable stuff out there, and I hate to be so pessimistic. Maybe there's still a chance for something out there? I guess you guys should be the decider of that.

Sucks though, it had actual elevation loss, and it was a little more than 8 miles from my house.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Nothing other than the people who operate and patronize the horse stables have commented to the rangers about the the increased bike and vehicluar traffic related to the shuttling of Perry. I can only assume that the rangers felt it best to make them illegal to bikes. Everyone thought that we were being dicks to just be elitist, but we have been around long enough to know that this kind of stuff happens. So learn your lessons and move on.

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
profro said:
Nothing other than the people who operate and patronize the horse stables have commented to the rangers about the the increased bike and vehicluar traffic related to the shuttling of Perry. I can only assume that the rangers felt it best to make them illegal to bikes. Everyone thought that we were being dicks to just be elitist, but we have been around long enough to know that this kind of stuff happens. So learn your lessons and move on.
And your blaming this thread for the trail closure?

People weren't shuttling those trails before this thread was started?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The traffic and use of that trail were too great this season to go un-noticed by the other Pisgah users and the Rangers. This thread was a part of that.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
profro said:

Ok I am not trying to bust your chops or be an a$$. But this information is important. Its not a personal attack at you, but you are the one posting the information, hence the questions are directed towards you.

Are you a Ranger, or the operator of the horse stables? Do you have first hand information that you are not sharing? Did a Ranger say to you vehicle traffic or bikes specifically was an issue? Was it parking along the gravel road? Shenanigan's driving up? Were there erosion issues? Maybe it was the confusion of the seasonal/not season Bennet/Perry thing. There are a ton of possibile reasons. To assume it is one over the other isnt necessarily a good thing.

The last thing I want to do is ride a trail (or do anything for that matter) that may jeapordize MTB access in the Pisgah Forest, but at the same time I have every right to ride the legal trails in whatever manor I see fit. Wether it be starting at the top and ending on the bottom, then driving up to get my car or in a loop. I tend to travel with large groups and will continue to do so, that area is a tourist destination, and from my observation of the Davidson River Campground (not the actual RMfest site) during the RMFest I would imagine at least 1/3 campsites had mountain bikes perched some where.

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
profro said:
This thread was a part of that.
You're a silly jackass.
This was obviously a problem BEFORE this thread was posted.

I'm real sorry the trail closed, but look elsewhere to lay the blame.

If this thread was part of that closure, it was miniscule at best.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I think that all he meant was that we were talking about this awhile ago, and now it has happened. Thats all. He lives far away and is not affiliated, nor is one of the rangers/horse keepers. He was just trying to bring this to our attension.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Thanks Mike.

I was contacted by a respected member of the MTB community that asked me to post this on Ridemonkey, as he does not post here. He owns a shop in the Bevard region and I am sure he's just as let down by this, as we all are.

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
I'm surprised the "Sheriff of Pisgah Forest" hasn't chimed in yet.........um.....what's his name.........oh.......Bizutch.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
eio said:
I'm surprised the "Sheriff of Pisgah Forest" hasn't chimed in yet.........um.....what's his name.........oh.......Bizutch.

Yes........someone who cares about the forest and its preservation. Oh the horror.

Listen to what guys like Butch have to say....they're the ones who live there and understand the issues. They're not just talking out of their butt. This stuff is important, man. You can't just ignore trail closure issues like that without wanting to get to the root of the problem and trying to fix it.

RESPECT the mountains, yo.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
eio said:
Yeah fockchop you're a real funny douche of a guy calling me out. And Rob, just man the hell up and own up to contributing to the trail's closure!

You don't know dick about that trail and usage of it in the past 6-8 years like I do. Myself and a small crew of people have shuttled it for 5-6 years now. The usage of it as a "DH" trail was virtually nothing because we never hit it up more than a few times in a year. I can guarantee you I could name every person who had ridden or shuttled it on 2 hands at the time. Until recently it was very much unknown as a shuttle.

This last fall people listed it on MTBR and Ridemonkey as a "DH trail" and gave explicit directions and hyped it up. This fall and winter, it coincidentally got more usage in that manner in a month than it had seen in 3-4 years total, in large part due to all the posts on Ridemonkey and MTBR about it's availability.

Try to fein that you aren't "responsible" for being a MAJOR contributor to it getting closed, but you are. Just friggin' own up and don't everybody act like you didn't add to the problem.

Don't even try to pretend that Perry was SHUT down to bikes completely IMMEDIATELY after the "Monkeyfest" happened to be a coincidence??? That is a load of crap. I'm sure it's nothing to you to come up here and take a crap in the Forest and leave us to sit in your **** for the rest of our lives. You'll just "tourist" someplace else.

I'm not happy about being right, but just sitting happily in Florida and saying "well, I saw lots of mountain bikes there" that weren't mine???

I also don't pretend that I'm not at fault. I shuttled it...the difference being it was about 1-3 times a year in the dead of Winter with 3-4 riders who understood the delicate nature of the situation and we maintained a very low profile and work with the Forest Service in this area on a regular basis to keep trails open to us. We ALL got it closed. That stupid Monkeyfest made sure to seal the deal.

The part that PISSES ME OFF...is that I will live here the rest of my life and now my local trail is shut down and you guys act like it 's no frickin' big deal. What if I came down and brought a group of 25-30 locals down and threw me a little festival at Markham park and got it shut down?

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
bizutch said:
Yeah fockchop you're a real funny douche of a guy calling me out.
Fockchop? That's Robin Hood to you Sheriff.

Your almighty-ness is summoned to the carpet because you're a lip flappin' hypocrite.

"I also don't pretend that I'm not at fault. I shuttled it...the difference being it was about 1-3 times a year in the dead of Winter with 3-4 riders who understood the delicate nature of the situation and we maintained a very low profile and work with the Forest Service in this area on a regular basis to keep trails open to us."

"I'm at fault too.....BUT (insert disclaimer here)....."............ hypocrite.

Look here Bizitch, I deeply regret that trail got closed. That blows for everyone especially you guys that live close by. The 3-5 of us (Hmmm familiar numbers to you) really enjoyed ourselves for the whole 2 runs and 3 hours that we were there. We were discreet as whitetail deer and complete gentlemen in the woods. Much like you say you are. We have only the utmost respect for some one else's backyard.

If we could go back in time and remove that post, we would. BUT......(sound familiar hypocrite) as far as we knew, and with the info that was available to us, not being locals and all, those trails were publicly accessible and there was no way we could be privvy to the "sensitivity of the situation" or the local unwritten law of "don't post a ride in Pisgah".

If we contributed to its downfall with that thread, then we apologize to everyone including you Mr. Hypocrite.

Your little rant screams of the same message that it did last time:

"Don't even try to pretend that Perry was SHUT down to bikes completely IMMEDIATELY after the "Monkeyfest" happened to be a coincidence??? That is a load of crap. I'm sure it's nothing to you to come up here and take a crap in the Forest and leave us to sit in your **** for the rest of our lives. You'll just "tourist" someplace else."

Message is:
Locals only! Outsiders keep out and "you gotta perdy mouth boy".

That's why I will affectionately refer to you as the "Sheriff of Pisgah.
And BTW I do believe it was coincidental.

"The part that PISSES ME OFF...is that I will live here the rest of my life and now my local trail is shut down and you guys act like it 's no frickin' big deal."

(YAWN) Your such an arsehole.
What makes you think myself or anyone else doesn't care? I'm sure there are those who don't, but how do make a generalization like that?

Once again, I'm truly sorry Perry was closed but channel your anger elsewhere.
We are in the same boat as you........one less place to ride.

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
I'll throw in my two cents. I live here. I've shuttled here. I've done quite a bit of trail maintenance here. I don't think the monkeyfest was the straw that broke the camel's back. There is absolutely NO evidence that it did. But, the amount of shuttling that has happened in the last two years on Bennet/Perry has increased immeasurably (sp?). Some of it because of internet forums, some of it do to shops that told people it was a good shuttle (including the one in Brevard that leaked the info in the first place). What it boils down to is that the trails were not cut and designed with amount of use in mind. It does not drain like Tsali and is more susceptible to damage. Rangers, volunteers and hired hands have done a tremendous amount of work out there recently (some good, some bad) and shuttling, lack of sustainability and overuse have shut this down. These are not good DH trails. They may be fun, but a 7inch bike is WAY more bike than needed on ANY trail in Pisgah. That is a crutch used to compensate for lack of skill. There are lots of locals who roast on a 4" bike and have more fun and will go bigger than most. Sorry, that is not the point. Pisgah is not a DH destination. It is a National Forest and access is fragile. Think of good DH spots that any of you guys know of. They are NOT in a National Forest. Ski slopes, Private land, bike parks, etc. Please keep this in mind. Sorry for the long post.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
EIO, I'm not having this little pissing contest with you. I never said locals only. I tried to WARN EVERY SINGLE person on this forum that if they all turned to that trail as a DH run of choice, it would get shut down. Well, apparently the majority chose to ignore that. I NEVER told people to go away or not ride in Pisgah. That is out of my control.
I tried to discourage the masses from using Bennett and Perry as a DH destination. There is nothing elitist or exclusive about it. My concern was for preservation of a trail and a trail system in general. The Forest Service is a small organization and very tight nit.

Until this point, the US Forest Service HAS NEVER had to shut a trail down in Pisgah due to excessive bike traffic or shuttling efforts. It has only been an issue in other regions, primarily out west. This is the FIRST time the Forest Service has shut a trail down due to the actions of DH use.

What has now happened is a PRECEDENT that did not exist on in Pisgah ever before. Certain trails have been blocked for bike use, but never due to shuttling. The Forest Service is now the "Empire" and we are the "Rebels" and they know we exist now. They now have a very heightened awareness of our type of riding.

This has a waterfall effect on all types of mountain bikers in Pisgah for the simple fact it now makes it justifiable to ban bikes from other trails because they have a glaring example of our most extreme impact. It won't matter to the Forest Service what kind of way you access a trail from now on. They will be able to group any trail of similar grade or usage in the same category as bennett/perry cove and be validated in banning bikes from those trails.

That is all...

And Rob is my main target...he essentially said "It's a tourist destination, so what..." I take issue with that.