Quantcast

3-minute Unfunny Jokes

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
Pslide,

Positivity has its place, as does stoke.

People who use either one to mask bad ideas... tools!

I'm sure 3 Minute Gaps has some bizarre type of positive stoke that just doesn't click for me.

On the other hand, every one of Alex Rankin's vids has taught me sheet-tons about how to ride a bike, just from watching the sport's best doing their thing.

Contrast to Clay Porter videos, where I get nothing from watching them except agitation. Where's the racing? Where's the riding? How does someone's eyebrow show me riding skill? How does a close-up of roost show me riding skill? After watching 3 Minute Gaps I feel dumber and more negative and devoid of stoke.

Pretty hard to be positive about that.

Besides, my comedy heroes are Lenny Bruce, Don Rickles, George Carlin and Bill Hicks. I'm sure lots of people on RM find those guys arrogant, bitter or overnegative. I'm also sure that I don't care!

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
My wife and I actually live in Dupont Circle. Does that mean that I couldn't wreck you in person or on a mountain?
He probably read somewhere that Dupont is the gay neighborhood, when all of us who actually live here know it's Logan Circle (the closer to Whole Foods the better). Either that or he thinks what passes as a DC hipster lives anywhere other than Columbia Heights? Best not to take him too seriously. Let his mother take care of putting him in his place; it's her basement.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
He probably read somewhere that Dupont is the gay neighborhood, when all of us who actually live here know it's Logan Circle (the closer to Whole Foods the better). Either that or he thinks what passes as a DC hipster lives anywhere other than Columbia Heights? Best not to take him too seriously. Let his mother take care of putting him in his place; it's her basement.
FAIL!

I grew up in DC but left in 1986...oops...I mean 1994 (left in 86 for grad school, came back 91-94 for a brief period working in DC), so my sense of the place is frozen in time. I'm glad you're up on where men go trolling for other men though! Probably a valuable geographic detail in this forum!

When I left, the hipsters were leaving Adams-Morgan for U Street, because A-M got gentrified.

Logan Circle? Isn't that where the FEMALE hookers used to troll, with unspoken approval from DC Metro PD?

Last edited:

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Thank you for a very good laugh

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Pslide,

Positivity has its place, as does stoke.

People who use either one to mask bad ideas... tools!

I'm sure 3 Minute Gaps has some bizarre type of positive stoke that just doesn't click for me.

On the other hand, every one of Alex Rankin's vids has taught me sheet-tons about how to ride a bike, just from watching the sport's best doing their thing.

Contrast to Clay Porter videos, where I get nothing from watching them except agitation. Where's the racing? Where's the riding? How does someone's eyebrow show me riding skill? How does a close-up of roost show me riding skill? After watching 3 Minute Gaps I feel dumber and more negative and devoid of stoke.

Pretty hard to be positive about that.

Besides, my comedy heroes are Lenny Bruce, Don Rickles, George Carlin and Bill Hicks. I'm sure lots of people on RM find those guys arrogant, bitter or overnegative. I'm also sure that I don't care!

The biggest difference between you and the comedians you choose to stand behind in defense is that they knew who they were offending and knew their audience.

While many find them funny a equally large number find them to me outright offensive and rude.

It is one thing to dislike bees and swat them when they are alone or in small groups. But would you go piss on their neat and not think you would receive quite a bit of brief in return.

Your audience is the reason you are not funny. And that is your fault not ours as much as you would like to think otherwise

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
most excellent reply!

and I'm not joking here.

pretty sure your race coaches would have told you that every turn is drifty, that the ski is never 100% engaged like a railroad and a train -- right?

and that lateral deviations in the drift are lost fractions of seconds, right?

lost time is lost time. you can't get it back.

you can set up a line with drift in mind, obviously. rally car drivers do this all the time! so do speedway and flat-track motorcycle racers, and motocross racers in certain turns.

still, the engaged line is the fastest line -- always.

I would suggest this is true:

people can be their fastest when they are most self-confident; self-confidence tends to follow enjoyment; and if someone really enjoys drifting and is highly skilled, he will probably be very fast even with a super drifty line.

at the same time,

if he could eliminate the drift and stay hooked up, he'd be even faster.

so that's something to think about.

Yes the only real time you can engage the skies like 99.9 % is a flat slope with a surface that has massive amount of grip. If you try to engage the skies 100% in a more pitched slope you wont make it far, then it actually feels like you are train but on a to straight rail road, here plays strength a big part. If you are strong enough and can work through the ski propoerly you can control it somewhat but even pros can bitch about to sharp skies. Anyone who has raced seriously knows this, thats why pros even have diffrent skies with different torsional stiffness since having just enough edge grip is key. This is why skies are usually sharper in the front to the end of the heel and the tails are a little less sharp. so they can slide just a smidge before you put down pressure to help ease the front tips around. I have had one traing session super grippy conditions and boy was it fun. The lean angles we could get was ridiculous.

Not sure about what you mean by the lateral deviations but any way sliding is loosing speed, loosing speed = loosing time, not having a throttle that time means you have to do some other part faster then what the fastest did. Which will be quite hard as you just f'cked up in this corner which will haunt you for the next 3+ turns. So you cant really do stuff that just feels good it have to controlled and fast. This means minimizing the ammount of time you slide in to the turns.

A question to everbody, how many can drift with both feet up on the pedals intentionely? If drift and put your foot down it would take longer to get back on the gas, would that gain in time by drifting offset the increase an extra pedal stroke?

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
Your audience is the reason you are not funny. And that is your fault not ours as much as you would like to think otherwise
Don't be ridiculous. You are not the universal arbiter of what's funny. And this forum (RM DH) is not the universe, either.

A lot of what others find funny here, I find stupid. Does that mean they're absolutely not funny, or just that I don't find them funny?

You're a bit too categorical. You shouldn't be. Nothing is quite that simple. Especially satire, which isn't at all like slapstick. It doesn't provide immediate laughs. The humor is in the context, and if the context escapes you... well... you end up saying such things as "you're the only one who finds that funny."

I'm once again reminded of the problem of spending one's free time practicing gate starts, rather than enriching one's noggin.

Also, what in Hades makes you think I'm using those comedians as a shield?

That's absurd -- and dead wrong.

con·text   [kon-tekst]
noun
the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect: You have misinterpreted my remark because you took it out of context.
the set of circumstances or facts that surround a particular event, situation, etc.

Part of Speech: noun
Definition: framework, circumstances
Synonyms: ambience, background, conditions, connection, frame of reference, lexicon, relation, situation, substance, text, vocabulary

Last edited:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Oh I'm with you. 3MG was pretty bad. Lifecycles was also pretty bad in terms of riding. I didn't even like Follow Me until Gee and Stevie kicked some arse down some mountain in NZ at the very end. The latest crop of videos has not been to my taste.

I did like that Silvia clip though. Although I'm not going to enter into conversations about cornering dynamics because I know a fair bit about vehicle dynamics professionally, and I know enough to know what I don't know. There is not a lot of hard science about lightweight, gravity assisted bikes cornering on deformable surfaces and just about every other mixed condition imaginable. The number of variables in and of itself is enough to make almost any argument one way or the other void. Arguing about it silly. I just liked watching Matt Miles have a whole load of fun on a trail I would love to ride someday.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
Yes the only real time you can engage the skies like 99.9 % is a flat slope with a surface that has massive amount of grip. If you try to engage the skies 100% in a more pitched slope you wont make it far, then it actually feels like you are train but on a to straight rail road, here plays strength a big part. If you are strong enough and can work through the ski propoerly you can control it somewhat but even pros can bitch about to sharp skies. Anyone who has raced seriously knows this, thats why pros even have diffrent skies with different torsional stiffness since having just enough edge grip is key. This is why skies are usually sharper in the front to the end of the heel and the tails are a little less sharp. so they can slide just a smidge before you put down pressure to help ease the front tips around. I have had one traing session super grippy conditions and boy was it fun. The lean angles we could get was ridiculous.
Yep. Different torsional stiffnesses for different firmnesses of course and different speeds in-course. Different tunes to edges for different courses.

A bit too techie for my tastes though. I prefer the approach of get to know one bike, one pair of skis, and know them well. However, I appreciate the technical discipline, even if I don't necessarily practice it myself. It reminds me of playing with damper tunes, spring weight, tire psi.

Not sure about what you mean by the lateral deviations but any way sliding is loosing speed, loosing speed = loosing time, not having a throttle that time means you have to do some other part faster then what the fastest did. Which will be quite hard as you just f'cked up in this corner which will haunt you for the next 3+ turns. So you cant really do stuff that just feels good it have to controlled and fast. This means minimizing the ammount of time you slide in to the turns.
I think you got what I meant, since I agree with what you said about lost time. By lateral deviation I meant there's an ideal, fastest line for a given course, and when your turn has too much drift and takes you wide, it's lost ground, ground you have to try to make up with a line change (going straighter).

Bode Miller's skiing is a perfect example of constant line recovery -- he tries to ski straight, he often loses his line, and his ridiculous athleticism and strength often let him recover. If he tried to race past the age of 40 he'd have to change tactics, as his body won't support that style for a lot longer.

A question to everbody, how many can drift with both feet up on the pedals intentionely? If drift and put your foot down it would take longer to get back on the gas, would that gain in time by drifting offset the increase an extra pedal stroke?
Interested in hearing responses on this. I'm not a drifter, I'm a carver, though when I rode motos I drifted a lot and used to have fun playing flat-track. I've never tried to be fast while drifting because it's counter-intuitive to me.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
FAIL!

I grew up in DC but left in 1986...oops...I mean 1994 (left in 86 for grad school, came back 91-94 for a brief period working in DC), so my sense of the place is frozen in time. I'm glad you're up on where men go trolling for other men though! Probably a valuable geographic detail in this forum!

When I left, the hipsters were leaving Adams-Morgan for U Street, because A-M got gentrified.

Logan Circle? Isn't that where the FEMALE hookers used to troll, with unspoken approval from DC Metro PD?
got it...

so you are a 50+ year old who is hating on a movie made my a 25 year old about 19-30 year olds and marketed for a target audience of 15-35 year olds.

right right, it's them not you I know.

It's a good time to quote bdamschen from a few pages back... "In my head you're like a 60 year old cranky geezer with a bad hip and a hankerin for avoiding your wife, yelling at small kids and the good ol days of fully rigid bikes. It would be awesome if I was right. "

Must spread rep to bdamschen for that one

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
Actually, I'm not "hating" on anything.

And the idea that "target audiences" are the key is the most absurd thing I've heard ever. I would have said the same about Porter's videos if I were 18. The idea that "marketing" is everything... this is where you, and others who argue/think like you, are about as wrong as a human can be. But, also, unsurprising given American childhoods (or Australian or UK... two other locales where "marketing" has trumped reality). One thing you learn after you're alive a while is what's durable, versus what's fleeting. Apparently you haven't learned this yet.

Would be sweet to see what you're like at 50, Dave. How much you want to bet that you'll be embarrassed by the above post if you look back on it at 50?

I suggest a very small wager, so's to keep as much of your worldly valuables as possible.

You should also try mocking everyone who's even a minute older than you. See how that works out for ya.

And that's my friendliest, kindest post of the thread -- just for you, Dave.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
to mock you, is not to mock everyone your age, because it is not about them. it is about you.

everything is about you.

Remember Satire?

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
How do you keep missing the point, Dave?

You act like I do not know that I am 50 and that people like you are younger than me, and have had different experiences -- fewer, and overall more referent to juvenilia.

You're not really telling me anything new here. And so you're not really "insulting" me or "putting me in my place," despite your self-satisfied gloating!

It's not all about me, except to this extent: I started the thread to voice MY views on a movie I watched. How would it be about anyone else if it's my thread and my opinion?

Your "criticism" would make sense if I started a thread about why Dave Trumpore is a little impatient with anyone he disagrees with. But I didn't do that, did I?

Where's the "remember satire" come into play here? Help me out. You're the superior one! You just spent 3 posts trying to prove it, so it must be true!

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Yep. Different torsional stiffnesses for different firmnesses of course and different speeds in-course. Different tunes to edges for different courses.

A bit too techie for my tastes though. I prefer the approach of get to know one bike, one pair of skis, and know them well. However, I appreciate the technical discipline, even if I don't necessarily practice it myself. It reminds me of playing with damper tunes, spring weight, tire psi.

I think you got what I meant, since I agree with what you said about lost time. By lateral deviation I meant there's an ideal, fastest line for a given course, and when your turn has too much drift and takes you wide, it's lost ground, ground you have to try to make up with a line change (going straighter).

Bode Miller's skiing is a perfect example of constant line recovery -- he tries to ski straight, he often loses his line, and his ridiculous athleticism and strength often let him recover. If he tried to race past the age of 40 he'd have to change tactics, as his body won't support that style for a lot longer.

Interested in hearing responses on this. I'm not a drifter, I'm a carver, though when I rode motos I drifted a lot and used to have fun playing flat-track. I've never tried to be fast while drifting because it's counter-intuitive to me.
Yeah the technical side of skiing which is more based on "feel" than actuall real hard facts. can be much worse that dh sometimes.

Yes the ideal line is the straightest but for the idividual skier, depending strength and skill he will have to make it wider to get around, thats why a super short slide or unweighting of the tail is OFTEN the ticket to get skies more in line with the fall line so one is able to start the turn asap. Thats why that wont really work on a bike since rubber cant hook up as easily and fast as steel. Sometimes a later start of the turn can be better, usually when it involes some kind of ofcamber turn and the turn has to be almost finished before the gate.

Yep Bode Miller is my favorite skier to watch, he just hangs of the back and by sheer strength muscles around the skies (i am fairly sure that in his prime he was one of the stongest athletes in the world in core and leg strength). A style that is prone to misstakes but super fast when everything clicks.

Last edited:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
You act like I do not know that I am 50 and that people like you are younger than me, and have had different experiences -- fewer, and overall more referent to juvenilia.

I would argue that knowledge is measured by experience, not in years.

So much of your opinion is justified by being "older and wiser" than everyone else in this thread simply by age. And in turn you dismiss others for the same reason.

You are only as intelligent as you think you are, and that is based on your flawed scale of time, not actual learning.

Someone else will be by to feed you soon, and if not you can start another thread just like this one and beg for attention there as well.

It's been fun

Cheers

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
I'm sorry, did I break a rule you had in your brain for what someone is supposed to do at a certain age?

(look at them all scrambling to establish superiority, Cletus... ain't they a hoot?)

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
I would argue that knowledge is measured by experience, not in years.

So much of your opinion is justified by being "older and wiser" than everyone else in this thread simply by age. And in turn you dismiss others for the same reason.

You are only as intelligent as you think you are, and that is based on your flawed scale of time, not actual learning.

Someone else will be by to feed you soon, and if not you can start another thread just like this one and beg for attention there as well.

It's been fun

Cheers
Interesting, but... sadly wrong at every turn. Assumptions = failure; assumptions about another's state of mind, intent, or purpose = glorious failure, going down in flames.

Thanks for taking the Uncle Josh's cheeseball bait though.

You're one smart catfish!

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Are you talking about Silvia or Lifecycles?

I was not a fan of the Lifecycles photoshop segment, despite that being the best shooting in the whole video...
all of the above.

In that Silvia vid posted, I feel that the slow-mo, digital-stuttery fast motion, over-the-top color "correction," camera panning inexplicably AWAY from the subject (bike rider), and similar trendy production trickery really takes away from understanding the rider's technique, getting a broad picture of the trails ridden, etc.

In my opinion, it is a beautiful and raw sport, usually taking place in majestic scenery. Why tart it up with this sh!t?

My pessimistic answer is that most of these guys are only filming MTB videos so as to pad their demo reels to land cheesy advertising gigs.

LifeCycles was the worst... very little bike riding, but lots of Planet Earth knockoffs within a style better suited to heart medication advertisements running on the Golf Channel.

I want mountain bike film that is designed to stoke actual mountain bikers.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Interesting, but... sadly wrong at every turn. Assumptions = failure; assumptions about another's state of mind, intent, or purpose = glorious failure, going down in flames.

Thanks for taking the Uncle Josh's cheeseball bait though.

You're one smart catfish!
You see, as you get older, things that you used to like start looking and sounding like sh*t. And things that seemed sh*tty as a child don't seem as sh*tty. With you, somehow, the wires have gotten crossed and everything looks and sounds like sh*t to you. It's a condition called "being a cynical asshole." And there's no known cure, I'm afraid. Everything just seems sh*tty, and everyone starts to seem sh*tty, and everything they say just starts to thhpppbpptbhpptp tthhhppbbtt thbpt thhhhbbbbbbbttttbbtbttb

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
You see, as you get older, things that you used to like start looking and sounding like sh*t. And things that seemed sh*tty as a child don't seem as sh*tty. With you, somehow, the wires have gotten crossed and everything looks and sounds like sh*t to you. It's a condition called "being a cynical asshole." And there's no known cure, I'm afraid. Everything just seems sh*tty, and everyone starts to seem sh*tty, and everything they say just starts to thhpppbpptbhpptp tthhhppbbtt thbpt thhhhbbbbbbbttttbbtbttb
F*ck you kyle, you're a piece of sh*t.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Gotta love ridemonkey! You know it's the winter time when the threads go this direction. :thumb:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm sorry, did I break a rule you had in your brain for what someone is supposed to do at a certain age?

(look at them all scrambling to establish superiority, Cletus... ain't they a hoot?)
Negative. I was stoked to learn I was only off by a few years... married? How do you feel about fully rigid bikes? :thumb:

Aug 4, 2008
Guys...

I really like when I go to sleep with a thread at page 3 and then wake up to 8 new pages of pure, raw, uncensored trolling and bitching.

Hate to brake it to ya, but Slug is right and always is. **** his bipolar attitude, but he is still right. There being a mob of you does not make you any moar right. :D

Maybe clay should film a new movie. "Twenty character Paragraphs". With closeups of gay RM hipsters in their gay shorts and slow motion closeups of peoples typing techniques, showing IH8RICE searching for demotivators in a blur and then final culmination with the press of a submit button.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I don't think many people disagreed with him about 3MG.

Just everything else. :)

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
What else do people disagree with? 3MG was sleep inducing crap and as a general statement, drifting is slower than a hooked up corner. When you drift, you loose speed and add distance. This is of course, a general statement but is generally correct.

I like to drift and nearly always keep my feet up as I think foot down drifting is kinda cheating unless you really are concerned about going down. I also had a buddy pass me on a road on the inside line hooked up while I drifted to the outside hottin' and hollerin' the whole time for the fun I was having.

Slug has a unique delivery to his opinion, once you see that you become far less offended and will learn to appreciate the different approach and see past the style to the nuggets of agreeable content in them. I would think banning would be an injustice but if you want to hide his posts or ignore his threads, feel free.