Quantcast

30mm or 35mm inner rim width?

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
Started riding Mavic D321 29mm inside back in 2001/2002 then they changed the name to EX729. a very heavy rim but with a perfect width in my mind. Now I ride Dt swiss 481 30mm inside or a Bontrager Line Elite rim.
Have tried like I stated before 35mm rims that makes great tires not so great, Flow Ex 25mm inside that makes great tires not so great in my mind. But I rather go down to 25mm then up to 35mm.

Never really understood why you would want to ride narrow rims, even roadies go up in size these days...

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
30mm ID chiner carbons with 2.3 specialized tires. really like the combo. wish I went for stronger sidewalls. wheels are impossibly lighter than anything I've ridden in the past though.
:stupid:
I don't think it is unusual to have a narrower DH rims than trail/AM rims. I personally run significantly wider rims and significanly lower pressures on my trail bike than on my DH rig.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I personally run significantly wider rims and significanly lower pressures on my trail bike than on my DH rig.
and significantly lighter, weaker tyres too I'll bet?

I'm the opposite. I ride 2.1-2.3 singleplys on my hardtails, same size (2.5/2.35) Exos on my non DH full sus bikes and funnily enough need to run higher pressures than I do with DH casings on my DH bike. rim widths vary (I have 8 mtbs) but I don't own or ever want anything over 30mm internal or any tyre over 26x2.5 for that matter.
I find cornering absolutely horrible with marshmalow pressures, spacehopper volumes and thin sidewalls.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Indeed. But my trails only offer punchy ups'n'downs with occasional drop/jump, few natural or plastic berms and I am generally slow as molasses so I can get away with 30mm ID trail rims and flimsy tires. Plus I lack skill and talent.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Yup, I'm backwards, but at one point in time, I could buy a frame and just move parts around and that is what I did. I would prefer to run ~30mm on everything, but have been waiting for a bit for things to settle down. Fuckin Lizardz:mad: I am thinking of a new bike this year, and if so would like to build up a new wheelset using 30mm rims and some Onyx hubs. Rim brand and model is a BIG ??? Any favorites? Alloy please, my teeth are bad enough that I may burst into flame if I get to close to carabonz dentist wheelz.:no:

...and, about the 19mm - 819's are real hard to kill on a trailbike riding in an area without a lot of elevation or rox to crush.
That's my story an I be stikin to it.:busted:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018

I'm the opposite. I ride 2.1-2.3 singleplys on my hardtails, same size (2.5/2.35) Exos on my non DH full sus bikes and funnily enough need to run higher pressures than I do with DH casings on my DH bike. rim widths vary (I have 8 mtbs) but I don't own or ever want anything over 30mm internal or any tyre over 26x2.5 for that matter.
I find cornering absolutely horrible with marshmalow pressures, spacehopper volumes and thin sidewalls.
I'm pretty slow but I don't like low pressures. And my friend who is fast and runs tubeless doesn't like low pressures either. This is him (just don't mind the music or the editing).

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Yup, I'm backwards, but at one point in time, I could buy a frame and just move parts around and that is what I did. I would prefer to run ~30mm on everything, but have been waiting for a bit for things to settle down. Fuckin Lizardz:mad: I am thinking of a new bike this year, and if so would like to build up a new wheelset using 30mm rims and some Onyx hubs. Rim brand and model is a BIG ??? Any favorites? Alloy please, my teeth are bad enough that I may burst into flame if I get to close to carabonz dentist wheelz.:no:

...and, about the 19mm - 819's are real hard to kill on a trailbike riding in an area without a lot of elevation or rox to crush.
That's my story an I be stikin to it.:busted:
Funny how similar our stories are!
Is it for a trail/AM bike? If so, Stan's Flow MK3 could be a good choice. Coming from 819 and 719 in the past, my bikes now have a mix of Arch, Flow and Flow EX. Very satisfied customer.

I agree with you on the 819, but my experience is that they are more prone to pinch-flat the tires than other rims.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm pretty slow but I don't like low pressures. And my friend who is fast and runs tubeless doesn't like low pressures either. This is him (just don't mind the music or the editing).
That track look sooo much fun. and yeah. fuck soft foldy tyres when you're drifting on the edge of them. What's the YT connection Does your mate ride for YT out in the Philippenes? I ride a Capra too. (only mine's lowered to more DH geometry with a set of 26" wheels).
Editing was fine. kinda wanted something a bit more dramatic after the long pan over the log though. ;)
As for the music. Angsty metal like that always brings a smile to my face. it very much appeals to my ironic sense of humour.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
That track look sooo much fun. and yeah. fuck soft foldy tyres when you're drifting on the edge of them. What's the YT connection Does your mate ride for YT out in the Philippenes? I ride a Capra too. (only mine's lowered to more DH geometry with a set of 26" wheels).
Editing was fine. kinda wanted something a bit more dramatic after the long pan over the log though. ;)
As for the music. Angsty metal like that always brings a smile to my face. it very much appeals to my ironic sense of humour.
That track is fun but when it rains the soil becomes slick hardpack clay which might as well be ice because traction just disappears. Mud tires don't work because the knobs fold. He learned to ride fast in those conditions which is pretty impressive.

He used to ride for the distributor of YT in the country so he had a Capra and a Tues. Even at that local level his jersey had to be sent to YT Germany for approval.

He is now the lead factory rider for Taokas Bikes which is based in Taiwan and the company that makes them also makes bikes for other mainstream brands, including one that you see at WC DH races. His dh bike is a single pivot and his enduro is a vpp both from the same company! You can see the bike here https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1504834146252281&id=959894237412944

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
...I agree with you on the 819, but my experience is that they are more prone to pinch-flat the tires than other rims.
I hear ya. I have a large box of tubes, and everyone of them looks like the victim of a deranged slasher - they be covered in patches. I was so done pushing out of the woods, out of spare tubes and patches (or room on the tube to put a patch). It sucked large, and was sooo glad when more and more tires became tubeless-able.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
You will like them a lotl I am running a minion DHR II 3C Maxx Terra DD 2.4 on the rear and a minion dhf 3C Maxx Terra exo 2.3 on the front on my enduro-s wheels.

-Brett
They're not for my bike, so I'm hoping my wife likes them on hers!

Wheels are due today, new tyres haven't shipped yet.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
What inner rim diameter(s) would be good with 2.3 to 2.5 tires? I've only used sun rhynolites and old 21 mm (mavic) and 23 mm (wtb) rims. The tires were 60a maxxis minions and OG high rollers, 3c maxterra minion and some stick-e nevegals that were probably factory overruns. All 26".

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
What inner rim diameter(s) would be good with 2.3 to 2.5 tires? I've only used sun rhynolites and old 21 mm (mavic) and 23 mm (wtb) rims. The tires were 60a maxxis minions and OG high rollers, 3c maxterra minion and some stick-e nevegals that were probably factory overruns. All 26".
I'm pretty comfy with 2.4" Maxxis and 2.25" Onzas on 30mm rims. They still retain the round profile and offer good sidewall support.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
23-27mm

Oct 4, 2020
In my experience the main reason you would want a 30mm ID or 35mm ID is for the resulting tire profile. Both can run 2.2-2.8 but the 30mm will give a more round profile and the 35mm a more squared off profile. When I have run 35mm front and back I must add that handling and feedback felt a little deadened, and i didnt like it. I run thin grips and thin gloves because i like to feel feedback from the trail to get a better sense of whats going on beneath me if that makes since. I prefer a rounder profile for my front tire with tall side knobs and more spaced out tall center knobs that are siped and ramped on the leading edge for grip and less rolling resistance with squared edges on the trailing end of the knobs for better breaking. As for the rear tire i prefer a more squared off profile with still reasonably tall side knobs but shorter and more densely packed center tread with similar ramped profile on the leading edge and squared edge on the trailing back end of knobs. This setup allows me to lean the bike over as far as i want in berms and maintain grip. Especially on the front with the round tire profile the transition from center knobs to side knobs is smooth without a "on/off" feeling, plus the round profile helps prevent ever mountain bikers bane . . . the dreaded front wheel washout. The squared profile of the rear tire makes breaking traction for drifts, cuttys and scandi flicks a lot easier, while the shorter and more densely packed center knobs provide ample grip while keeping rolling resistance lower then if you had say an Assegai or DHR II on the rear. So id say consider a 35mm ID front and 30mm ID rear. Although 5mm is a little drastic of a difference in my opinion. Currently I'm running a 33mm ID Stans Sentry on my front wheel and a 29mm Stans MK3 Flow on the rear with a Goodyear Newton ST 27.5 × 2.6 on the front and Mavic Crossride Quest 27.5 × 2.4 with a Huck Norris insert on the rear and I love it! So far the only downsides Ive discovered are the squared off profile of the rear tire sometimes loses grip on off camber portions of trail and the Newton ST has one tough casing. I have it the 1.5 ply ultimate enduro casing and even at lower pressures it does not want to squash and conform to the terrain. Hope that rambling helps someone