Quantcast

36 Talas III rc2 fit. What can it be?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
2010 36 talas lll. I rebuilt it annually. Even the talas part. It works flawlessly.

I'm selling the bike so I wanted to replace the wipers and put in fresh oil. The talas part is working great. So this year, for the first time ever, I'm not going to rebuild it.
I hook the pump up to the air valve and see its held the 90psi all year.

Released the air through the pump. Take off the compression knobs, loosen the top caps, loosen the 10 and 15mm down bottom and tap them loose. Pull the lowers off, cleaned them out, replaced wipers and foam rings.

Cleaned out the talas side and put the lower air shaft in with 5cc of float fluid. Added 5cc and put the talas upper assembly in and tightened everything up. We're good to go!

I hook up the old shock pump and give it a stroke and I'm @100psi. Wtf? Try a newer pump- 1=100psi! Wtf? Take the talas out and I'm wondering if any float fluid got in the lower air shaft where the pin end of the upper assembly goes in. I pump into the talas while it's out of the fork and in my hand. 1=100psi. Dammit!

Well, I'll rebuild the talas I guess. I get done rebuilding it and it still won't work. The lowers move freely by hand, but 1=100psi.

I wanna see what my options are, so I call Fox and the tech guy is explaining that the talas has fluid in this part that I need a special tool to disssemble... Blah blah blah... I think he's referring to the ll not the lll. I ask to talk to sales about replacing it with the talas 5 or the float. They don't have any floats left and the 5 would be $265! Holy schitt! No thanks!

(in a whispering voice) What can it be?

Ps. I have the answer, but I wanna see if anyone else had this issue or would have figured it out.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
sounds like 100psi in a single stroke is the pump not filling the chamber.
trying pulling the valve core, cleaning and reinstalling??

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I guess you figured already that air is trapped in a very small space.

Did you check for the correct position of the inner tube valve rods and any damaged O-rings?

That's the home of most TALAS III troubles afaik.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
sounds like 100psi in a single stroke is the pump not filling the chamber.
trying pulling the valve core, cleaning and reinstalling??
True. But the pump was just on it and verified that there's 90 psi in there and the release valve on the pump is how I let the air out. So if the valve is getting compressed enough to let air out, then getting air in won't be the issue either.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Air impregnated with microbubbles full of vacuum.

Formula 1 teams use it to fill their tires, much lighter than regular air.
Vacuum is expensive, how about replacing air with hydrogen? As a bonus, you might get an unforgettable experience when bottoming the fork out.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I find outdated ISCG tabs are often responsible for this kind of problem
I blame Trek.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Zero Energy Loss Air Technology™

I shall market a new proprietary gas shock with a new Vacuum Assisted Gaseous Interstitial Nitrogen Accumulator spring. It will be designed to accept long shaft travel, It will be self-lubricating for the first 35 years of use but will require monthly servicing.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I shall market a new proprietary gas shock with a new Vacuum Assisted Gaseous Interstitial Nitrogen Accumulator spring. It will be designed to accept long shaft travel, It will be self-lubricating for the first 35 years of use but will require monthly servicing.
I like it, but it is unfortunate that Gwin won't be able to help with product testing. :(

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Sounds expensive.