Quantcast

38 Sunday

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Hey guys some a group of us will be out at 38 on sunday at 12:00 don't know if we'll have extra shuttle room but if you want to come feel free, if you have a truck bring it.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Last time I was up there the ranger warned us.....mentioned big $$$ fines.

All this after ticketing the 4x4's and the motorcycles riding on the roads.

nohbody

Chimp
Mar 5, 2005
Seattle
Is this place seriously closed down? I was thinking of venturing out there sometime.

Maybe i'll play dumb and say i just moved here (sorta true). :sneaky:

nohbody

Chimp
Mar 5, 2005
Seattle
Well could someone let me know one way or the other, its tough to tell whats legit, whats closed, and what hush-hush. :help:

I found out about this place(exit 38) through a different site, so I would like to know if this is legit or not. :help:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I just dug up THIS thread from a little over a month ago. That's the last I've heard of the situation out there.
(shrugs)
I haven't even thought about 38 since reading that...not wanting to be a bad seed - well, a worse seed than I may already be.;)

I'd guess the (North) Benders would be alot more in the know than us city-slickers.

Jun 18, 2004
oly said:
isnt that place closed now???? :D
yeah it's closed, except for the 1 guy pushing his M1 to the top yesturday... (I was up there hiking/trail driving/dog playing w/a buddy)...

if ya get pop'd it's '...open season on you... and your bike...' I was told...

all I know is it ain't a crime if ya don't get caught...

and if you need extraction I'm sure it'll get shut down for good and you'll ruin it for everyone...

so with that think for yourself...

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
i heard just yesterday there was still no signage up yet. without signs i don't see how they can bust you. word of mouth means dick to the governing bodies. they won't be able to enforce jack-sh*t without it being posted as closed. maybe it was and the signs got tore down. either way, how were you supposed to know, right? just ride there discreet, and be careful, extractions are bad for an already "closed" area.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
fattyfat1 said:
i heard just yesterday there was still no signage up yet. without signs i don't see how they can bust you. word of mouth means dick to the governing bodies. they won't be able to enforce jack-sh*t without it being posted as closed. maybe it was and the signs got tore down. either way, how were you supposed to know, right? just ride there discreet, and be careful, extractions are bad for an already "closed" area.

*sigh*

is one days worth of riding worth risking an entire area for an entire riding scene? id like to think no..but it really depends on how selfish someone is.

we all know its closed...why be a dick about it and split hairs...just dont ride there until everything is worked out...it isnt that hard :)

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
this is os true if you get caught riding up their before its all worked out and ruin it for everybody then everybody will suddenly be your enemy and nobody will like you anymore

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I was up there today with about 7 guys, and the sheriff pulled up. He asked if we heard anyone shooting up there, and we replied "no" unanimously. He said great and bid us a good day. We overly thanked him and he was on his way. No questions asked. I'm sure those guys answer to different people, but have the same overall concerns as the forest service. I definitely noticed all the work they put in to ward off the 4x4 crowd. The initial spot at the bottom is heavily dozed/blocked, as well as any other spot. The shooting mess has been largely cleaned up. They mowed down all the overgrowth on the side of the road and dug some new water bars for runoff. Overall, I'd say the place has been gone through pretty well. I saw no signs and no destruction of any trails. No Rangers all day. The upper trail (not tippy top) has seen better days. It's heavily rutted in spots and needs some love. We put in some rock in some of the trouble areas, but itneeds more to survive the summer. Help out if you all are up there. Every little bit helps.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
cove rider said:
this is os true if you get caught riding up their before its all worked out and ruin it for everybody then everybody will suddenly be your enemy and nobody will like you anymore
How bout we al stop getting mad at people and just go ride our bikes?

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
NateH said:
How bout we al stop getting mad at people and just go ride our bikes?
I'm confused. Ethan and I thought about going out there but don't want to risk a fine...just not sure with the different threads on ridemonkey if it's ok to ride there or not. What's the scoop Nate???

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
MUTOLI said:
I'm confused. Ethan and I thought about going out there but don't want to risk a fine...just not sure with the different threads on ridemonkey if it's ok to ride there or not. What's the scoop Nate???
I think I've read most of the threads on this topic, and your going to get a dozen different answers and opinions.

Options:
1. You can stay away and not 'rock the boat'.
2. Ride there, get caught, get a ticket.
3. Ride there, get caught, don't get a ticket.
4. Ride there, don't get caught.

Option 1 is a the only gauranteed way not to get caught or get a ticket.
If you like risk, then option 2-4 is your poison.

If you get caught, you might get a lecture about illegal riding and trail building. But depending on who catches you, you might also get a lecture about how it's all good, and have a nice day.

Good luck!

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Big B said:
I think I've read most of the threads on this topic, and your going to get a dozen different answers and opinions.

Options:
1. You can stay away and not 'rock the boat'.
2. Ride there, get caught, get a ticket.
3. Ride there, get caught, don't get a ticket.
4. Ride there, don't get caught.

Option 1 is a the only gauranteed way not to get caught or get a ticket.
If you like risk, then option 2-4 is your poison.

If you get caught, you might get a lecture about illegal riding and trail building. But depending on who catches you, you might also get a lecture about how it's all good, and have a nice day.

Good luck!
:) Thanks for this showing me my options!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
oly said:
Isnt there like 15 kevins in the circle of riders????

Hey, i jsut read 38 was closed down... anyone else hear that?
You can take this Kevin out of the equation :D I don't know jack crap most of the time.... I am ignorant I tell you!

All I am going off is what the nice ticket making ranger told us....earlier this season.

Hack

Chimp
May 8, 2004
Portland
A guy i know up there e-mailed the fed's and her's what they said

I got a response from the Forest Service as follows:

Hi Ronald,

This message is in response to your question about riding mountain bikes near I-90 Exist 38.

The off-road area being used by mountain bikers near exit 38, is not currently closed to mountain bikes. However, it is illegal to cause resource damage (Such as damaging trees or plants, causing excessive rutting that could lead to damaging run-off problems, etc).

The Forest Service plans to look at this area in the near future (date

undetermined) and make decisions about the impacts that are occurring and the suitability of this area for off-road mountain bike use.

Thanks for contacting us and for your desire to use the National Forest legally.

Doug Schrenk

Environmental Coordinator

Snoqualmie Ranger District

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I like the sound of that. I propose a trail day up there to fix some issues that could close the area. I did notice someone has hacked down the large drop at the beinning of the stunt trail. It's still intact, but it's now more of a rollover ladder than a drop. I'm ok somewhat with that, but the person chopped a live tree right next to the stunt to build the ladder. It's very obvious and is no the way to do things. If anyone knows this person(s), let them know. Anybody up for a hard trail day up there soon? 3 weeks or so? I like that place alot, and would love to get it the ok by the men in green. BigB, I gotta get down to ride with ya at Post. It sounds pretty good.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
I've heard Post is sweeet! I've never been there myself but would love to go. The last 3 weekends in June look good for me, or even the weekend after next.

I'm planning on heading to Whistler this weekend, if I can get back home by 6pm Sunday. I have'nt been since last year, so I can't remember how long the drive back is.

I like what the fed's had to say about thirty 8. That's sounds very promising.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
someone cut a tree down? sheesh! take a saw out there with you, dig out around it making a moat of sorts about 6" to a foot below the current surface. saw out the root and bury it. thats the only way to conceal the nuking of living forest entities.....

that letter is promising....thanks for posting it!!

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers
This all about one lady from the DNR getting mad!
Has any signs been posted? NO
Has anyone been fined? NO
Has a gate been installed? NO
Has anything been said since the lady talked to Jason? NO

People have gone up to ride and have had no problems

I wouldn't worry about it

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Certified Drunk said:
This all about one lady from the DNR getting mad!
Has any signs been posted? NO
Has anyone been fined? NO
Has a gate been installed? NO
Has anything been said since the lady talked to Jason? NO

People have gone up to ride and have had no problems

I wouldn't worry about it
Actually no.

She wasn't mad....she was nice to us. She was giving us the heads up.

The email sent to hack is promising if you read it from our point of view. If you look at it from a non-MTBr's point of view, all the trails up there are damaging the forrest. MTB riding could just as easily mean riding around on the logging roads to someone not familiar with what we are doing.

There does not need to be signs posted to get a ticket or make riding illegal in an area we already know we do not have permission to be in already. Ignorance is never a defense against a ticket. :rolleyes: Gahhhhh! (sorry I just recently saw Napolean Dynamite:) )

The part where they mention
The off-road area being used by mountain bikers near exit 38, is not currently closed to mountain bikes. However, it is illegal to cause resource damage (Such as damaging trees or plants, causing excessive rutting that could lead to damaging run-off problems, etc).

The Forest Service plans to look at this area in the near future (date undetermined) and make decisions about the impacts that are occurring and the suitability of this area for off-road mountain bike use.
Is what can, and will hurt us. They aren't talking about rangers looking it over....they are talking about tree huggers and salmon recovery guys who are pretty anal about that sort of stuff. It would be very difficult to hide or correct the "damage" done to the area by MTBr's to someone who doesn't think like we do. You snap the stem of a nettle and they freak out. :)

I can honestly say the exit of the trail at the bottom onto the road is horendous even to me. It is ugly and will be an issue to whoever goes to look the place over. As cool as it is to a MTBr, it will end up hurting us in the long run. It doens't take a brain to see the scarring there on a simple drive up the road....let alone walk into the woods.

I hope that we don't get tickets for riding up there....but if you thumb you nose at the people in charge of running the place....they will insert something up your collective rears when they decide to finally ticket you for doing what you aren't supposed to be doing. We all know the trails aren't supposed to be there.... or else we wouldn't have this coversation at all.

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
It's frikkin state land. That means its ourland (taxpayers). Its not a damn National Park. In ten years that whole zone could get clear cut. That might look a little more hideous than an exit of a trail. Do you think their talking about "damaging trees or plants" in the the middle of the road. The trails are already there people are going to ride them no-matter what, so you might as well enjoy them yourselves or take the initative to handle it proper and find a place you can build and ride with no hassles.

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
you go two 1! i totally agree! according to half the of these e-downhillers, the place is already closed
f-them, if there is no signage, we can ride. BY LAW THEY CAN'T CITE YOU FOR RIDING YOUR BIKE THERE PEOPLE! if some ass-likin' ranger tries to give you a ticket, give him the facts, sign it , then contest it. it will neverNEVERneverNEVER hold up in court. too much of a pansey to stand up for yourself in court? hire a lawyer! or just don't ride somewhere you love because some knownothing ranger w/ no facts or authority told 1 person the area "might" be closing soon. then a year later when this whole deal either comes to a head or blows away, be real pissed of people still rode there while you sat at home and whined about it being closed.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
fattyfat1 said:
you go two 1! i totally agree! according to half the of these e-downhillers, the place is already closed
f-them, if there is no signage, we can ride. BY LAW THEY CAN'T CITE YOU FOR RIDING YOUR BIKE THERE PEOPLE! if some ass-likin' ranger tries to give you a ticket, give him the facts, sign it , then contest it. it will neverNEVERneverNEVER hold up in court. too much of a pansey to stand up for yourself in court? hire a lawyer! or just don't ride somewhere you love because some knownothing ranger w/ no facts or authority told 1 person the area "might" be closing soon. then a year later when this whole deal either comes to a head or blows away, be real pissed of people still rode there while you sat at home and whined about it being closed.

...and people wonder why places get shut down? :nope:

does the word stewardship mean nothing to you? either work WITH those that have the final say, or deal with the consquences of selfish head-up-your-ass antics...i prefer the former, but judging by the above quoted text, you are all for the latter. tis a shame.

there have been dirtjumps saved, trail networks preserved, and trials skill parks re-opened due to rider groups working with municipalities and enforcing a voluntary closure until a final solution is reached...why does this have to be so difficult here...there is no reason what-so-ever that things have to go where they are aparently heading...no reason at all.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
fattyfat1 said:
...if there is no signage, we can ride. BY LAW THEY CAN'T CITE YOU FOR RIDING YOUR BIKE THERE PEOPLE!
I don't claim to know the law, but I would like to know where you are getting your facts?
If that is true then the rangers that patrol the Duvall spot were illegally writing citations to the shooters and guys riding dirtbikes on the roads.
At the spot in question they have been posting "no shooting" as long as I have ridden there and as soon as they put up new signs they get shot down. Once they have posted it as you can't do a certain activity (shooting, dirtbiking, 4x4ing, MTBing, picking mushrooms, etc.) in that area, they have the authority to cite you for doing it whether or not the signs still exist. You may be able to go to court and plead ignorance, but I'd bet even money you might get it reduced, but it wouldn't get thrown out.
$.02

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
there has been no signage posted! there have been no citations given! the sherriff gave riders the "blessing"! the government has been contacted, the proper authorities have been alerted! 38 is not yet closed.can't you people read! if you don't want to ride there because of a "probably", thats your problem, not mine! don't preach to me about stewardship and responsibility on an open area. i build trail and maintain trail near to where i live, 38 is a little far for me to do maint. for only riding there a couple times a year. i would be more than happy to help you if you actually got organized and did somethething instead of whine and preach on internet forums because you're afraid of complete misinformation nearly two months old. people are riding there. people are going to ride there in the future. if you don't want to ride there, don't. simple.

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
oh ya, i do know the law to by the way. wife w/12yrs at law office,many attorney friends who i have discussed acess issues w/ over many a beer. dad was a cop for 28yrs. so no, they can't cite you for riding. if the scenario trailhacker touted was true, we would need a manual to enter the woods. it would look like fishing and hunting regs. i don't have that manual, do you? that how we would know if an area is closed. there would be signs and/or regs. telling us.

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers
The Forest Service plans to CLEAR CUT this area in the near future (date undetermined) and dont care about impacts that are going to occurr and the suitability of this area.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
Clearcut that area? Isn't that area part of the greenway put together years back by Governer what's his name? I thought it ran most of the way up there along the highway? I doubt they'll clearcut a place so visable and close to the highway??? It would be a shame. Regardless of whether there are trails and such. It's a beautiful, well used area. There's gonna be a showdown! I never thought about laying down across the road, but maybe a trail? Hmmmm.......maybe not....