Quantcast

3rd group ride last night...

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
So I've posted a couple of times here about my first group road rides. Last night was my 3rd time with the same group. There were around 40 people last night and the weather was beautiful. It is a 22 mile loop with flats, some steep climbs (and long descents) and some great, fast, meandering residential streets. It also was the first time I rode my new carbon fork (very smooth) and shorter stem. Those made a huge difference in the feel of the bike. Loved it!

The bad news is I got dropped from the main group, but that is no surprise. The good news is that I wasn't the last rider AND my average speed improved from last time.

The coolest part was that I had my first experience with the whole leader/drafting dynamic. Very cool. I was riding with four other guys and I was second in line, hammering to stay on the guy's rear wheel. After a while, he pulled off to the left and slid back, giving me a nod as he went by. I was a bit surprised, but not wanting to disappoint, I did my best. It was an awesome feeling being the lead and having these four guys drafting.

Inevitably (sp?) we began a climb and I couldn't hang, so I dropped back to the rear and I know I could have stayed with them, but there was just enough distance between us that I got caught at a friggin red light. It was frustrating watching them ride on while I sat (and it was the LONGEST light ever... :mad: It was cool while it lasted, though. Anyway, another guy pulled up next to me and we ended up riding together the remaining 5 miles or so.

I'm really jealous of these guys with 8,9,10 cassettes in the back and here I am with only 6. Although I'm a newbie and more cogs would be great... I also know that the 6 is really going to make me a stronger rider.

Anyway... cheers! :dancing:

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
:mumble: Heh. I think I'm getting dropped more because I'm so freakin out of shape and a newbie, to boot... rather than my lack of gears! :p

I briefly considered upgrading to 8 but I've decided not to throw too much money at this old Cannondale. I'm going to save up and buy something better once we get settled in Tucson.

Until then, I will try to stay satisfied with it and hammer on the 6 until my legs are solid steel. Besides, I wouldn't want to draw down the wrath of the other monkeys who pick on you for having a triple. ;)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Opie is wrong - a triple will not keep you from getting dropped on hills. Eventually your quads will become stonger and your technique will improve so that you learn the little tricks needed to hang on.

Road riding can be great fun - especially when you are going fast!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

snipes287

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
sorry for bringing back such an old thread :eviltongu:, BUT...

I just wanted to say

DOUBLE TO SIX REPRESENT!

ok so maybe a few more words...
im a fairly new, well, newb (...yea...) and was at first left in the dust as well on the hills and such but you will get use to it eventually, it took me a few months to somewhat hang with all the double/triple to 9s and 10s. Still not there but im deff getting closer.

Buy the way, old bikes are great, not only do they make you a stronger rider, but the paint jobs are awesome. I have an 89 centurion ironman in the stock pink/purple and yellow paint scheme with a bright green rear tire :cool: . To some it may seem "g@y" but that’s usually not what im thinking about, im usually thinking how the other guy on his new nicely colored 9/10spd is taking to my passing him. I can only imagine it’s a wonderful feeling seeing some lil punks a@@ wiggling in your face, go by on a pink/yellow double 6. so all in all its great. Well sorry you had to suffer threw this I know the way all of this was worded was horrific but oh well…Im sure your all smarter now knowing all of this information. So with that I bid to you farewell.

Ok I will go away now.