Quantcast

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23771735/

The overall U.S. death toll in Iraq rose to 4,000 after four soldiers were killed in a roadside bombing in Baghdad, a grim milestone that is likely to fuel calls for the withdrawal of American forces as the war enters its sixth year.
The American deaths occurred Sunday, the same day rockets and mortars pounded the U.S.-protected Green Zone in Baghdad and a wave of attacks left at least 61 Iraqis dead nationwide.
The four soldiers with Multi-National Division — Baghdad were on a patrol when their vehicle was struck at about 10 p.m. Sunday in southern Baghdad, the U.S. military said. Another soldier was wounded in the attack — less than a week after the fifth anniversary of the conflict.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Sweet! At a clip of only 800 per year, we should only lose about 80,000 soldiers by the time McCain's hundred years are up and we get out of there.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Sweet! At a clip of only 800 per year, we should only lose about 80,000 soldiers by the time McCain's hundred years are up and we get out of there.
That's not bad compared to Vietnam. :disgust1:

Too bad the price tag is a bit much to support.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
crap, i thought this was going to be a thread about hot shirtless mesopotamians eating figs between car bombings

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
These soldiers should be glad that they're able to experience the growth of a democracy firsthand.

Personally, I think they'd much rather live off Daddy's dime at a posh ranch in Texas.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
These soldiers should be glad that they're able to experience the growth of a democracy firsthand.

Personally, I think they'd much rather live off Daddy's dime at a posh ranch in Texas.
you are pretty stupid.

evey soldier in Iraq is serving there voluntarily.. it's not like anyone is asking you to go (assuming you could get into the US military).

so get off your high horse before you get bucked off

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
evey soldier in Iraq is serving there voluntarily.. it's not like anyone is asking you to go (assuming you could get into the US military).
Aren't a lot of soldiers being forced into multiple tours that were not part of the original agreement when they signed up?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
you are pretty stupid.

It's a good thing the National Guard only has to do one tour per 8 years and there is no such thing as "stop loss".

Also, officers can just resign their commission if they disagree.

Oh wait, they changed all that, huh? Never mind.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
there never has been anything saying how many tours you will do when you sign-up.

ever
Wrong.

Military.com said:
USA Today on Aug. 26 revealed that Army planners "have concluded they will have no choice but to force thousands of troops to return to new overseas assignment after only a short time at home." The newspaper also said preliminary Pentagon estimates indicate as many as 25 percent of the soldiers now in Korea, Iraq and Afghanistan might have to serve consecutive tours.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
of all the 'grim milestone' stories i've read, i don't recall any of them stating the milestone was met due to "non-combat related incident".

i'm sure to break out the numbers beyond simply deaths in a combat zone would make those anti-war masturbaters go limp, and give the lie their "war heros" like 3-time purple heart "winner" j.h. kerry

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
pfft... never ever have seen any guarantee on how often and here deployments will be.

you should know that

Stop Loss is not a new thing and again you should know that too.
Stop loss isn't new, but it also was not used before now either. The original agreement for National Guard was an 8 year rotation for mobilizations of 12 months or more.

One of the biggest selling points to recruit folks for Afghanistan in '06 was the idea they would be removed from rotation. My old unit was an all volunteer deployment and at least 90% did so because that would allow them to miss Iraq.

Last month, they got a memo about an '09 deployment to Iraq. Needless to say, there are many who are mildly unhappy about this.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Stop loss isn't new, but it also was not used before now either. The original agreement for National Guard was an 8 year rotation for mobilizations of 12 months or more.

One of the biggest selling points to recruit folks for Afghanistan in '06 was the idea they would be removed from rotation. My old unit was an all volunteer deployment and at least 90% did so because that would allow them to miss Iraq.

Last month, they got a memo about an '09 deployment to Iraq. Needless to say, there are many who are mildly unhappy about this.

We had a stop loss on our reserve unit back in the first Gulf War and it's been on and off and back on again since 9-11 so, it's not new and has been used depending on what kind of unit you are in.

If you are serving in the guard/reserved and wanting to retire then you already know by now that mulitple deployments to SW Asia are going to happen no matter how much you wish/hope/pray they wouldnt.

anyone that is surprised by this is simply ignorant.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
of all the 'grim milestone' stories i've read, i don't recall any of them stating the milestone was met due to "non-combat related incident".

i'm sure to break out the numbers beyond simply deaths in a combat zone would make those anti-war masturbaters go limp, and give the lie their "war heros" like 3-time purple heart "winner" j.h. kerry
4000 dead is still 1000 more than we lost on 9/11. It sucks no matter how you look at it.

Especially since we still have yet to avenge it, being that we are in the wrong fvcking spot.

What really, REALLY sucks is the thousands of maimed and disfigured soldiers coming home who will not get what they deserve, and the ones who may need mental health care who will have to wait a long time for it. It's a fvcking shame.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
you are pretty stupid.

National Guardsmen have the choice not to deploy?

And do you think voluntarily dying makes it better than being conscripted?

I think it is horrible that Americans and Iraqis are dying.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
why the 'celebration' for every 1000 soldier/marines/airmen/sailors killed in action..??

what about the 100,000's of those who served their tour and came home?
I didn't see anyone celebrating, except maybe some people in the country our military is occupying.

I wasn't aware of anyone tracking the 100,000s who made it home. Probably because most of them get sent back, unless their bodies are too screwed up for them to be useful anymore. Feel free to provide links though, you are good at that.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What really, REALLY sucks is the thousands of maimed and disfigured soldiers coming home who will not get what they deserve, and the ones who may need mental health care who will have to wait a long time for it. It's a fvcking shame.
When my unit got home from Iraq, it was touted as the only deployed unit to have no fatalities (and is still the only unit as far as I know). But there are many who lost arms and legs who can't return to civilian jobs and countless others who suffer from PTSD and night terrors.

I don't think there will ever be solid numbers that reflect those individuals. And I don't think society wants to see them, either.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
National Guardsmen have the choice not to deploy?

And do you think voluntarily dying makes it better than being conscripted?

I think it is horrible that Americans and Iraqis are dying.

Realistically, we're pretty much going to be there in one form or another for the next couple decades. Could be another Korean deployment site.

Pulling out isnt really an option no matter who the president is or what they 'promise' to do.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
4000 dead is still 1000 more than we lost on 9/11. It sucks no matter how you look at it.

Especially since we still have yet to avenge it, being that we are in the wrong fvcking spot.
so you believe the gwot is legitimate as long as we're only pursuing obl? and even then it's about revenge, and not justice?

appears like you're saying a few seemingly incompatible things here. add to that obl's latest statement once again confirms the jihadidsts' & al-Q's legitimacy in iraq, calling it the main front of this long war against the west.

even obl agrees w/ bush.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Pulling out isnt really an option no matter who the president is or what they 'promise' to do.
why not? you can't force a democracy, it just doesn't happen, especially the way the us is trying to do it. why do we need to stay and waste resources and lives to try and keep a failed democracy going?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

_Percent of deaths that were non-hostile: 18 percent

_Number who died of illness: 66

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
why not? you can't force a democracy, it just doesn't happen, especially the way the us is trying to do it. why do we need to stay and waste resources and lives to try and keep a failed democracy going?
why not? we've been doing it here for over 225 years

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
so you believe the gwot is legitimate as long as we're only pursuing obl? and even then it's about revenge, and not justice?
Revenge or justice, either way the administration took it's eye off the ball pretty quick.

appears like you're saying a few seemingly incompatible things here. add to that obl's latest statement once again confirms the jihadidsts' & al-Q's legitimacy in iraq, calling it the main front of this long war against the west.

even obl agrees w/ bush.

Well, good thing we invaded and brought al-Q into Iraq then innit? Bin Laden sure would have looked stupid.

I think Saudi Arabia would have been the best target. Lotsa loot there, and after all, it was Saudi hijackers on 9/11 anyway.

It's not like GWB is above stabbing a buddy in the back.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I don't think there will ever be solid numbers that reflect those individuals. And I don't think society wants to see them, either.
I was listening to a radio report about how many soldiers who need treatment for ptsd and other mental health issues have to wait forever for it.

Sadly, many will save the government the trouble with suicide.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
non-combat incidents are no small issue, nor is it playing loose with the numbers. these are real deaths, real soldiers, and are occuring in iraq as a result of the conflict even if the "final event" wasn't a gunfight. not sure if you've caught the Stiglitz paper on the cost of the war, but one of the tidbits is that while the numbers for combat-related injuries (that is, severe enough that they needed to be removed from theatre) is currently 30,000 but the total for iraq is actually 70,000.

Things like vehicle accidents making late night supply runs in contested territory on bad roads were examples of how a non-combat injury occurs. To me, those still count.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Things like vehicle accidents making late night supply runs in contested territory on bad roads were examples of how a non-combat injury occurs.
Worst episode of BJ and the Bear ever.