Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
First off I will let the other thread die off, alot of pics have been removed due to time and space.

This is the 07' Weight weenie thread. (I'll start another in 08" :D)
OK it's a new season, all the little kiddies have the wish lists in and the new DH season is almost upon us. There's a ton of change in the industry regarding weight savings/tubeless etc..
Its build time around the globe so lets start off with some basic guidelines:
1- bikes posted should have pics
2- bike weights have to be around the 40 mark or will be soon.
3- Tips and help is appreciated for all.
4- experienced feedback regarding parts is always appreciated.

I know these are beaten threads, there are new riders this year. They have new jobs, pay raises, x-mas money, etc... as well as new equiptment coming, In hand or on order. The industry has been getting on the diet train as well.

Old one was karpiel armageddon 40.06 with light on it! :D

Updated to new ride:
Had to swap to the new ride! 35lb 15oz (less with twenty6 now)

Saved some more weight over the Thomson stem! :thumbsup: with hardware the twenty6 was 130g the thomson X4 50mm was 180g so 50g less.

Build:
jedi large
roco wc air
boxxer wc
thomson x4 50mm stem
I9 wheelset 6.1 front dps 32 hoop rear
schwalbe black shark mud Heavy Duty casing 2.25 tires (just shy of a maxxis 2.5)
Middleburn rs7 cranks
xpedo mag pedals
King Ti headset
Answer pro taper OS bars
Formula the one disc brakes 203 front 165 rear
XO der
X9 shifter
ODI rogue Long grips
SDG Ibeam
SDG Ifly saddle
XTR cassette 11/34
34th dangerboy DH chain ring
E-13 LG1 guide

Last edited:

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
he said around the 40lb mark, above or below but close to. I don't think he was trying to exclude lighter, just heavier bikes.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham

39.25lbs

66sl
dhx air
ust maxxis minions 2.5, tubeless
hope hubs
hope mono 4 brakes w/alloy spyder for rotors
hope seat collar w/ qr and rear wheel qr
thompson seatpost 410mm
SRAM x-7(less$ than x-9) shifters and ders and cassette
FSA pig pro HS
FSA 70mm gravity light stem
FSA gravity light bars
FSA gap cranks
e13 drs
whipperman chain
wellgo magnesium pedals
odi rogue lock-on grips
wtb rocket v cromo

the 07 frames weigh about 1lb less and my cranks are heavy

I could loose some weight with lighter cranks, switching to a light weight I-beam seat and post, ditching the drs would help too, but suck.

.thumper.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
I don't mean to sound like a snob, but 40 lbs FR / trail bikes are not uncommon nor difficult to accomplish. This should be limited to near 40 lbs or less full-on DH race bikes.

I have an Iron Horse World Cup on order for 2007 with some immediate changes when I get it. I'll post pics in February or something when it finally arrives...:wait:

I raced 42 lb SC v-10 in 2006. Pic not completely up-to-date.

Attachments

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
This was my '06 rig. Not sure of the weight, but it was pretty light

Frame: 2005 Med Turner DHR
Fork: 2006 Rock Shox Boxxer WC
Rear Shock: Fox DHX 5.0 w/ Ti Spring
Headset: E-13 Reducers, FSA bearings
Stem: E-13 Integrated
Bars: Race Face Diablous :poster_oops:
Grips: ODI Lock On
Shifter: SRAM x.0
Brakes: Hayes Mags, Goodridge Lines
Hubs: DT Swiss
Rims: Mavic 823
Tires: Maxxis Minion F/R
BB: FSA Platinum Pro
Cranks: Middleburn
Chainguide: E-13
Chainring: E-13 36T
Seatpost: Thomson
Saddle: Selle Italia 135g
Pedals: Time Atac Z
Derailier: SRAM x.0

Pics not totally up-to-date

marra

Chimp
Apr 22, 2005
First off I will let the other thread die off, alot of pics have been removed due to time and space.

This is the 07' Weight weenie thread. (I'll start another in 08" :D)
OK it's a new season, all the little kiddies have the wish lists in and the new DH season is almost upon us. There's a ton of change in the industry regarding weight savings/tubeless etc..
Its build time around the globe so lets start off with some basic guidelines:
1- bikes posted should have pics
2- bike weights have to be around the 40 mark or will be soon.
3- Tips and help is appreciated for all.
4- experienced feedback regarding parts is always appreciated.

I know these are beaten threads, there are new riders this year. They have new jobs, pay raises, x-mas money, etc... as well as new equiptment coming, In hand or on order. The industry has been getting on the diet train as well.

super nice bike!

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
my v10 is 20kg right now, getting it down to 18.3 for next year with the following changes:
maxxis dh tubes for welter weight tubes
double track rims for ex823 rims
888rc2x for 888slata
e13srs for e13lg1

.thumper.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
36.5 pounds?? That's crazy, I guess the frame is only 8 pounds. There's still a few places where I could suggest losing weight as well... how does 34.5 pounds sound? haha!
Where do you suggest losing two more pounds? A ti coil would drop almost a pound, but I'm not sure where else to drop weight on that bike and still make it a worthy DH bike.

I've ridden that exact bike and it completely rips! I thought the head angle felt a little steep for my tastes (notice how much stanchion is above the top crown) compared to my v-10. If my team weren't getting such a great deal from sponsorships from Iron Horse and Specialized this year, this is the bike I would definitely get. Anyone thinking about a SOCOM should totally get one if they like their v-10 or m3.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
My 07 race bike. Sits at 40.49lb on a digital scale. The bike is far from complete. I still have industry nine's, a Ti coil, Ti Saddle, stan's no tubes and several other goodies to add on before it's "done." I could drop some more with mallet's I'm sure, but f**k those things :plthumbsdown: I see sub-39lb's as a reasonable goal without sacraficing performance or durability!

PS: Weight was taken with pedals ;-)

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
Here is joelsman's pic

i have a similar build on my DB but with MTX rims and Hayes brakes, DHX coil and handlebar stem, and mine is the baby blue, wt is about 41.5 lbs

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
My 07 race bike. Sits at 40.49lb on a digital scale. The bike is far from complete. I still have industry nine's, a Ti coil, Ti Saddle, stan's no tubes and several other goodies to add on before it's "done." I could drop some more with mallet's I'm sure, but f**k those things :plthumbsdown: I see sub-39lb's as a reasonable goal without sacraficing performance or durability!

PS: Weight was taken with pedals ;-)

Wow, thats going to be even more killer with those upgrades. I was waiting for you to run a ti a spring, you're going to be even close to a typical bullitboyz build. Have much fun on that thing.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
Sup P, hows the westside treating ya!
hey its great!

not riding as much as i would like but with work and Asa(9months now) its hard to get time to ride...this spring/summer i plan on doing some trips though and getting the wife out riding lots too!

but yeah i sold the DH bike and went through a couple other bikes until i got the dirtbag. not much time on it yet but it feel great so far, the DHX is hard to get dialed though...

your bike look sweet! you need to get up to moscow mtn and ride the new freeride trail up there, thom9763 or something like that on here built it, pretty fun, called the sentinal.

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
Alderwood mall! Wus up!
Used to live there and appleblossom used to rock.
Thanks I love the Karpy as well. It rides bomb, I was doing no footers and trying no foot can cans. Jumps well.
Hahaha, for real yo. I'm living in Lynnwood now while I'm at college, but yeah Apple Blossom in Wenatchee is a damn good time no matter how you play it.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
So I have a question, If I am sponsored by a shop or buy Intense, race a Socom for a season, can you I sell it and hope to god someone will buy it? Don't really see it happinin. I just know that with as picky as people who buy used are that is juat a headache I would not want to have.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The SOCOM is the only FRO bike w/ a warranty, so you may be able to sell it for something, although resale wouldn't be great. The thing is if you're getting it for cost it won't matter too much.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Wow, thats going to be even more killer with those upgrades. I was waiting for you to run a ti a spring, you're going to be even close to a typical bullitboyz build. Have much fun on that thing.
Funny you should mention that! Bullitboyz and I are actually having an R9 build-off this winter. Lightest race-ready R9 by the US open wins a 6-pack and pizza. Normally I'm not really THAT lame about weight, I just run what performs best, and it happens to be light. BUT, since I'll have an entire winter to work, save money, and buy light goodies, why not right? :thumb: He's goin down.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
just needs the x9 stuff, weighs in at 41lbs as seen, which is crazy considering i didnt have weight in mind at all when i built it up. besides, 42lbs is plenty light for a 240lb guy. :thumb:

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
This was my 2002-2003 race bike when I rode Karps, it was right around 40 or lighter, depending on tube and tire set-up.

Since then I've been riding Turners, my DHR is around 43 with a Manitou.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Funny you should mention that! Bullitboyz and I are actually having an R9 build-off this winter. Lightest race-ready R9 by the US open wins a 6-pack and pizza. Normally I'm not really THAT lame about weight, I just run what performs best, and it happens to be light. BUT, since I'll have an entire winter to work, save money, and buy light goodies, why not right? :thumb: He's goin down.
Can I play too?