Quantcast

495 tomorrow may 23rd

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
Apparently someone stole the landing of the tranfer jump at the end of the Ted's. If people can't ride something, they should learn.

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
Well, relocated it.

Although, since I spent about 20 hours or more getting the dirt out of the ground I am claiming ownership of it. So, yeah it was stolen after all.

dbp

Chimp
Aug 26, 2005
was there for about 2 hours today and noticed someone has started building a real ghetto landing at the end of the big line - Ted's I think it's called. I guess I can confirm that there is new (not so nice looking) construction on Ted's. I'm not sure how they changed the landing (a little left hip type jump) but it's now made of tree branches and wood and looks pretty bad.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
The construction on the new landing is sickening. I especially dislike the berm that was built to the right of the new log infested landing, if you were to make it to that berm you would have to hip even harder then the previous landing required. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
yea the landing on the last transfer jump was basically shifted to the right 4 feet at least. and its all soft packed and made with fallen branches and trash.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Seems you've stumbled on an interesting problem with legal jump areas. How do you keep unauthorized modifications from being made?

Short of burying the offenders under the repair?! :sneaky:

This is a bad enough problem with trails.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Back on the west coast it finally just got to the point that spots are super hidden, and there is an understanding if someone shows you the spot, and you change anything, you just get killed.

I rode a spot in Reno, and it was the 11th commandment that you shall not change things. You can build new lines, which I did with the blessing of the guy who spent five years digging the place, but you never, ever, under penalty of death, touch the lips, landings or trannys.

If you can't ride the big boy line, build something for yourself, but don't go futzing it all up for the kids who can.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I agree with you Tattoo. But 495 is no longer hidden (as far as I understand) but an authorized part of the trail system. I suppose some threatening signage may be put up but no one really reads that stuff.

Perhaps you're onto something about building a "beginner" line so that folks of lesser skill may be less tempted to modify the harder lines.

Mike

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Pretty much everywhere in the US I've ridden that has either DJ stuff or freeride stuff, that is part of a recognized trail, has had to succomb to a beginner line.

In the longer line of thought, its actually a smart move to put in a beginner line. It makes more people learn to ride, and that keeps you and me in parts and frames. Without more people coming in, the industry would dry up.

If its part of a trail system, ask them to borrow their walk behind skid loader, and you can bang out an all table top or all rollable line in a few hours.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
495 has beginner, intermediate & advanced lines. has for most of its 10 year existance. unfortunately that hasn't done much to dissuade some folks from digging. and for the record, it's not quite yet a recognized Ffx county facility, though we're getting very, very close thanks to the help of IMBA & MORE.