Quantcast

4MAAB pre-ride Ashford

splat

Nam I am
My self , IAB and MMcG decided to preride the 24 Hr course today , and KTMSX decided to join us. so the 4 of us ventured into the course and trying to follow it at some points was a challenge . But any way

Here is IAB on one of teh many bridges.

IAB going through a field of lovely rag weed ( Oh my alergies just love seeing that stuff! :eek: )

Ktmsx on a downhill onto a bridge ( with IAB behind him)

ktmsx going through one of the many mud/water crossings .

MMcG JRA

this is not part of the course , I think it used to be , but now there is a chunck of trail missing ,

While we and another group were trying to find the trail , there were several people who helped , first was the guy who made the trail , we followed him on his quad. that was tough . then we got to antoher point and were a little puzzeled so this guy on a Y bike showed us some of the trial

Important this is what the "facilities" look like

IAB throug more water Mud

MMcG through a tough Mud hole

and there were some other trail users helping to pack down the trail.

MMcG on a Nice down hill bridge.

KTSMX going through an area that was just recently logged

and finally MMcG and Ktsmx going next to the Pond

I now need to down load the GPS track of the course.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I'm glad we pre-rode the course so I know what to expect. The course is more technical that I thought it would be. It's a very typical New England ride...lots of rocks, roots and mud. It's not a very long loop (five miles), but it doesn't let up. You are constantly pedaling and turning. There is only one section that is a tough climb, and it's not even that long. It's very rideable, but it will hurt your legs after you've done a few laps and are tired. Hopefully the course will be better marked next weekend, especially in the areas around the campground. We didn't know where we were supposed to be riding a couple of times.

We did two laps. The first one was very slow and we took our time checking things out and playing. The second lap we went a little faster, but still stopped a bunch of times. We did that 2nd lap in 50 minutes. I am guessing my lap times will be in the low 40/high 30 range.

BTW, the campground has a small convenience store on the premises, which will come in very handy I'm sure. :)

Edit: Doug, I did like the course.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Splat through a water crossing.

Lots of bridges on this course, although they could use a few more.

We'll see how much he's smiling after his 10th lap. :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Splat tackles the only tough climb of the course. The climb goes all the way to the back of the pic, although it doesn't look all that bad in this picture (you can see kmtsx far in the background).

top of the climb.

Here is a section of logs, sticks and twigs. You are getting close to the end at this point. There was another four man team there pre-riding. That's them in the far background.

Splat, then kmtsx heading past the pond, wrapping up a loop.

splat

Nam I am
Splat through a water crossing.

Iff you look to the right side of that photo, there is a Pile of Fresh Cut lumber , looked like they weregoing to be building a bridge for this water hole.

also Look at my Helmet! Talk about stupid! I got to ashford and relized I forgot my Helmet , the people at teh convience store , had a Couple of rollerblade Helment for sale. By the amount of dust on them they have been ther a Looooong time , they let me borrow one of them for this.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Oh, and THANKS for doing this and providing the details, pics, etc.. I'll be there Fri., but none of my other guys will have a chance to pre-ride, so this helps!! :)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I am a little nervous about doing the le mans start.

FYI, as you get off the highway and hit the backroads, there are two small liquor stores that you'll pass. :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Good Times yesterday. I'll take that one climb on this course any day over that long assed Dalton climb. I suspect that more work will be done on the course during the week, and I think it is supposed to be dry all week long as well so that will help.

My big task this week is to somehow get the wobble out of my rear wheel! :mumble:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mark, you were kicking butt yesterday! I have little doubt you'll be throwing down some good lap times. :)

BTW, there are a lot of spots where the course crosses right past the campground and you'll be able to see the riders on the course (unlike Dalton, where you were pretty much limited to the over/under area). That said, there will be LOTS of places where pictures can be taken. :)

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
That is a nice loop they have set up it will be in good shape by next weekend...It was good to meet and ride with you guys, dammm I have to get in better shape...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
That is a nice loop they have set up it will be in good shape by next weekend...It was good to meet and ride with you guys, dammm I have to get in better shape...
Nice meeting you and riding with you too. You rode great. Just keep riding every chance you get and you'll get in shape in no time.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Hmmm...anyone got a small bike for me to ride ;)

Actually, I was thinking about throwing gears on my SS. OR, is the course something I would be able to SS a lap on while my racer gets fixed?
T - if you are serious, I can bring Liam's 14" Kona Hahanna with me. 8 speed drivetrain - XTR VBrakes, Sid Fork up front. Fun bike!

Also, I think you could SS a lap or two no problemo.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
T - if you are serious, I can bring Liam's 14" Kona Hahanna with me. 8 speed drivetrain - XTR VBrakes, Sid Fork up front. Fun bike!

Also, I think you could SS a lap or two no problemo.
Liam's got a rockin' bike there! I am going to bring the SS and see what happens. Hopefully I won't need to ride it (until my last lap) but we'll see. Are the boys going to be joining you this year?