Quantcast

50 years later - the Race debate

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Well, I dunno how much of a debate it will be...we're all so well trained to be politically correct that I honestly don't know many people capable of being honest even with themselves on this issue.

There's an article on MSN today that's really well written. It's long, so I'm just gonna hot link it: Click Here
But it's worth the read.

I find it interesting that the article asserts America is "resegregating".

Do you think that doing away with Affirmative Action will cause us to naturally re-segregate itself? Do you think this is already happening? Or do you think this is just a symptom of an ever widening gap between rich and poor?

I grew up in a solid lower-middle-income area...the 'burbs if you will. My HS racial makeup was really mixed, and not predominantly white. And, to be honest, usually students were far more cautious around the hot-headed white boys who were getting mixed up in "drugs" and "gangs" then around the rest of the students (though there were always others of all races mixed up in the bad chit...they just seemed to be more capable of leaving it outside the school buildings). I know we are all raised with certain perceptions of things that we don't even necessarily speak about. I love my parents to death, but even they have periodically said things, almost unconsciously, that made me wonder...and as I get older, I wonder at myself too...

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by LordOpie
what's wrong with voluntary segregation?
Doesn't it eventually take us back to square one...of teaching hatred and teaching our children to dislike people based upon the color of their skin and their appearance and not based upon who that person is...?

I mean, I was always raised that you don't judge a book by its cover, and you should be ashamed of yourself if you pass judgement on another human being period. Voluntary segregation seems to me to be a symptom of some ingrained hatred/prejudice that we're supposed to be evolving beyond. We're all just people of varying shades of brown and pink...

Now, I'm anti-Affirmative Action - because to me it indicates a forcing that isn't natural. People should be taught equally from day one, it shouldn't be a color issue, if anything a financial issue or a class issue. But voluntary segregation? To me that just screams "racist bastard"...but that could be my west coast liberal ass talking ;)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
Doesn't it eventually take us back to square one...of teaching hatred and teaching our children to dislike people based upon the color of their skin and their appearance and not based upon who that person is...?
dunno about that, but i do suspect that too much segregation would lead to the eventual destruction of the diverse cultures in the world and I'd rather have a little hate than a homogenous world.

Now, I'm anti-Affirmative Action - because to me it indicates a forcing that isn't natural.
I'm fine with affrimative action, just not in important positions like emergency services.

But voluntary segregation? To me that just screams "racist bastard"...but that could be my west coast liberal ass talking ;)
yup, liberal ass. There's a difference between being proud of who you are and/or being comfortable with your own people =and= hating others.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I'm kind of hoping you said all the below just to troll....a lot of it indicates an attitude very contrary to everything I've been brought up to believe about people in general.

dunno about that, but i do suspect that too much segregation would lead to the eventual destruction of the diverse cultures in the world and I'd rather have a little hate than a homogenous world.
This statement seems contradictory. Please help me clarify it. So you agree that if we can all play nice and go to school/church/restaurants together it actually helps promote a better understanding of different cultures and breeds respect for our families' cultures/heritage while still celebrating who we are as a nation...a blending or a mix of many cultures. If that be the case, then we are in agreement.

I'm fine with affrimative action, just not in important positions like emergency services.
I don't think we should use the color of skin to be a determining factor to "fill a number". I can't possibly imagine how any human can hold their head up and be proud of the job or place in a university if it is attained solely as a result of the color of your skin. I don't believe in birthrights of any kind. You work your way and you earn your way. The only folks that might need a leg up are those that come from lower-income areas...no matter the color of their skin.

yup, liberal ass. There's a difference between being proud of who you are and/or being comfortable with your own people =and= hating others.
In what way does sharing a school teach one to not be proud/comfortable of your own heritage? If anything it should teach people to respect one another and their heritage. I don't believe in tiptoeing around the past, but I also disagree with the idea that if we all just "live apart" it solves anything. It just promotes feuds and anger, and nasty people like the Nazis. It's like saying it's okay to not have to live in harmony with your neighborrs, and that's a load of BS.
Learn to respect your heritage, and learn that your heritage is not the only one in the world. It's not the best or the worst, it stands alone like everyone elses does.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm kind of hoping you said all the below just to troll....a lot of it indicates an attitude very contrary to everything I've been brought up to believe about people in general.
You're posting and quoting method confuses me, but I'll try and I'm not sure how you were brought up, so I can't comment.

But I wasn't trolling and am afraid of a homogenous world. I'd rather people die of hate everyday than be forced to live with everyone thinking and acting just like me or you or stinkle or anyone.

Voluntary segregation doesn't mean ZERO interaction. Take Miami for instance, there's whole communities of a specific group and there are several different groups there. They live with their own, but there's still interaction between the communities. I'm juggling working and posting, so I'm probably not making much sense.

This statement seems contradictory.
well, I agree that affirmative action should be financially based, but the current system is better than none. Is that what you were asking about? You go off on tangents and confuse me.

In what way does sharing a school teach one to not be proud/comfortable of your own heritage? If anything it should teach people to respect one another and their heritage. I don't believe in tiptoeing around the past, but I also disagree with the idea that if we all just "live apart" it solves anything. It just promotes feuds and anger, and nasty people like the Nazis. It's like saying it's okay to not have to live in harmony with your neighborrs, and that's a load of BS.
Learn to respect your heritage, and learn that your heritage is not the only one in the world. It's not the best or the worst, it stands alone like everyone elses does.
sorry, can't give too much time now cuz of work, but consider it this way... forced integration is a bad idea. Forcing integration or forcing segregation doesn't work in the end.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Now, I'm anti-Affirmative Action - because to me it indicates a forcing that isn't natural. People should be taught equally from day one, it shouldn't be a color issue, if anything a financial issue or a class issue.

So it's ok to discriminate then on the basis of financial or class status?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Resegregation does not bother me in the slightest so long as it occurs naturally. I could care less about things like "diversity in the workplace (im f***ing there to work)" or the sharing of cultures. IMO, what's killing culture is the desegregation. Seems everyone is just supposed to take on this culture of love and niceness, which may be fine for some, but its not everyone's original culture. Its just something thats pushed on us from the beginning.
Affirmative action is racism in action. By definition.
Now, I question myself alot when it comes down to being accepting of everyone. I sometimes catch myself having preconcieved notions and i used to think i was racist a bit because of this, but really it was just reaction to my surroundings. If i like someone fine, they can be turquoise and i dont care. If i dont like you, and i hit you, rest assured its a hate crime, but it doesnt have anything to do with your skin color. You're probably just an idiot.

Im all for descrimination against idiots.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by Velocity Girl
So it's ok to discriminate then on the basis of financial or class status?
No not discriminate...perhaps I misspoke. If we must have an affirmative action where we are, essentially, saying it's okay to discriminate against those who have a greater degree of priviledge than others then I personally feel that it should be on something more tangible than a person's skin color or status as a minority. There are many white kids in HS that are in lower-income areas who will not have the ability to attend a university because they don't qualify under affirmative action for a lot of scholarships etc etc.

I tend to think that merit-based acceptance is the best judge. Those that have earned their position should receive it, and skin color should not enter into the equation.

But if we must have affirmative action where we are attempting to give those that have less opportunities in life as a result of their upbringing, then we should be looking at things like financial status and not skin color. If the numbers still skew towards favoring minorities, then so be it, but skin color or minority status should not be the basis for giving people "special treatment".

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
If the numbers still skew towards favoring minorities, then so be it, but skin color or minority status should not be the basis for giving people "special treatment".
Uh...so you're saying its ok to discriminate on the financial basis or class status.:p

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
So...y'all think it's okay to resegregate public schools? I guess I'm just confused on this issue. I mean, I got sick and tired of being turned down for scholarships as a kid because I wasn't a minority, and most of us got tired of the constant lectures on "respecting one another" in HS/Jr HS.

But I would never have thought it okay to segregate a public school.

Somehow my post turned into an argument about Affirmative Action...that's my own meandering thoughts' fault. I apologize.

To separate - Affirmative Action...by itself is an outdated idea that was created with good intentions but in practice lends itself to bitter individuals who dislike the idea of someone being turned down even if they have higher qualifications than someone of minority status. It needs to be either stopped completely or taken down and redesigned into something that is not race based and does not prevent individuals who have higher qualifications from earning their job. As always I feel that the best way to tackle adult problems is to focus our energies on the kiddos.

Resegregation of public schools doesn't help society learn to get along better. We have to be able to grow up and work in the same world, what does it teach kids if you pull them out and put them into separate schools so they can "feel more comfortable" and feel "proud of their heritage". I do think that public schools may need a lesson in how to teach kids to be proud of their history, but I never thought of it as a "melting pot" where your roots disappeared and became valueless. You should gain value in where you come from through your family...it shouldn't need to be reinforced through separation from others.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So...y'all think it's okay to resegregate public schools?
:rolleyes:

Let nature run the system. The schools should serve the neighborhood, not a political agenda. Don't bus kids.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
No not discriminate...perhaps I misspoke. If we must have an affirmative action where we are, essentially, saying it's okay to discriminate against those who have a greater degree of priviledge than others then I personally feel that it should be on something more tangible than a person's skin color or status as a minority. There are many white kids in HS that are in lower-income areas who will not have the ability to attend a university because they don't qualify under affirmative action for a lot of scholarships etc etc.

I tend to think that merit-based acceptance is the best judge. Those that have earned their position should receive it, and skin color should not enter into the equation.

But if we must have affirmative action where we are attempting to give those that have less opportunities in life as a result of their upbringing, then we should be looking at things like financial status and not skin color. If the numbers still skew towards favoring minorities, then so be it, but skin color or minority status should not be the basis for giving people "special treatment".
But why should financial status be anymore of a factor than skin color? It's merely trading one bad situation for the other. If one is wrong, why shouldn't the other be so also? I met quite a few people in college that came from "well-to-do" backgrounds but mommy and daddy wouldn't foot the bill so they were up to their eyeballs in student loans. Why should they not have the same chance at scholarships as the next kid?

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by Velocity Girl
But why should financial status be anymore of a factor than skin color? It's merely trading one bad situation for the other. If one is wrong, why shouldn't the other be so also? I met quite a few people in college that came from "well-to-do" backgrounds but mommy and daddy wouldn't foot the bill so they were up to their eyeballs in student loans. Why should they not have the same chance at scholarships as the next kid?
You're right, a lot of the kids I went to school with were also chalking up the student loans, as were the minorities who got accepted on a quota system but weren't given financial support. But poor students or students from lower-income areas rarely get accepted for so many student loans without mommy and daddy's signature. 99% of the reason I'm still in school today is because my parents could not co-sign a loan for me to continue on in school. 75% of my tuition was covered by scholarships, but that still left me with several thousand dollars annually that I couldn't earn through jobs. The primary reason was because I was from a lower-income family that had no credit to co-sign loans.

I'm not saying it's okay to discriminate based on financials, but I am saying that if we MUST discriminate, if the folks out there who scream and yell about underpriviledged children not getting their rightful opportunity to a good education because of the neighborhood they grew up in and thus of course can't compete with those who received a better education in a better neighborhood out vote or have more pull than those folks who believe it should only be based upon merit, then at least change the determining factor to actually Prove they came from an underpriviledged background...thus by looking at financials and not skin color.
Plenty of kids that are minorities come from wealthy backgrounds, but they are given more weight in college admissions because of their ethnic backgrounds than other kids who are not of minority status who may have equal or better "scores" and may financially have greater need to be admitted or to earn a scholarship.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm not saying it's okay to discriminate based on financials, but I am saying that if we MUST discriminate, if the folks out there who scream and yell about underpriviledged children not getting their rightful opportunity to a good education because of the neighborhood they grew up in and thus of course can't compete with those who received a better education in a better neighborhood out vote or have more pull than those folks who believe it should only be based upon merit, then at least change the determining factor to actually Prove they came from an underpriviledged background...thus by looking at financials and not skin color.
Plenty of kids that are minorities come from wealthy backgrounds, but they are given more weight in college admissions because of their ethnic backgrounds than other kids who are not of minority status who may have equal or better "scores" and may financially have greater need to be admitted or to earn a scholarship.
good points, but you're derailing your own thread. :D

this article, as far as i'm concerned, was all fluff and no substance. and, also, in my experience college was a much more segregated experience than high school. this should be surprising since my high school was lily white (while i am not :eek: ) while my liberal ivy league college had much paper diversity but in reality had strong racial cliques. :rolleyes:

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by Toshi
good points, but you're derailing your own thread. :D
:D So true...so true...I wasn't exactly composing my rambling thoughts logically yesterday ;) (not that today will be any better)
this article, as far as i'm concerned, was all fluff and no substance. and, also, in my experience college was a much more segregated experience than high school. this should be surprising since my high school was lily white (while i am not :eek: ) while my liberal ivy league college had much paper diversity but in reality had strong racial cliques. :rolleyes:
A lot of it was fluff, what I found interesting about it was the assertion that public schools, so K-12, are resegregating. There was no indication that it was natural or not, but unlike L.O. I don't see anything wrong with simply making one school that all kids in the area attend. I don't know why that's "forced integration" unless you have serious issues with people of other races. I think mentally I'm hitting a wall here, because I don't understand the issue that says it's okay to purposely separate ourselves from each other. I'd rather kids learn to get along and respect each others' cultures than think it's okay to not.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
:rolleyes: why are you being stupid?
:rolleyes: why are you being mean?

It's a fair and valid opinion to think there's no reason we can't teach kids to get along and get past skin color as a reason to not.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Afro Eurasian Eclipse.

Check out the study... not the DUke Ellington Album (well, yeah, check that out too, but its less applicable). Basically it makes a strong point in saying that over time our (the worlds) various cultures and races are mixing at an exponential rate and after a long enough time all race and culture will be almost completely meshed and no one will be albe to care... granted this will take a long time, but look at it now as compared to 50 years ago and you will see a massive difference that supports the afro eurasian eclipse.

Anyway, my answer is no, at least not for long anyway.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
My college is SO WHITE! But they are hippies so it's okay.

The entire issue of equality and race is best left to discussion in person or in those boring papers for poly-sci classes.

I have no common sense and will instead jump in the fray here.

Affirmative action was effective in jump starting the de-segregation of our nation on a govermental level. Sure we bussed kids but they still lived in their black neighborhoods.

In my area it' s the damn mexicans.:rolleyes:

We as a people tend to group by race or economic class.

So really whats the deal? People will group, some people will be racist and the government will tinker with laws to atempt balance.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
:rolleyes: why are you being mean?

It's a fair and valid opinion to think there's no reason we can't teach kids to get along and get past skin color as a reason to not.
me being mean? You called me a racist.

See the post right after yours by Zod where he quoted me.

If you're not gonna bother to pay attention, at least be conscious of serious insults.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
Afro Eurasian Eclipse.

Check out the study... not the DUke Ellington Album (well, yeah, check that out too, but its less applicable). Basically it makes a strong point in saying that over time our (the worlds) various cultures and races are mixing at an exponential rate and after a long enough time all race and culture will be almost completely meshed and no one will be albe to care... granted this will take a long time, but look at it now as compared to 50 years ago and you will see a massive difference that supports the afro eurasian eclipse.

Anyway, my answer is no, at least not for long anyway.
DE kicks ass! I love jazz.

As for the rest of your post, I'm afraid of that :angry: I'll say it again, I'd rather people die from hate crimes than live in a world where everyone is the same. yes, yes, I'd rather find a happy balance.

Originally posted by ummbikes
It's the damn jews in my neighborhood that's the problem!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Originally posted by ummbikes
People will group, some people will be racist and the government will tinker with laws to atempt balance.
was that an "off-color" joke?

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
me being mean? You called me a racist.

See the post right after yours by Zod where he quoted me.

If you're not gonna bother to pay attention, at least be conscious of serious insults.
:eek: boy I really stuck my foot in my mouth yesterday didn't I? I just went back through and read everything, so I hope you'll accept my apologies if that's how what I said, read.

I saw your statement that said:
(I'm quoting from memory so not exact) you'd rather have hate than a homogenous world.

I read that as you'd rather we all segregated than learn to get along. My apologies for inferring on your statement my own interpretation. :dead: Definitely something far too easily done when reading and responding quickly.

Lemme see if I can maybe clarify - after reviewing everything I think it was more stating the obvious and same thing with a few differences, and the few differences got tensions all wound up and misunderstood.

I don't think at any point "everyone" will be the same, at least not the thoughtful and like-minded people. However, across the world more and more people are changing their cultures and "homogenizing" into a similar culture of the McWorld. We've had that debate on here already, it's a horrible shame that so much of US culture is being exported around the world, but it's a little hard to stop that particular freight train.
There will also always be integrating of cultures, especially here in the US. We have always been and will always be described as a melting pot. The place people come to, to leave their former societies. Eventually, and hopefully, they identify more with being American, than being something else. After all, they are a citizen here, why not be proud of it?

Remembering and celebrating our pasts and our heritage is extremely important, respecting the differences that make us who we are is also extremely important. But unless you want to draw lines throughout the US and segregate people physically into their own "cultural" quadrants where they can only be with people "just like them" you're going to get an integration of cultures and peoples that make the US what it is. Be proud of it, don't knock it.

I'm not suggesting busing in kids of different nationalities to particular schools so each school in the US has an equally diverse population...like you, one school per neighborhood. The neighborhood I grew up in was very diverse, as were the schools I attended. I don't see that as something we should change and resegregate kids into their own "cultural" or "racial" divisions. I think turning your back on the community around you to be only with the people who are "like" you leaves a person stunted, not necessarily well rounded, and definitely incapable of dealing with the challenges that come later in life when you meet people that are severely different from you, and have clashes of opinion. It's frustrating, sure, to not get along with to not understand and to have different ideas than other people around you, but if you learn how to respect the differences and not hate or fear the differences, then it's a whole lot easier to come to a mutual understanding and accord - not homogenize, but understand.

So...I don't think you and I are too far from center, but have different ideas of how to get there?

and again...I'm sorry for the implied insult...I never even saw it/realized it.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
My working definitions:

Prejudiced- Affected, consciously or otherwise, by preconceived notions about a particular grouping of people.

Racist- Prejudiced in an active, purposeful or systematic fashion.

I consider myself prejudiced but not racist. Why? Because I recognize that I associate certain feelings towards different groups of people unconsciously before I really know anything about them as individuals. All my life, I have struggled against racism and it has been a journey of surprises. I grew up hearing all sorts of racist comments from friends and family alike and to this day, get into arguments with people who use racist language. Two of my best friends coming up were black and I got into more than one fight because of it. My best man when I got married was black...and still is to this day.;)

That doesn't mean that I am not prejudiced, though. When I see a repair that has been poorly made, I hear the words "ni__er-rigged" ringing in my subconscious even though I have never used the phrase myself. When I see young mixed-race couples walking by, I fight against my autonomic feelings of sympathy for their parents. When I see a group of young latin guys in baggies outside of a 7-11, unflattering scenes from "Colors" flood into my memory. When I made a pizza delivery to known ethnic neighborhoods, I couldn't help assuming beforehand that I'd get stiffed on the tip(as I usually was). When buying a Slurpee from a swarthy fellow, I can't help but hear Apoo's voice cracking jokes from the peanut gallery. And when I flash forward in time to my own daughters' time of dating and such, I just know that my heart would sink if they brought home boys that weren't caucasian...not because the weren't white, but because I know that some people would just as soon kill them both for "race-mixing", and I would fear more for their safety.

It's a real sad thing to recognize that you have such feelings when you have worked so hard to be rid of them and don't ever act upon them. I have never used any epithets towards any racial or religious group, have never discriminated against anyone due to such classifications and make it a point to correct anyone I hear doing so. Nonetheless, I am prejudiced and wish I weren't. Whether it be the covert racism in Detroit, MI or the overt racism in Duluth, GA, it is an ugly thing we will never be truly rid of because so many people just do not see it in themselves. :(

Nov 28, 2001
GWN-ON-TO
peanut gallery=>chiming in<=here...

LOpie: "I'd rather the glorious racial and cultural diversity at the cost of universal brotherly love than the alternative - bland milquetoast uni-culture that bores me to utter hopeless death"

JBullit: "I'd rather we all got along as friends-we've-yet-to-meet, lovers-who've-yet-to-kiss, extended-clans-unformed than the gaggle of strife-ridden rage-philes."

JLookin'...: "The above are not mutually exclusive options. While humanity has always had a strong 'herd mentality' (think about how much we ridicule those students that don't 'fit in' back in school - and by 'we' i meant the greater diversity that is prevalent society, not necessarily you, me, or any other :monkey: ) that had lead to the US vs THEM conflict, it has also, concurrently, engendered the growth of 'distinctive clique' thinking [secret societies, clubs, softball teams].

So, we like to be different, but we hate to be ostracized.

We like to be with people who think, talk and look like us, but we're also interested in the exotic, the new, and the different.

This basic conflict in our natures has been around since Grok first picked up a rock and hit Trog on the head because he was the same as Grok, only different.

I like to think that we will achieve a unity of respect with a diversity of thought and beliefs.

That way LOpie can visit a restaurant with a different cuisine every night of the week and get good service (no one spitting on the food) and leaves a decent tip (because he enjoyed himself) an JBullit can take her kids to the most convenient school where they are safely exposed to all the cultures and races her world contains.

I think the verbal scuffle previously between the two of them was mostly based on confusion.

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Nov 28, 2001
GWN-ON-TO
peanut gallery, part deux=>here<=

Affirmative Action.

It's a complicated mess. my observation on the issue is that whenever Big Government makes the decisions for the little guys (you and me) no one can possibly be satisfied.

The intent was to FORCE the break up of a form of Apartheid that was the result of centuries of economic repression. And not just Blacks were oppressed, Irish, Jews, Catholics, Amerinds, Women and Asians were discriminated against.

One of the clubs these 'minorities' were excluded from was something called College. Some of the others were jobs, economic opportunity, health and eventually, length and quality of life.

So, it seemed like a good idea (at the time) but now that is no longer the case.

Jr. B, I think the difficulty in understanding your contention vis-a-vis Affirmative Action is that you state: "If we MUST have this discrimination, then we should take aim at the economically disadvantaged, not follow lines of race, color, religion, etc"

The thing there is that we shouldn't have ANY discrimination.

What you (and I, it appears) desire is what's called a MERITOCRACY, where advancement and reward is purely based on 'merit' - abilities and results.

Smartest girl gets the job. Hardest working guy gets the promotion. wages based on a spreadsheet.

Pure fantasy.

Admittedly, if there were some sort of cosmic law that demands that one (1) identifiable group MUST be promoted over all others, then it can be defended (i guess) that the poor need the boost vs. everyone else.

Personally, if i had to pick a group to promote over others based solely on the membership to that group, it would be People Born in August because that's when i was born.

having literally grown up on the wrong side of the tracks, i would vote for aiding the poor - but the fact is, aside from giving them decent, minimal and free medical support and safe, affordable housing (or access to it) i think giving money to poor people only keeps them poor.

I should know.

To sum up: You and I and millions of others know that Affirmative Action has passed it's freshness date and needs to be dismantled. When this will happen is anyone's guess.