Quantcast

650b coming sooner than we think?

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
I feel there are some misunderstandings.

Well, dh, ds, dj are minor shares of cycle market. If we consumers expect those companies to lose Money because we want such things as minority Group. Well it is not sustainable economy, they have to either innovate or bankrupt.

It seems unfair yeah, but we live, adapt or die.

26" category is not dead because it is still metal, rubber. It holds some more years. If some say "26 is dead", then are they to blame for that? We'd save some Money going 650b instead or rely remaining stock of 26" tires for coming years. Personally, I dont Believe that within a few years, it will be NO available tire of decent quality as Maxxis. Limited choice yes.

I'd love to try front 650b on 26" enduro/trail bike as Lelandjit seem have tried.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I feel there are some misunderstandings.

Well, dh, ds, dj are minor shares of cycle market. If we consumers expect those companies to lose Money because we want such things as minority Group. Well it is not sustainable economy, they have to either innovate or bankrupt.

It seems unfair yeah, but we live, adapt or die.

26" category is not dead because it is still metal, rubber. It holds some more years. If some say "26 is dead", then are they to blame for that? We'd save some Money going 650b instead or rely remaining stock of 26" tires for coming years. Personally, I dont Believe that within a few years, it will be NO available tire of decent quality as Maxxis. Limited choice yes.

I'd love to try front 650b on 26" enduro/trail bike as Lelandjit seem have tried.
Switching tech is more expensive than staying with what you got. To be honest I don't really feel the need for new shiny parts as long as I can replace the ones I have.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Switching tech is more expensive than staying with what you got. To be honest I don't really feel the need for new shiny parts as long as I can replace the ones I have.
Me neither. But most parts can hold like ten or even twenty years :-) We downhillers don't have purchasing power enough to affect company product management decisions. Of course , they exist because they sell enough load of new shiny parts. It is called consumption without difference for either replacing or buying new.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Me neither. But most parts can hold like ten or even twenty years :-) We downhillers don't have purchasing power enough to affect company product management decisions. Of course , they exist because they sell enough load of new shiny parts. It is called consumption without difference for either replacing or buying new.
10-20 years? Are you from the future? Even my XC bike doesn't live as long when used. Same for road.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
10-20 years? Are you from the future? Even my XC bike doesn't live ras long when used. Same for road.
Ok wait and see how carbon parts hold :-) We all don't worn the bikes down anyway. Just one part of group. If one falls on mark often in xc bike, well it's bad for him.

I dont not even talked about race conditions, rather what it makes most profit for example city bikes.

Do cars go apart in pieces after twenty years? Come on.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
By the time your car is 20 years old you will spend A LOT on replacing different parts. Also bikes break more often. I have a 10 year old trailbike. You know what's 10 year old on it? The frame and the pedals. That's all. The rest was broken or it was risky to use it (cockpit) and I'm 70-75kg, was 60-65 and In the last 5 years the bike didn't get that many miles put into it. You don't have to fall to wear your bike down.
Not to mention most users are way more careless with their bikes, they don't maintain them properly so that's probably even harder for the bike.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
I would love check hard facts how much procents of profits bike industry earns on only replacement parts versus new. I don't think that it is enough that they stop innovate and live on replacement parts instead.

We all break parts yeah but at varying rate. I've seen plenty of city bikes, they have no suspension and take abuse. Some are over forty years old including my military bike.

If one wear parts constant then one gets value out of its life and buys new. What is difference buying new or replacement part. As frame or wheels.

I would love to ask Keith banshee designer how he thinks of life expectancy when he builds frame. Only three years or maybe ten years? It's hard to find a scientific calculation model there bike part can be measured on identical riding conditions before they got trashed.

I think my post is gone off topic.

Btw cars still go with replacement parts. Not got apart to two pieces. It's the point of pointing out metal, rubber properties. I literally asked if it even got break to two pieces apart not like worn out.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I would love check hard facts how much procents of profits bike industry earns on only replacement parts versus new. I don't think that it is enough that they stop innovate and live on replacement parts instead.

We all break parts yeah but at varying rate. I've seen plenty of city bikes, they have no suspension and take abuse. Some are over forty years old including my military bike.

If one wear parts constant then one gets value out of its life and buys new. What is difference buying new or replacement part. As frame or wheels.

I would love to ask Keith banshee designer how he thinks of life expectancy when he builds frame. Only three years or maybe ten years? It's hard to find a scientific calculation model there bike part can be measured on identical riding conditions before they got trashed.

I think my post is gone off topic.

Btw cars still go with replacement parts. Not got apart to two pieces. It's the point of pointing out metal, rubber properties. I literally asked if it even got break to two pieces apart not like worn out.

Replacement parts are new parts. And yes there is more money in innovation because then people change their whole bikes every 2-3 years. Not only the few parts that broke. My legend sees very little part change.

As for city bikes - the wheels, tires, chains, chainrings/casettes still get worn out. Yes the frame will stay together but they are idioticly heavy so what are you expecting?

btw. Cars go with replacement parts but the parts need to be replaced. And even well maintained cars after 20 years are not in perfect condition. Far from it.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I know Mickey personally, and it was a 1/2 joke referring to his overjealousness when it comes to bikes and his opinions on the matter.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
@Suspect Device - I think a 650 slalom bike would rule the flat corners. Drifting the flat corners is what I like the most about those wheels.
Flat corners are for these things- and a good set of end snips!

Jay at EWR and I talk about it all of the time- it'd be sweet, but I already suck enough at riding around berms to gain any time on the flat stuff.
Besides! I'm no rich man and flat corners are for cut mud spikes and I have a huge stash of the freaking things in 26" and a set of 26" enve wheels. I'm a poor man.

The pump-track style slalom tracks that predominate right now kinda suck. People have been medaling at National Championships the last few years on singlespeeds with park tires...

My favorite thing to do on my 650b bike is seat-bounce drifts on pine-needle lined singletrack.
It's pretty funny that you can take geometry off of a 1995 Yo Eddy! and wedge bigger wheels on it and have lots of fun without smashing your face into the ground as much.

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
As far as I know, no one makes a 20inch for the mountains with disc brakes and 8 inches of travel.
You tell 'em! It's not like anyone rides a 26" hardtail with minimal front suspension and only a rear brake at the skate park or at the trails.

Just because his challenge to your (lame)comment flew right over your head doesn't make him an idiot.

Last edited:

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Flat corners are for these things- and a good set of end snips!

Jay at EWR and I talk about it all of the time- it'd be sweet, but I already suck enough at riding around berms to gain any time on the flat stuff.
Besides! I'm no rich man and flat corners are for cut mud spikes and I have a huge stash of the freaking things in 26" and a set of 26" enve wheels. I'm a poor man.

The pump-track style slalom tracks that predominate right now kinda suck. People have been medaling at National Championships the last few years on singlespeeds with park tires...

My favorite thing to do on my 650b bike is seat-bounce drifts on pine-needle lined singletrack.
It's pretty funny that you can take geometry off of a 1995 Yo Eddy! and wedge bigger wheels on it and have lots of fun without smashing your face into the ground as much.
So, Jay says that I should shove some 27.5s on my 97 EWR Woods and have fun? Oh, right... the 15.9" chainstays might make things a liiiiiiiiiiitle bit tight.... ;-)

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
You tell 'em! It's not like anyone rides a 26" hardtail with minimal front suspension and only a rear brake at the skate park or at the trails.

Just because his challenge to your (lame)comment flew right over your head doesn't make him an idiot.

Is it just me or is this a thread about 650b in the DH section? Who ever said anything about hard tails and street/park riding? Smh

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
imagine the facepalms from any tire mfr who decided to make rain spikes in the last couple years. probably sold dozen of em
So you are saying rain is old fashioned and will be replaced with sunny, dry weather? Now we are talking....! :weee: :D

The above mentioned manufacturers probably made a fortune if they sold their products in Europe. Not many dry races here. More often than not people are on spikes or cut spikes.