Quantcast

661 Race vs. Fox Launch

Nov 16, 2007
I curently run a 661 Pressure Suit which is a few years older (it may have had a different name at the time) which is solid black with a Lycra like material which is VERY hot during the summer.

I was thinking of switching to the new 661 Assault Pressure Suite and an Elbow pad set-up which I think will offer the same protection but be more versatile and much cooler...any input?
Does anyone run the 661 Assault Pressure Suite? How do you like it?

Also, what do you think of the 661 Race vs. Fox Launch Elbow & Knee/Shin guards?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
the fox launch is significantly better than the 661 race. Especially if you are taller. The 661's just aren't long enough. However, the straps on the Fox leg armor is made for the morbidly obese, so prepare to shorten it somehow.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Hey, who you callin morbidly?! :p

I'm a fan of the 661 Race and Race Lites. I can pedal much easier with them on compared to the Launch. I have a pair of the Launch knee/shins. They're fine early on, but after about a year of use, the spiffy side clasps seem to wear out. I've had many a crash with them only to have one or two or all of the clasps come undone after the first hit.

cneums

Monkey
Jul 9, 2009
Maryland, USA
i'm gonna agree with ultranoob here, having worn both for extended dh-ing. i'm going with the race. the race, in my opinion, is just simply more comfortable, easier to pedal with, fits me more snugly and securely, and the velcro is very strong. it also covers from the top of my kneecap down to right above my shoes, so i have no problems with coverage. overall, compared to the launch, the race just simply does everything better, and has lasted longer, so far. go race :thumb:

edit: about the pressure suit. i find that the 661 core saver, or similar core protection from dainese allows for better cooling and movement when paired with the evo elbows. plus, i rarely impact on the upper parts of my forearm, so i feel like those pads are unnecessary.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm gonna agree with DHidiot. Being that I'm NOT morbidly obese, my launch pads twist left and right.

OB1

Monkey
Grab the Launchers if you want knee shin wear that actually protects dem knees in a crash. The 661's fold downward in a crash like most other combos. Then go rob a bank and buy some Dainese race jacket armor. I hated my 661 armor. Made my chest hotter than the sun. (....that was 6 years ago...I hear newer 661 armor has improved) I've run Dainese for years now. Good luck!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Launch knee/shins (for me, at least) tend to rub at the ankle just below the shin. Good if you aren't pedaling much at all or don't get much dirt under your pads. Otherwise, they tended to rub my ankles raw. Just got the Race Lights and went (unexpectedly) on a very pedally ride in the heat. No problems whatsoever and the coverage is just right. I'm sure they'll protect me well as the shells cover all the areas on my legs with scars! Troy Lee makes a similar type guard.

I got the Assault pressure suit (661) earlier this year and have had the opportunity to use it for its intended purpose. Works great and doesn't restrict me. One of my larger (linebacker sized) teammates has the same suit and doesn't like it for racing. I'm 5'10" and weigh 145lbs.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The 661 Pro Pressure suit is very comfortable.
As for leg armor I tried the Fox and 661 and found the 661s more comfortable. They are also available in 3 sizes as opposed to 2 for Fox.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I have both, and the Foxes are far superior. I've recently switched to 661 Kyle Straits though, and am so far surviving without the shin protection, and they're WAY more comfortable. What sucked about the Fox is that there's not much padding on the back of them, so if you have an existing injury on your knee or shin they're pretty uncomfortable. Also although they didn't slip as much (or at all) compared to the 661 Race, I did find that in a crash they'd move, certainly more than my new 661 KSs do.

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
I'm running Launch knee/shin guards and am very happy with them so far. The fit well, even on my slimmer legs (6', 150 pounds), and I'm running the L/XL. They are super quick on and off. They stay put. They aren't too hot. I also have a pair of the Launch elbow guards, but I haven't felt the need to use them yet. They seemed a little bigger in size, at least in diameter of the sleeve on the guard. I had to go down to the S/M size to feel like they would stay put. The velcro straps on the L/XL elbow guards seemed really long. They would definitely need some modifaication to fit someone on the thinner side.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Launch knee/shins (for me, at least) tend to rub at the ankle just below the shin.
I had the same problem. Using the 661 race and no probs with rubbing so far. The quality of the 661 gear leaves more to be desired, but the comfort is far superior for me. The evo elbos are nice but they fall apart really fast.