Quantcast

69 Wednesday GMT 96

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I need a copy of my unofficial transcripts for a job application, so I call in to the alma mater. Nothing is quite so flattering as giving the young lad on the other end of the line my last name so he can look up my student ID and responding, "Oh.. you were here a while ago! Huh, I can still find that for yuh..." :twitch::banghead:
may I suggest a new, perhaps more age appropriate avatar? :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I need a copy of my unofficial transcripts for a job application, so I call in to the alma mater. Nothing is quite so flattering as giving the young lad on the other end of the line my last name so he can look up my student ID and responding, "Oh.. you were here a while ago! Huh, I can still find that for yuh..." :twitch::banghead:
I recently had to do that for a background check. It was funny looking at grades for classes I had absolutely no recollection of taking. It didn't help that my attendance was usually rather sparse.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The response should be "oh, they haven't taught you tact yet! that must be a more advanced class now."

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
so if we aren't able to get a solid idea on the deck and cracks in the foundation (appt is tomorrow), we're out
Oh, so the bad deck is/was on the house you are bidding on, not the current one you have?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
One of the hidden dangers of having children is that you don't realize that you're going to be doing homework again....I mean, you know your kid is going to school, yes...and you know homework is part of that.....but you never are really ever prepared to get home after a long day of not getting fired, and then have to dive into reducing fractions for an hour...:stosh:

I haven't been on RM much lately but this has got to be one of the greatest quotes ever.... OR.... I just going through the exact same thing right now so it's particularly poignant.

In fact my office just changes it's hours from 8-5 to 7-3 every day which now allows me to get my kids from school. Which is amazing and it makes it easier for both my wife and I on a daily basis. However now I have to be home right from work so no "grabbing a quick haircut" or "swinging into Home Depot" on my way home. Now I have to rush to the school to sit in the cafeteria with a bunch of hens squawking so I can rush the kids home and then have NO IDEA how to help my daughters with their common core math problems.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
...and then have NO IDEA how to help my daughters with their common core math problems.
I got my CS degree, but I had to youtube a bunch of my daughters basic math back when I was trying to help. :panic:

I wish I could throat punch every math teacher that ever told me I would use Algebra while adulting.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I got my CS degree, but I had to youtube a bunch of my daughters basic math back when I was trying to help. :panic:

I wish I could throat punch every math teacher that ever told me I would use Algebra while adulting.
i use alg, trig, and more statistics than i learned in college.

also, common core = kill list

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Next time ask him if it hurts to sit for that long wearing his sister's jeans.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i use alg, trig, and more statistics than i learned in college.

also, common core = kill list

I don't even do real engineering work anymore and still manage to use a lot of math at work, from algebra to basic calculus. I even busted out some linear algebra the other day.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I haven't been on RM much lately but this has got to be one of the greatest quotes ever.... OR.... I just going through the exact same thing right now so it's particularly poignant.

In fact my office just changes it's hours from 8-5 to 7-3 every day which now allows me to get my kids from school. Which is amazing and it makes it easier for both my wife and I on a daily basis. However now I have to be home right from work so no "grabbing a quick haircut" or "swinging into Home Depot" on my way home. Now I have to rush to the school to sit in the cafeteria with a bunch of hens squawking so I can rush the kids home and then have NO IDEA how to help my daughters with their common core math problems.
The pick up thing!!! Good LORD! With traffic as it is, my husband works further away from home than I ever have been able to. Daycare runs 7:30-5:30. It takes 20 mins to get to town on a good day with traffic. Hubby has never understood what a drain and constraint this is. It is also why I haven't found a job yet. I can't find anything within pickup distance.

This is the last year of daycare, so that seems like there would be flexibility next year, but then... I'm not quite sure how much time unrestricted at home a middle schooler should have... there will be a whole new can of worms to open there, I imagine.

I thought he fixed the busted deck on the current place after they bought it. Sounds like he has a thing for houses with busted ass decks.
Hey--I'm working on the deck right now! And I need a job! Wanna fly me out and pay me to do the work?! :brows:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Looks like it's also ride night for some others here at work. Colleague has a carbon Tallboy and 5010 on his roof. Engage monocle drive.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Oh, so the bad deck is/was on the house you are bidding on, not the current one you have?
Our stuff is fine. I maintain the hell out of our house. I've put in reinforcements and braced the railings multiple times. Stained every 2 years and pound in nails as they work loose. That thing is dialed.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The pick up thing!!! Good LORD! With traffic as it is, my husband works further away from home than I ever have been able to. Daycare runs 7:30-5:30. It takes 20 mins to get to town on a good day with traffic. Hubby has never understood what a drain and constraint this is. It is also why I haven't found a job yet. I can't find anything within pickup distance.

This is the last year of daycare, so that seems like there would be flexibility next year, but then... I'm not quite sure how much time unrestricted at home a middle schooler should have... there will be a whole new can of worms to open there, I imagine.
wait a minute... you're not working, and yet you are still paying for daycare?!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Hey--I'm working on the deck right now! And I need a job! Wanna fly me out and pay me to do the work?! :brows:
I've been working on wood gutters lately, and restoring some 80yo windows (initial test batch only, to discover all the ishtiness involved). Before that, I had to redo boards around garage door, and strip and paint the door itself. All that in my spare time when not sitting at work. :dead:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I am alive and happy to report that there are still 22 1st graders and 21 kindergarteners alive and well in our local school districts. Yesterday...1st grade in the 90 degree heat (no AC) and today kindergarten (felt hotter today...more humid I guess, still no AC). I'm having some wine to celebrate!

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
wait a minute... you're not working, and yet you are still paying for daycare?!
Yes, otherwise the child would have to change schools. We are two houses out of the zone for the school, which has a great staff, score in the 90's for the state testings, and he's been there since Kindergarten. The school he is supposed to go to is a high needs school with scores in the 60's and comes with a sketchy reputation. We aren't in the best school district here.

This was a topic of discussion last night. The hope is that I get a job soon. If I pull him out of the daycare now, I could burn a bridge and she could fill his spot. He's in a good class at school with a teacher who seems to get him... It's not an easy decision.

Mommy gotta ride dat bike.
I do :) But I take him to school in the morning (if he doesn't ride in himself), and he's only at daycare for an hour or less before I pick him up. He has to be there a certain number of days/hours a week to stay in the school he is in.

Again.... parenting... :twitch:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I am alive and happy to report that there are still 22 1st graders and 21 kindergarteners alive and well in our local school districts. Yesterday...1st grade in the 90 degree heat (no AC) and today kindergarten (felt hotter today...more humid I guess, still no AC). I'm having some wine to celebrate!
I thought you quit?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Rode this evening before the sunset, 9 technical miles in humid messy heat, it was still 85F outside a few moments ago. Found some rare gems in the beer store - IPA No3 by collective arts brewing, and Daisycutter PA, score.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Rode this evening before the sunset, 9 technical miles in humid messy heat, it was still 85F outside a few moments ago. Found some rare gems in the beer store - IPA No3 by collective arts brewing, and Daisycutter PA, score.
I'm rather underwhelmed by Daisy cutter, and double Daisy. Vallejo is pretty good tho.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
fork "service" complete...interestingly the top of one of my travel thermoses was the perfect fit for the 36 seal driver...all reassembled and passes the garage boing test. will take for neighborhood spin tomorrow to be sure.only annoying part was when the pressure from the syringe adding oil blew the uppers off and I had to re-drain, re-insert and, and (more gently) refill.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Another good post work road ride is in the books (22 miles). Got a later start and 100% of the ride was done in the dark by bike light. I really do enjoy night riding. Tonight i could smell the beginning of the crush out by Concannon and Wente Wineries...sooo nice