Quantcast

7-11 dumps chavez

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
7-11 Drops Venezuela-backed Citgo as a Gas Supplier:

DALLAS (AP) -- Convenience store operator 7-Eleven Inc. is dropping Venezuela-backed Citgo as its gasoline supplier at more than 2,100 locations and switching to its own brand of fuel.

The retailer said Wednesday it will purchase fuel from several distributors, including Tower Energy Group of Torrance, Calif., Sinclair Oil of Salt Lake City, and Houston-based Frontier Oil
Corp.

A spokeswoman for Dallas-based 7-Eleven said its 20-year contract with Citgo Petroleum Corp. ends next week. About 2,100 of 7-Eleven's 5,300 U.S. stores sell gasoline.

Citgo is a Houston-based subsidiary of Venezuela's state-owned oil company, and the foreign parent became a public-relations issue
for 7-Eleven because of comments by Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

Chavez has called President George W. Bush the devil and an alcoholic. The U.S. government has warned that Chavez is a destabilizing force in Latin America.

7-Eleven spokesman Margaret Chabris said that, "Regardless of politics, we sympathize with many Americans' concern over derogatory comments about our country and its leadership recently made by Venezuela's president Hugo Chavez."

Chabris said a boycott of Citgo gasoline would hurt the 4,000 employees of the U.S. subsidiary, who have no connection to Venezuela.

7-Eleven had been considering creating its own brand of fuel since at least early last year. Company officials said at the time they had spoken with independent fuel distributors.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Sounds to me like they were planning to do it anyway, and are just using the current situation to make themselves look like heroes.

I hate everyone.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Sounds to me like they were planning to do it anyway, and are just using the current situation to make themselves look like heroes.

I hate everyone.

The problems with Hugo have been going on for longer than a year.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The problems with Hugo have been going on for longer than a year.
True. The problems with Hugo started about the time we started bombing countries who didn't attack us just because we don't like their leader. If I was him I would be pretty nervous too. What does a dog do when it gets nervous? It barks.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
True. The problems with Hugo started about the time we started bombing countries who didn't attack us just because we don't like their leader. If I was him I would be pretty nervous too. What does a dog do when it gets nervous? It barks.
So taking over private companies within his own country is a good response?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
mine pisses on the carpet.

Thats so f'ing funny.... I can see my dog looking like his over active tale is wagging the rest of his body then by accident of course pissing on the rug.... :)

To funny!!!!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
If Bush thought he could get away with it, he would have done the same thing.
Wait...

*reviewing notes*

Ok yep, I just checked and I actually have less respect for GWB then I do for HC.

I think it was stupid for H.C. to have done what he did at the UN. I lost a lot of respect for him when he played the religion card.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Good for 7-11 to do that..
We don't have 7-11's here in TN. But i don't go into a CITCO anymore -which we all know is Hugo Chavez's own money maker!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Wait...

*reviewing notes*

Ok yep, I just checked and I actually have less respect for GWB then I do for HC.

I think it was stupid for H.C. to have done what he did at the UN. I lost a lot of respect for him when he played the religion card.
I agree.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
This as been in the works for more than a year. Citgo also wanted out of the deal as it wasn't all that profitable for them either.
So it really has nothing to do with Chavez, and everything to do with a 20-year-lease ending and business as usual, is that correct?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
So it really has nothing to do with Chavez, and everything to do with a 20-year-lease ending and business as usual, is that correct?
maybe a dash of opportunism, but forbes is reporting the change as causal:

"7-Eleven Drops Citgo, Cites Chavez Comments" - headline, forbes

related: did you know...?

my favs:
  • Who? What? Where? Who’s buying the most 7-Eleven stuff? The answer is – the most Slurpee® beverages in the world are purchased in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada; and for the United States, it’s Detroit; hot dogs in Washington, D.C., coffee on Long Island, nachos in Colorado, Big Gulp® drinks in Las Vegas and Utah.
  • 7-Eleven sells 60 million fresh-baked donuts and pastries per year – enough to feed every person in the state of Virginia a dozen donuts! - sweet macaca!
  • 7-Eleven sells 41 million gallons of milk each year – enough for lots of milk mustaches!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Nothing to do with Chavez except change the announcement. 7-11 had contracts in hand with the distributors mentioned in the article about 4 months ago for the most part. There weren't even negotiations taking place between Citgo and 7-11. Those ended sometime late last year.

And in the end this isn't going to have a huge impact on Citgo's US operations either. They already are pretty much sold out on 7-11's previous capacity at what appears to be a slightly better margin. PDVSA can't afford to lose Citgo or the US as an outlet for its oil, short or long term. It would cripple them if they did. See how far that move to sell Citgo went when Chavez first announced 18 months ago?