Quantcast

7 to 9 speed

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
Can I make a 7speed bike into a nine speed? Can I increase the the distance from each drop out enough to accomodate the new 9speed wheel? My wife likes her really old frame but I want her to get a new bike. In compromise Im getting a friends father to replace the head tube on the bike to a 1 1/8th but I would also like to upgrade it to nine speed setup also. Thanks

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by crackmunch
Can I make a 7speed bike into a nine speed? Can I increase the the distance from each drop out enough to accomodate the new 9speed wheel? My wife likes her really old frame but I want her to get a new bike. In compromise Im getting a friends father to replace the head tube on the bike to a 1 1/8th but I would also like to upgrade it to nine speed setup also. Thanks
I've heard of steel frames being "adjusted" to accomodate a larger hub. I'm not sure how successful it is or whether it harms the frame.

When you say that he's replacing the headtube to a 1 1/8, do you mean he's welding in a new headtube? Seems like a lot of work for an old frame. :confused:

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
Yea hes replacing the 1" head tube with a 1 1/8th " one. My friends dad is one of those guys that cant stop working. He just built a popcorn popper (5 gallons woth or popcorn at a time) Just cause he saw one and though it was neat. And he offered to do so. Also my wife is competly attached to this bike. We started out getting thie bike for free. And she decided she wanted to be different and go old school. So we went with some XT cantis and XT shifter and brake lever combo. And if can get the manitou 1 rebuilt that came on the bike ill stick with the 1" head tube or if i find a 1" threaded 5 3/8th steerer tube fork for the bike. I have been looking for 4 months and have not found anything. Im not sure what else to do. Other than get a new bike which she really does not want to do at all.

Flipper

Chimp
Nov 19, 2001
Southern Ontario
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
I think you are asking for trouble!!!! Just convince her to buy a new frame.
I would have to agree, with Brian. Just find a new frame that is similar to hers and get her to test ride it.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I don't know about the head tube swap. Sounds ill advised to me. But If I remember correctly, 7 spd axle spacing is 135mm, the same as 8 and 9 spd. With shimano hubs you can just swap the freehub body and change the cone spacers and turn the hub into a 9spd compatible one. Then you'll need the cogs, chain, rings and shifters. Derailleurs will likely work fine but possibly less perfect than 9 spd ones.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by oldfart
I don't know about the head tube swap. Sounds ill advised to me. But If I remember correctly, 7 spd axle spacing is 135mm, the same as 8 and 9 spd.
It might depend on the make and year of the frame. I had a 7-speed frame with 130mm spacing.