Quantcast

8 hours and 13 minutes until MACWORLD!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You shoudl actually read the content in threads that YOU post.

In releasing the iPhone, Apple could start to break the stranglehold that Cingular and other cell phone carriers have on the cell phone hardware business by offering a phone that's not locked to work only with a specific carrier's service.
It isn't speculation, Apple has mentioned numerous times that it will be sold unlocked and useable on any GSM carrier. Hell, they even said before the phone was released that if they were ever to do such a thing, it would be unlocked.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Exactly. iPhone is the big thing now; of course, the Keynote was yesterday. Wait a year or two, it will go down and different models will show up with different features, price, etc.

As for the actual iPhone, and this maybe a noob smartphone question, but suppose you only have the device without being activated with mobile access, will go on the web ONLY with WiFi or does it need to be connected to a network such as Cingular or Rogers here in Canada ?
You use your own network connection. ie: you use the sim card from your rogers account in it.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
From what I got in the Keynote, its going to be a Cingular ONLY phone. Steve said they had been working with Cingular for two years on this project, and that the voice mail on command thing is a Cingular network thing. I really doubt they would jump ship and sell and unlocked GSM model.

Now, can the hackers out there figure out a way to unlock it once it hits the market, probably, but that, we will have to wait and see.

And to watch the Keynote, check it out here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/appleevents/

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
From what I got in the Keynote, its going to be a Cingular ONLY phone. Steve said they had been working with Cingular for two years on this project, and that the voice mail on command thing is a Cingular network thing. I really doubt they would jump ship and sell and unlocked GSM model.

Now, can the hackers out there figure out a way to unlock it once it hits the market, probably, but that, we will have to wait and see.

And to watch the Keynote, check it out here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/appleevents/

Does Sprint even have a GSM network anyway..???

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
My brother works for a mac securtity company in Vegas, and was at the keynote. He had about 5 mins hands on with the phone late yesterday, and according the Apple it WILL be an unlocked device, but the sale in June will only be from cingular (with minimum 2 year contract - there is NO discount to cingular business accounts, or with contract) with the apple store following about 8 weeks later.

So, it is unlocked, get it from cingular first, and if you get it from cingular first, be prepared to pay fullprice and shell out for a 2 year commitment.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
My brother works for a mac securtity company in Vegas, and was at the keynote. He had about 5 mins hands on with the phone late yesterday, and according the Apple it WILL be an unlocked device, but the sale in June will only be from cingular (with minimum 2 year contract - there is NO discount to cingular business accounts, or with contract) with the apple store following about 8 weeks later.

So, it is unlocked, get it from cingular first, and if you get it from cingular first, be prepared to pay fullprice and shell out for a 2 year commitment.
Hummm... i guess CNN is saying that no other CELL PHONE carrier will have the iPHONE before 2009.. leaving it open to other sellers???

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/09/technology/apple_jobs/index.htm?cnn=yes

Cingular, a unit of AT&T, will be Apple's sole U.S. partner. It's an exclusive multiyear agreement, which means no other carrier will be able to sell the iPhone through 2009.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,242840,00.html

That leads into the iPhone's two potential Achilles heels.

First, it's locked to Cingular. Apple may have decided to revolutionize mobile technology, but they're sticking with the same old, tired, exclusionary, carrier-locked business model.

Americans don't typically change carriers for individual phones, because carriers' coverage and rate plans vary so sharply, and people buy for coverage first.

Making the iPhone a Cingular exclusive locks out more than 100 million wireless users who prefer Verizon Wireless's network, Sprint's prices or T-Mobile's customer service.

Case in point: One Mac-friendly PC Magazine editor I know said, "Damn Verizon to hell!" when I mentioned the iPhone to him.

Translation: He wants the iPhone. He needs the iPhone. But he isn't willing to give up Verizon's superior coverage in New York City for it, and I don't think many other people will, either.

That's a deep disappointment, because the concept of the "unlocked phone" is now starting to spread in the U.S., thanks to a recent Copyright Office ruling.

Unlocking phones puts power in the hands of manufacturers and consumers, and may give carriers less of a say over phones' software and features. I would have thought Steve Jobs would have embraced that trend.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Hummm... i guess CNN is saying that no other CELL PHONE carrier will have the iPHONE before 2009.. leaving it open to other sellers???

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/09/technology/apple_jobs/index.htm?cnn=yes

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,242840,00.html
Yup, Apple mentioned that in the keynote. Cingular is their only carrier partner, and will be for the forseeable future. The rep actually mentioned the same thing to my brother - no phones to other carriers for 12 months minimum, only option for non-cingular members will be the apple store.

Edit: apple has said it will be unlocked, and foxnews isn't a valid news source.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
<shrug>

I just got one today for free to replace my old Motorola & the "calling plan" is still only costing me $8.33/month. :thumb:
Holy crap that's cheap.

I use my cell as my primary phone now. It's costing me about $60/mo. With lots of unlimited talking, but still... Rapeage...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Yup, Apple mentioned that in the keynote. Cingular is their only carrier partner, and will be for the forseeable future. The rep actually mentioned the same thing to my brother - no phones to other carriers for 12 months minimum, only option for non-cingular members will be the apple store.

Edit: apple has said it will be unlocked, and foxnews isn't a valid news source.
it looks to me from what Apple said yesterday, it will be locked and it will require Cingular to work some of its features.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Not from what I understood from the keynote, but hey, who knows. I'll be getting it from the apple store in june to use on my rogers setup here in Canada.
What makes you think that Rogers will get the iPhone ? I'd doubt Bell, but maybe Telus ?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
What makes you think that Rogers will get the iPhone ? I'd doubt Bell, but maybe Telus ?
It isn't network dependant first of all. Second of all Telus has no GSM network I don't think? And bell...well, bell just sucks.:twitch:

The reason handsets aree usually locked here in North America, is that the carrier subsidizes the price of the phone. Ie: get a 2 year plan and your phone drops to dirt cheap, the carrier eats the difference.

The iphone has NO subsidy. They are not allowing cingular to discount the phone or subsidize it at all, even for their business carriers. Apple is militant with their pricing and control it with an iron fist for the most part, besides the rare sale from best buy or circuit city or macmall.

There isn't much reason to lock a phone otherwise, besides t piss off a customer. Also, they have also stated it will be released in Europe (GSM) and Asia (CDMA/TDMA). Carriers in Europe and Asia, for the most part, do not lock phones.

The only Cingular only feature at the moment is visual call waiting, which is ridiculously cool, but probably fairly easy for a carrier to implement with the package apple would sell them.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I assume the random-access voicemail will be a cingular-only thing, as it accesses the data differently (essentially like voice texting or an email attachment) but that's just how the keynote sounded. That might not be the case however: if iphone simply calls and records voicemails and then attaches the missed caller info, it could be done with no change to how the carrier handles our voicemail.

Also, you bet the iPhone has a subsidy! - this thing would probably be 700-800 just by itself, look at the nokia N series: much less complex, cheaper finish, lame software. The multi-touch screen is immensely sophisticated and the whole thing is probably very expensive to manufacture given the crazy battery and sensor costs.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I assume the random-access voicemail will be a cingular-only thing, as it accesses the data differently (essentially like voice texting or an email attachment) but that's just how the keynote sounded. That might not be the case however: if iphone simply calls and records voicemails and then attaches the missed caller info, it could be done with no change to how the carrier handles our voicemail.

Also, you bet the iPhone has a subsidy! - this thing would probably be 700-800 just by itself, look at the nokia N series: much less complex, cheaper finish, lame software. The multi-touch screen is immensely sophisticated and the whole thing is probably very expensive to manufacture given the crazy battery and sensor costs.
If there is a subsidy - it is coming directly from apple. The carrier itself is not allowed to subsidize ANY of the price, nor are they allowed to discount it. Apple will be selling it at the apple store for the exact same price.

Comparing the iphone to a nokia is like comparing a toshiba sattelite to a macbook. They now run about the same price, the macbook is a whole ton nicer looking, with better finish.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Todays NYT review states that the phone will be locked for cingular use only.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
If there is a subsidy - it is coming directly from apple. The carrier itself is not allowed to subsidize ANY of the price, nor are they allowed to discount it. Apple will be selling it at the apple store for the exact same price.

Comparing the iphone to a nokia is like comparing a toshiba sattelite to a macbook. They now run about the same price, the macbook is a whole ton nicer looking, with better finish.
This makes sense, and I agree about the fit+finish comparison, I'm just observing how much this class of device tends to cost even though this one is in a class of it's own. I am also curious what the market will be like when this thing actually drops.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I forget where I saw it, but that multi touch screen technology is pretty new, no? Was it Adobe that came up with it? Whatever, but it's way cool.

I can just imagine what all the services will cost to actually make the most of the thing (iPhone) once it arrives in Canada.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I forget where I saw it, but that multi touch screen technology is pretty new, no? Was it Adobe that came up with it? Whatever, but it's way cool.

I can just imagine what all the services will cost to actually make the most of the thing (iPhone) once it arrives in Canada.
Apple pricing on it's store has absolutely no markup. Ie: the price difference as usually been the difference in currency. Tack on an edu discount (if available) and it is quite nice.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
transcend, did you watch the video of the introduction on the apple site?

Jobs introduced the pricing and the screen clearly shows the phrase '2 year contract' below the costs. He then introduces the CEO of Cingular after declaring them apple's EXCLUSIVE partner.

Where are you hearing/reading that this isn't the case?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
transcend, please provide a link to where apple says the phone will be unlocked. i haven't read any non-blog sources that state that. frankly, i don't really care either way but would like to halt the spread of misinformation.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
transcend, did you watch the video of the introduction on the apple site?

Jobs introduced the pricing and the screen clearly shows the phrase '2 year contract' below the costs. He then introduces the CEO of Cingular after declaring them apple's EXCLUSIVE partner.

Where are you hearing/reading that this isn't the case?
Yes, if you get the phone from cingular you will NEED to have a 2 year contract. Apple will also be selling the phone in the apple store. I don't have a link, my brother is AT macworld for work and has first hand information from their 5 minutes hands on with the phone and an apple rep.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
transcend, please provide a link to where apple says the phone will be unlocked. i haven't read any non-blog sources that state that. frankly, i don't really care either way but would like to halt the spread of misinformation.

I dont see where its going to be unlocked.

Here is what Apple's Press Release says:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/01/09cingular.html

Pricing & Availability
iPhone will be available in the US in June 2007, Europe in late 2007, and Asia in 2008, in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for $599 (US), and will work with either a PC or Mac. iPhone will be sold in the US through Apple&#8217;s retail and online stores, and through Cingular&#8217;s retail and online stores. Several iPhone accessories will also be available in June, including Apple&#8217;s new remarkably compact Bluetooth headset.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Apple pricing on it's store has absolutely no markup. Ie: the price difference as usually been the difference in currency. Tack on an edu discount (if available) and it is quite nice.
No no, I just mean the cost of the messaging, web access and all that stuff from the service provider. Come to think of it, the odds of my needing all the web access and blackberry-esque functionality is slim to none. An iPod and a cellphone in one unit is pretty sweet though.

It actually looks pretty big too, at second glance... Portable yes, but bigger than something I'd want to be toting around everywhere.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
and it looks you will be paying full retail price if you buy from Apple or Cingular too

no price break for cingular biz customers either.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I don't have a link, my brother is AT macworld for work and has first hand information from their 5 minutes hands on with the phone and an apple rep.
I'm a big Apple fan, but not having 10.5 ready (or anything else except some TV thing) might cause them to say many things just to make a splash with a device that is not FCC approved or even really working. Sure there's many unanswered questions, and haters just because it's an cool Apple product, but maybe the Macworld Expo shouldn't be an annual event from now on, since Steve is getting older and changing the world every few years isn't as easy as it used to be.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I'm a big Apple fan, but not having 10.5 ready (or anything else except some TV thing) might cause them to say many things just to make a splash with a device that is not FCC approved or even really working. Sure there's many unanswered questions, and haters just because it's an cool Apple product, but maybe the Macworld Expo shouldn't be an annual event from now on, since Steve is getting older and changing the world every few years isn't as easy as it used to be.
I don't think FCC approval or their ability to make the device work is the issue. I just doubt that Cingular, having signed into this partnership 2 years ago, will allow their standard rapage policies to be bypassed.

The blackjack requires a $40/mo data plan in addition to the voice plan. I expect nothing less from Cingular when the iphone is released.

If the iphone is 1/2 as cool as my wife's macbook pro it will be a winner.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
just curious: how many "official" keynotes does Jobs pronounce during the course of a year ? I know there are the MWSF and WWDC ones, but are there any others ?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I don't think FCC approval or their ability to make the device work is the issue.
I don't either, but Jobs is well known for making a big announcement or two at MWSF and the TV thing wasn't gonna do the trick. The next big OSX update apparently isn't ready, so let's introduce a product that is months away from going live just to make some noise.

It worked.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Note that if it's tied to a Cingular contract (and the ones sold through the Apple store will be, I'm guessing) you're going to pay $150 to terminate it early.

So even if it is unlocked, you'll probably be paying significantly to use it on another carrier. $750 for a phone? Not unless it sucks my dick between calls... :D

I can't wait to see how Cingular cripples the thing. You should see what they did to the Nokia E62 and java....