Quantcast

888 spring change?

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
you will need to use a vice block-an axle vise will do ok.
(a block of metal w/ a hole cut in it thay is the size of the shaft,cut evenly in half)
clamp the shaft tight and then remove the jam nut.
Zoke is making some,but an axle vise worked for me.
you will have to remove the whole damn cart. to do that- i used 2 vise grips to clamp the blocks and held it while a 2nd person loosened the nut.
I would recomend doing this to get the top cap loose too since some people have been breakng rods!
don't worry about scratching up the shaft since the upper part of the shaft above the spring does not plunge down into the cart.seal.
do sand it a little if it gets scratched to keep from damaging the seal of the spring cap, since it seals the oil to build pressure for air spring ramp up.

Aug 10, 2002
This was discussed over at nsmb :

http://bb.nsmb.com/newforum/showthread.php?threadid=38186&pagenumber=3

... the red nut needs to be unscrewed off the rod. This requires holding the rod with soft jaws or something that won't mess it up and then unscrewing the nut. Really nice and user friendly eh?

I haven't done it yet but after hearing that, I think I might let the LBS do it to avoid any unfortunate mishaps!!!! Those rods don't look very burly.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
It's a bit of a pain but the 888 is the shiznit so watcha gonna do...
they changed it(i assume) cuz the c clip of 03 eventually gets a little play and rattles,also no more o ring to possibly leak,and it's a little lighter-simpler-less expensive to make.
This process is not necessary to perform when doing seals,oil changes etc so once -if necessary- you get the spring dialed you won't have to mess with it again.