Quantcast

888 vs. Fox DH: Ditka will referee

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Who will win???

After all the 888 hype, I'm surprised that the Thrilla in Manilla hasn't been made to look like a T-Ball game!

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
specs wise, i feel the fox wins

888- sub 8lbs, 8inch
fox(what the name of this shock?)-sub 7lbs, adjustable between 6-8inches

but in reality...well see how the fox holds up and how stiff she is.

thrilla in manilla...lol

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Nice! The speculation has begun!

I'm going to forget everything that I read on their website and add.

It must have only 1 spring to be that lite. I'll bet all the damping and springs are all in the same leg, and that the other leg only has a little oil for lube purposes.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by SLAYER2003
If the FOX only comes in that lame ass color that we have seen, then I would say that the 888 has already won.
I hear you its more important to color cordinate than how it performs. You should hook up with dh girlie, she didn't want to ride her DH bike anymore cause she didn't like the color.:rolleyes: ;)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
I hear you its more important to color cordinate than how it performs. You should hook up with dh girlie, she didn't want to ride her DH bike anymore cause she didn't like the color.:rolleyes: ;)
I won't ride my bike because the stem does not match the seatpost.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Westy
I won't ride my bike because the stem does not match the seatpost.
I hear you, my stem is black and seatpost is silver. Everytime I'm riding I have to remind myself don't look down and stare at the silver seatpost cause I'll crash.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I hear you, my stem is black and seatpost is silver. Everytime I'm riding I have to remind myself don't look down and stare at the silver seatpost cause I'll crash.
Your lucky. My Shiver stem has red shims. Do you know how hard it is to find a seatpost with red trim??? Not even verticle stripes to make it look taller:eek:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Repack
Your lucky. My Shiver stem has red shims. Do you know how hard it is to find a seatpost with red trim??? Not even verticle stripes to make it look taller:eek:
Its tough, have you though about having your seatpost stripped and anodized red? Actually the checker board look would be cool:thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Back in '98 I got a sweet custom hardtail when brown was the new black. But that was only fashionable for one season so it just been sitting back in my closet ever since.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Well, I've never seen the Fox Fork much less ridden it nor have I even read the specs on it because I don't like to read, hurts my brain. But I do have internet connection, and from all the speculation I've seen written, which isn't much because I hate to read, I can say one thing with certainty, the Fox Fork is going to be the greatest fork the world has ever seen. All other Fork manufacturers should cease production at this time because their product will not be able to compete.

Here is why this will be the greatest fork ever:

When it’s finally released to the public the actual weight will be 7.15 pounds instead of the claimed 6.999 pounds. So a Mojo kit will be created will replace all of the internals with a single elastomer on one side knocking off half a pound.

Of course, we all know that the fork will be way too tall so a doobie smoking hermit from the Montana wilderness will fabricate new crowns which will lower a bike's front end by 5 inches. This will make it the world's best cornering fork ever and it will reduce weight by 5.1275 grams.

But the part that I'm most excited about is that a nine year old slave laborer from China will come up with a hydraulic system to reduce or increase the fork's travel. The system will be control by a handlebar mounted lever so you can activate the system on the fly. The cool thing is that you'll be able to ride through the pits lowering and raising the front end of your bike. Put some fuzzy dice on your handlebar and you'll be stylin'

So, after spending 3k in aftermarket upgrades you’ll have a great product which is why I proclaim the FOX FORK the best of all time.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
That does it. I'm ordering 4 of them. Besides, 888's make your balls shrink, and cause you to worry excessively about the colour of things... It's a proven medical fact. It's sad really....

Originally posted by Joe Pozer
Well, I've never seen the Fox Fork much less ridden it nor have I even read the specs on it because I don't like to read, hurts my brain. But I do have internet connection, and from all the speculation I've seen written, which isn't much because I hate to read, I can say one thing with certainty, the Fox Fork is going to be the greatest fork the world has ever seen. All other Fork manufacturers should cease production at this time because their product will not be able to compete.

When it’s finally released to the public the actual weight will be 7.15 pounds instead of the claimed 6.999 pounds. So a Mojo kit will be created will replace all of the internals with a single elastomer on one side knocking off half a pound.

Of course, we all know that the fork will be way too tall so a doobie smoking hermit from the Montana wilderness will fabricate new crowns which will lower a bike's front end by 5 inches. This will make it the world's best cornering fork ever and it will reduce weight by 5.1275 grams.

But the part that I'm most excited about is that a nine year old slave laborer from China will come up with a hydraulic system to reduce or increase the fork's travel. The system will be control by a handlebar mounted lever so you can activate the system on the fly. The cool thing is that you'll be able to ride through the pits lowering and raising the front end of your bike. Put some fuzzy dice on your handlebar and you'll be stylin'

So, after spending 3k in aftermarket upgrades you’ll have a great product which is why I proclaim the FOX FORK the best of all time.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Joe Pozer

LOL, good one Carlos:thumb:

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
Well now, let me weigh in here because I have actually TOUCHED said fork and therefore I can say with complete authority that the Dorado X Works completely kicks both of their Azzes!

And I may have an X Works next month so you know I know what I'm talking about. Come on, the X Works has that pleasing muted grey contrasting with the bold racing red and carbon. Queer eye for the DH guy must have designed it. It's beautiful and will match my bike perfectly.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by Matt D
hell look at the ding-resistance of a sub 7 lb 32mm fork;)

well i dont care if speculation now officially has gone out of fashion, ill still go around wondering how you can make a fork thats ding resistant with more surface to cover and out of the same materials with the same basic features and MORE travel than say a boxxer or a 888.

remember there is not much that sets the boxxer, the 888 and the fox dh apart

you can argue all you want but theres the 1 piece mag sliders, the alu uppers and the oil and springs.

so lets say fox can get away with 220ml oil per side and the same springs as RS, the crowns probably weigh the same as the boxxer, or lets think so, and lets think their dampers weigh the same as RS`s (not much) so then they will still have to find a way to use a similar amount of material in those lower legs as rockshox only they huge, same for the stanchions.

im actually hoping they didnt cut the wall thickness on the uppers and lowers because that means we are in for a big surprise when people start opening those forks.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The Freemasons are behind the Fox Fork. If you knew anything about Cabala, it'd be obvious to you, too. They've been hiding the fact that it's actually air-sprung, but helium-damped, from the public until world domination is complete.

MD

SLAYER2003

Monkey
May 1, 2003
Bellingham, WA
That was more or less just a sarcastic remark on the basis that I think it looks like ass. I do not judge on looks because you never can tell how good something is.

Sort of like if your dad based things off of looks, you may not even exist. What I mean is, everybody knows that your mom is not very attractive, but boy can she perform well in the sack.

Lighten up.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by SLAYER2003
That was more or less just a sarcastic remark on the basis that I think it looks like ass. I do not judge on looks because you never can tell how good something is.

Sort of like if your dad based things off of looks, you may not even exist. What I mean is, everybody knows that your mom is not very attractive, but boy can she perform well in the sack.

Lighten up.
Lighten up Francis, I'm just messing around. I happen to know dh girlie and like to bash her as she does me. Then again you did make the stupid comment in the first place.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Lighten up Francis, I'm just messing around. I happen to know dh girlie and like to bash her as she does me. Then again you did make the stupid comment in the first place.
Now both of you stop it. I think we can all learn an importan lesson from the following:

http://www.kithfan.org/work/transcripts/one/middle.html

Kevin: Hi. I'm Kevin McDonald. You may know me as a member of the group "The Kids in The Hall," who's show you are watching right now. Hi. I'm Kevin McDonald. You may know me as a member of the comedy troupe "The Kids in The Hall," who;s show you've just turned to. Each member of the troupe tries to write at least one sketch per show. Well, I thought that my sketch this evening deserved a little information. You see, I'm tired of writing the traditional comedy sketch -that is to say, one with a beginning, and a middle and an end. So I wrote one without a beginning or an end, it just has a middle. Some of the other guys in the troupe are saying that I'm a little burned out, and I didn't really have any good enough ideas to write a beginning or an end, and I'm just trying to get by on a gimmick. That, of course, is ridiculous. They also say that if this sketch doesn't work out, they're going to reevaluate me as a member of the troupe. So, I hope you enjoy this, I really hope you enjoy this... And now, my little piece of comedy.
[cut to a living room set]

Bruce: Stop it. Stop it. Stop it. [slapping Dave with each "Stop it"] Gotta stop you and your revolutionaries from taking over this country.

Dave: No, 'cause *I've* got to stop *you* and *your* revolutionaries from taking over this country.

Mark: Hell, *both* of you stop it. Don't you guys remember what happened last time? [turns around to see dog dangling in a harness] Oh, mornin' Mr. Mayor, how are ya, anyway? I see you're back. Thought you weren't comin' back 'til Tuesday. That's what I thought, cuz, that's what I heard, yea...

[cut back to Kevin]

Kevin: Well, that was my sketch, or the middle of it, anyways. It was kind of conceptual, but don't you think Mark's accent was kinda funny?

[Pan out to see Kevin's Mom beside him]

Kevin's Mom: I thought it was a great middle, Kevin.

Kevin: Thanks, mom. My mother! Of course, she's the woman that I support. Well, not financially, but spiritually. And if of course, I was out of the troupe for any reason, I would find it hard to give her the support I like to give her. I need to work to be hapy. So if I'm not in the show next week after the troupe reevaluates me, I would just like to thank the Kids in The Hall for giving me the chance to fail, which is all I asked, and all I did. So mom, uh, what time is your operation?

Kevin's Mom: What operation?

SLAYER2003

Monkey
May 1, 2003
Bellingham, WA
Brian HCM#1 said:
Alright. I'm sorry.
I still think it is ugly and a lame color. I'll just keep that to myself I guess. It's like nobody has ever said they think a particular frame or something is ugly or lame color on this forum before.

I am probably one of the only dudes in the world that thought the Pontiac Aztec was cool looking so I guess I am not a good judge of that anyway.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
SLAYER2003 said:
Alright. I'm sorry.
I still think it is ugly and a lame color. I'll just keep that to myself I guess. It's like nobody has ever said they think a particular frame or something is ugly or lame color on this forum before.

I am probably one of the only dudes in the world that thought the Pontiac Aztec was cool looking so I guess I am not a good judge of that anyway.
Its all good:thumb: And as far as the Aztecs go, I think you are the only one ;)