Quantcast

9/11 Benefit Race

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Originally posted by The Toninator

You bring your butty down from co and i'll be there too.
Aw, come on...I think the distance issue gives me at least a slightly better excuse...besides, I have to fly to Chicago this weekend.

Couldn't you make the date for Friday night...or some other night? Considering the cause it's for, she might even think more of you: "Wow, what a dreamy guy...he cares so much!"

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by KrusteeButt

Aw, come on...I think the distance issue gives me at least a slightly better excuse...besides, I have to fly to Chicago this weekend.

Couldn't you make the date for Friday night...or some other night? Considering the cause it's for, she might even think more of you: "Wow, what a dreamy guy...he cares so much!"
The butty call is for friday night and breakfast on saturday.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown

Ps i think it is the same distance for the both of us. That's like 8 hours from there.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!

Ps i think it is the same distance for the both of us. That's like 8 hours from there.
What?!
According to mapquest it's about 18 hours from Denver to Saint Jo, and about 5 hours from Houston Heights.

The booty call....hmmm....well, there aren't many things in the world that will deter a man from that.

But I think one could make an exception. :(

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown

What?!
According to mapquest it's about 18 hours from Denver to Saint Jo, and about 5 hours from Houston Heights.

The booty call....hmmm....well, there aren't many things in the world that will deter a man from that.

But I think one could make an exception. :(
Oh i thought he said 3 hours west of DFW. Your map is still wrong it's like 6 1/2.

flbikerman

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Sherman, TX
Originally posted by Bike Mojo
Anyone going, anyone?

I am going up to support a two person team from Houston and may run the TT on Devil's Backbone on Sunday.
If you get this before you go out there.. What will you be riding I'll be there as a spectator tomorrow. I can't get there until later in the afternoon. I'll root for you. I'll be watching the TT. I want to see some real riders attempt it to gauge how well I do. Saying that it's tough is putting it litely.

GOOD LUCK.

flbikerman

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Sherman, TX
ps his avatar is a self portrait but his hair is a little shorter now.
Thanks Ton. I'll try to get some pics of him and post them. I'm sure he's already got someone taking some but some from a different perspective couldn't hurt. Maybe next time I'll get to meet you

flbikerman

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Sherman, TX
I saw the car and the bike but no Mojo. I had my little girl with me and she was tired so I didn't stay very long. I had to work today so I didn't get to get out there for any pictures. I was trying to make plans to get out there last night to have a few beers with some people but I couldn't find anyone to take care of Lydia.

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
Originally posted by flbikerman

If you get this before you go out there.. What will you be riding I'll be there as a spectator tomorrow. I can't get there until later in the afternoon. I'll root for you. I'll be watching the TT. I want to see some real riders attempt it to gauge how well I do. Saying that it's tough is putting it litely.

GOOD LUCK.

Didn't race the TT but did ride the course and....

Devil's Backbone rules. No question one of the top five trails I have ridden in Texas. My legs are still recovering.

I hope that you had the chance to ride it. It was a little greasy in spots making some of the climbs next to impossible, but it was still fun trying again with "redo's"

And as for the 8 hr race they turnout was good, the weather was excellent (other than the little bit of snow on the trails Friday) and the camping was great! And they estimated that they raised about $5000 for the Firefighters Fund

Tony, I hope that you got some this weekend because you missed a great course! And Lisa is a bad-ass rider! No question. You will see in the TMBRA spring series.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown

Tony, I hope that you got some this weekend because you missed a great course! And Lisa is a bad-ass rider! No question. You will see in the TMBRA spring series.
Lisa is a badass rider and stephie will be up with her very shortly. I get to ride with them every now and then:D Lisa did two 49 minuet laps at huntville, that's pretty solid. I'm glad they raised a lot of money and ya'll had a good weekend. my weekend wasnt bad:)

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass

Lisa is a badass rider and stephie will be up with her very shortly. I get to ride with them every now and then:D Lisa did two 49 minuet laps at huntville, that's pretty solid.
Huntsville (Cough!)
/underbreath "Roadie Course" doesn't count. Talk to Lisa about Kerrville!

Next time you see Stephie look at all her cuts and bruises. 90% came from Devils Backbone. hehehe.

Lisa and I were fortunate enought not to crash. The downhills on this course were serious 'chest on your seat' sorta things. And not like some little ten foot drop. These downhills went on and on.

I would clear a section and be sitting there wondering how I was able to do it, then I would look back and Lisa was right behind me. After a couple of crashes Stephie walked some of the sections.

flbikerman

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Sherman, TX

I hope that you had the chance to ride it. It was a little greasy in spots making some of the climbs next to impossible, but it was still fun trying again with "redo's"

And as for the 8 hr race they turnout was good, the weather was excellent (other than the little bit of snow on the trails Friday) and the camping was great! And they estimated that they raised about $5000 for the Firefighters Fund

I've been on it a few times. The last time I went thru it I made it all the way without anything but a minor scrape. On one of the downhill parts, it cuts to the right and there is a big boulder with a little pine tree. I didn't make the turn and scuffed my knee on the tree. nothing major. Then after coming out of DB on Horseshoe or Split ears, coming down the hill to fast and washed out around the turn. Messed up my shoulder On a simple part of the trail that I had been on a hundred times. It's a blast out there. I try to ride it atleast once a week.

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass

I've been on it a few times. The last time I went thru it I made it all the way without anything but a minor scrape. On one of the downhill parts, it cuts to the right and there is a big boulder with a little pine tree. I didn't make the turn and scuffed my knee on the tree. nothing major.
I know the area that you are talking about. It is great. You have a technical climb, with NO approach because of that tree and definitely no place to bail. If you bail you go down a 200' drop in the trees/brush/rocks. We tried that section several times. I believe the line is right up the middle. But my Hutchies were packed with wet dirt/mud and would not hook up on the rocks. Next time I hope that it is just a little more dry and I will have my Panaracers!

Then after coming out of DB on Horseshoe or Split ears, coming down the hill to fast and washed out around the turn. Messed up my shoulder On a simple part of the trail that I had been on a hundred times.

Now that last section.... two words. Oh Yea! I made it but it was dicey. I found myself 1/2 way down that doing a trackstand with my chest on my seat, trying to 'encourage' my bike to turn right down the last little bit of it. Nothing but grins!

It's a blast out there. I try to ride it atleast once a week.
/Alan is green with envy

Look for me there in mid March for the TMBRA XC race. You can show me how a 'local' rides the backbone. I may even have a beer for your effort.

Ride ON!
Alan

flbikerman

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Sherman, TX

/Alan is green with envy

Look for me there in mid March for the TMBRA XC race. You can show me how a 'local' rides the backbone. I may even have a beer for your effort.

Ride ON!
Alan
I'll show you how I TRY to ride it. Let me know when you come up. I just reread what I wrote, I don't necesarilly ride DB every week I ride at -H weekly(if possible)

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass

I'll show you how I TRY to ride it. Let me know when you come up. I just reread what I wrote, I don't necesarilly ride DB every week I ride at -H weekly(if possible)

Oh all of Bar H is great. Really fun trails. But the Backbone takes the cake.

BTW if you are ever down in SA I'll show you some of our trails. Also don't forget the STORM Hill Country Challenge at Flat Rock Ranch

Flat Rock, ROCKS!

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
Kathy and Alan Johnson (from DFW area) mentioned to me a new trail that recently opened between Denton and Gainsville. It is to host a (new) sixth fall TMBRA race next year.

Do you know anything about this trail?

Yankee Tim

Chimp
Aug 21, 2001
Denison, TX
The trail they are talking about is the Johnson Branch trail at Lake Ray Roberts just north of Denton.

Sections of the trail have been there for a while now. It is now a complete loop. In the past, fire roads were used to connect parts of the trail. Now, the entire loop is on singletrack.

I have not ridden these new sections yet. I believe they just completed them recently. One of the DORBA fall races was held there this year. Since the trail wasn't completed at that time, we used some of the fire roads on the race course.

Anyway, I do believe that one of the upcoming TMBRA races is going to be held there. I'm sure it will be fun. I have always enjoyed riding there in the past and I'm sure it will be even better now that the trail is a complete loop.

I hope this helps.

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
Originally posted by Yankee Tim
Anyway, I do believe that one of the upcoming TMBRA races is going to be held there. I'm sure it will be fun. I have always enjoyed riding there in the past and I'm sure it will be even better now that the trail is a complete loop.

I hope this helps.

Yea, Johnson Branch, that is the one. It is supposed to be a really great trail.

And the word that I got is that it will be the last race of the TMBRA fall series, two weeks after Ruston and one week after 24 Hours at Smithville!

flbikerman

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Sherman, TX

BTW if you are ever down in SA I'll show you some of our trails. Also don't forget the STORM Hill Country Challenge at Flat Rock Ranch

Flat Rock, ROCKS!
I might take you up on that. I haven't decided where I'm going to be going for Christmas. I had been thinking about making a tour of the places to ride down in S Tx. SA, Houston and the Big Bend area were the ares I was thinking about. I'll let you know when I have something definite.
I keep forgeting to ask. How'd you do at -H?

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass

I might take you up on that. I haven't decided where I'm going to be going for Christmas. I had been thinking about making a tour of the places to ride down in S Tx. SA, Houston and the Big Bend area were the ares I was thinking about. I'll let you know when I have something definite.
Drop me a line if you are in the area, Flat Rock is currently closed for the hunting season until mid January, but 700 Acres rules.

I keep forgeting to ask. How'd you do at -H?
Well, I ran outta beer by Saturday night, so I had to make an emergency run into Munster to get more. So I did OK.

I didn't race. I was support for a two person womens team from Houston. Lisa and Steffi put in ten laps (I think), won the two person womens, and finished 7th overall.

As a benefit ride/race everybody won! It was really fun.

aLaN

flbikerman

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Sherman, TX

Well, I ran outta beer by Saturday night, so I had to make an emergency run into Munster to get more. So I did OK.

I didn't race. I was support for a two person womens team from Houston. Lisa and Steffi put in ten laps (I think), won the two person womens, and finished 7th overall.

As a benefit ride/race everybody won! It was really fun.

aLaN
I knew there was a reason I was trying to get out there Sat. night. It must have been to bring some beer. I had talked to "cowboy"(can't remember his name) and he said that everyone was having fun. Glad to hear that.