Quantcast

9-11 report

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
The final 9-11 report was released today. 585 pages or so. I'm going to try and read it all but I thought it might be interesting if some of us read sections of the report and gave a summary. There are 13 sections in the report.

I've already read section one titled, "WE HAVE SOME PLANES" which provided an overview of the timeline of the hijackings.

So do any of you "Political Debate Forum" members feel like doing a little analysis?

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
ummbikes said:
Is it just not fun because it requires reading???
Feels too much like homework...

EDIT - oh yeah, and I'd rather read the whole thing than get N8's spinon what it says. :D

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Part 2 talks about Osama's views, how he came to have those views, how he is able to gain such widespread support (socioeconomic conditions), and how he networked to gain resources for his attacks. Longwinded, lots of names and dates. It's basically telling what led up to the WTC from the other side.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'll take...
12. WHAT TO DO? A GLOBAL STRATEGY 361
12.1 Reflecting on a Generational Challenge 361
12.2 Attack Terrorists and Their Organizations 365
12.3 Prevent the Continued Growth of Islamist Terrorism 374
12.4 Protect against and Prepare for Terrorist Attacks 383

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
You'll be glad to know George is reading it, too.

Here are his thoughts so far:

The president said he was reading the report and found it "interesting."

"It reads like a mystery, a novel. It's well written," Bush told The Associated Press in a brief interview just outside his home in Crawford. Asked what he was gleaning from the report, he said, "I'm gleaning that was a well-thought-out plot by the enemy."

"We've got work to do," he said, adding that the nation is "safe but not safe enough."

He declined to offer an opinion of the commission's recommendations, or when he would act.
So, the President od the USA, hopefully the best informed man in the world, nearly 3 years after 9/11 is only now "gleaning that was a well-thought-out plot by the enemy". You guys are in a world of sh*t. Seriously, Duck and cover.

Anyway, do you guys think it's like a mystery or a novel?

The other interesting thing - America is currently 'Safe' (but not safe enough). According to the Dept. of Homeland Security, the current terror threat is 'Bert' or Yellow - Elevated Threat. Not actually 'Oscar' safe, or even 'Cookie Monster'.

Does this mean the Color coded warning system is simply yet another device to keep the public scared and passified? Surely not.

Anyway, let us know about the 9/11 report soon, and if the Butler did it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
i think george is having cheney read it to him.
Not to worry. Shrub's came in the form of a coloring book. With a pop up section and connect the dots.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I've read some of the first part of section 12...

1. Holy sh:t these are long winded bastards. Are they getting paid by the word?

Here's some things I've gotten out of it so far...

The defense budget has gone up 150% without the returns you'd expect on the money. Apparently, our gov't. believes that our expectations have lowered and they can get away with less results and still impress us. Seriously :(

The report said there is no way to negotiate with terrorists, duh, but they want to destroy or isolate terrorists... how do you isolate 'em?

They say one reason the bin Ladens are finding recruits is cuz their society is falling behind in growth and offering the kids no future. They say we should encourage muslim societies to grow. Encourage? What about actually helping build a future?

Here's my favorite part...
What should Americans expect from their government in the struggle against
Islamist terrorism? The goals seem unlimited: Defeat terrorism anywhere in the
world. But Americans have also been told to expect the worst: An attack is
probably coming; it may be terrible.
With such benchmarks, the justifications for action and spending seem limitless.
:eek: WTF? limitless?

It appears the gov't who's least cooperative and providing grounds for terrorist is Pakistan.

Afganistan... things are moving along there nicely, but without continued and constant support, they'll fall back to where they were. Meaning, every country that we involve ourselves in requires us to hang around and support for several years. IMO, the best approach is to not spread ourselves too thin, help build places like Afganistan to a point that not only don't they need us anymore, but they can partner with us in building a better middle east. Problem with that is, the timeline is too tight with breeding grounds like Pakistan and Saudi.

I'll keep reading, but man, they suck at disseminating info.