Quantcast

91% of "terrorist" cases dropped for lack of evidence

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/04/washington/04terror.html?_r=1&ref=washington&oref=slogin

thearticle said:
WASHINGTON, Sept. 3 — The number of terrorism cases brought by the Justice Department, which surged in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, has dropped sharply since 2002, and prosecutors are turning down hundreds of cases because of weak evidence and other legal problems, according to a study released Sunday.

The study, conducted by a private research group at Syracuse University, found that federal prosecutors have declined to prosecute two of every three international terrorism cases brought to them by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and other agencies since 2001.

The rejection rate was even higher for the first eight months of the current fiscal year, with 91 percent of the referred cases turned down for prosecution, the research group said. Among the most frequent explanations cited by prosecutors, the study found, were a lack of evidence of criminal intent by the suspect and “weak or insufficient” evidence.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
moral of the story:

"war on terror" = bunch of garbage drummed up for publicity + increased funding in perpetuity

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I make a joke about Toshi's loyalties, but then Bush's supercomputer terrorist scanner would put him on hotlist...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I make a joke about Toshi's loyalties, but then Bush's supercomputer terrorist scanner would put him on hotlist...
if there are such widespread scanning activities i'd have been on the list a long time ago. good thing i use gpg for my truly inflammatory writings :D

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Oh Oh......Put me on the list, Because I hate president bush.

Hey.....Whats with all of those neat black suv's in my driveway

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Here you go - Some stats on America before and after 9/11:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/629/629/5305868.stm

I especially love the Presidential approval rating - See it dip as soon as Bush is elected, then shoot up from 9/11, then continue the drop to today's lows... :p
Bush has almost doubled US defense spenditures!
"We will build our defences beyond challenge, lest weakness invite challenge." -GWB on his inaguration 2001.
And when the cowboy got his first gun, he went out and challenged everybody he could find, to prove that he was the fastest hand in the west... Dennis Leary tells good jokes about the Duke, who
dubya surely must have as a role model.