Quantcast

911 commission: dog & pony show?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
it's the hot topic for this news cycle, & it seems that whichever media you read/view/listen to, their partisan colors have extra sheen.

after all the pomp & circumstance, will there be any resolution that would belong exclusively to this commission? Or rather, if this is an exercise in "lessons learned", wtf have we been doing the last ~3yrs?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
In the broad scheme of things........

The US could not have acted (the UN would not have) to any intel on the threat of a 9-11 before it happened. Even after it happened we are fighting about what (if anything) we should do.

No way could any president (Clinton included) done a thing against terrorism prior to an event like 9-11. Now with the assault hitting us hard and on the US's soil, both Dem's and Rep's knew it was time to act. What does it matter what people thought might be brewing or happening before hand. Do you think they had enough info to shut down flights for 24hrs and screen every person prior to 9-11 with no reason evident to the public. I just can't see that happening.

Now people are crying out screaming we should have done something before it happened.....many of them are the same people saying that going after terrorists now is wrong. :rolleyes:

Not direct quotes:
Post 9-11 activity
"it is dangerous to go after threats that haven't done anything, yet....what president does that set?"

"we should have done something about it, because we knew."

Seems kind of contradictory to me.

Rhino

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
Canada is close overall but is lacking in the bombs....finger pointing though keeps them close. :)
didn't some of those canucks point up at the bombs we dropped on them 2 yrs ago in afghanistan during a training exercise?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Our country has a long history of "wake up" calls. Weather it be Peral Harbor or 9/11, the US has a long history of reacting to violence rather than making preemptive strikes. I think it highly unlikely that 9/11 could have been prevented. "The System" as a whole has just too f*ed up to sort itself out without a disaster of 9/11 proportions. I did find it interesting that the Clinton Admin allegedley gave the CIA free-reign to do whatever it wanted to Osama. It was my belief that the US had a law against state-sponsored assassinations. We usually give those jobs to Britain or Israel.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Originally posted by Repack
It was my belief that the US had a law against state-sponsored assassinations. We usually give those jobs to Britain or Israel.
Are you serious? The US is 'Mr. Assasination!' - It's won the pagent 30 years in a row! I'm sure you do have a law against it, as does Britain, but that doesn't stop it happening.