Quantcast

959 pedals?

JohnEZ

Chimp
Oct 10, 2001
Houston, Texas
Unlike may other users, I love my 858s. I need pedals for my other (primary) bike. Only 2 reviews on the 959s on MTBReview, and both are by the same guy. Anyone ride the 959s, or know anyone that does?

What about EggBeaters? Lots of reveiws, and some say they are busting up too easily. I am less inclined to go this route, as I'd need two pairs of shoes since I intend to keep my 858s on my back-up bike.

And no, I do not want to hear why I should ride Times (I own stock in Shimano - not). I actually rode Times for the summer of 2000. I was living in Austin, and I had some major crashes in which I did not click out. I tried swapping the cleats left to right - to no avail. I am simply happier with the Shimano design.

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
i thought the cleat for the eggbeaters was spd compatable. i could be wrong though. times rule. i believe that the 959 is shimano's replacement for the 858, this means that is a brand new design. so you might want to check the mtb mags for reviews. as far as i know they are not for sale yet.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Wow. Another guy who prefers Shimano spd over Time. I intend to get a set of the new 959 once they're available in BC. The problem with 858 from my experience is that the aluminum pedal body wears out where the shoe contacts it leading to a tippy interface. My theory is that tippy interface makes a sticky pedal. Like when you try a cyclocross dismount and can't get out. The Times are nice in that the entry and release are quite consistent but I found them slightly harder to get into and out of than Shimano's. Times are better in thick mud though. Egg Beaters use an spd hole pattern but the cleat is unique. It sounds like its pretty similar to a Time cleat though. Wouldn't b surprised if they were interchangeable. What I don't like about Eggbeaters is the use of a bushing instead of ball bearings for the inboard load. My experience with bushing pedals, Bontrager, is not a good long lasting one.