Quantcast

990/u-brake tire clearance..

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Specin' the new build/planning the frame out and I've decided I want to give 990's a try over vee's. (I've heard they're both pretty comparable in performance now adays... so if you can give me a good reason either way to sway then please do.)

I remember satori having issues with his molly and tire clearance in his 990's a while back and was wondering what the typical clearance is between the arms of the brake? I plan to run mac2 2.25 parks.. Will these clear? and what about 2.3 k-rads?

What is the biggest one could run?

Thanks a ton fellas

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Satori was using a 990 brake that used shorter then normal arms---(a lot shorter)

Your stay width at the brake mounts and you position of the mounts will effect your clearance.

I personally run Fly 990's and a Mac 2 on my molly. As well as having run the Krad and Kiniption. The revenge diatech and diacompe offer the most tire clearance.

newrider3

Monkey
Oct 13, 2007
Colorado
What type of feel do you prefer in your brakes? I've found you can have a softer feel (lots of travel) with 990's and have them still lock, or have them close to the rim for an instant lock feel. With V brakes you pretty much have to keep them close, or your brake is mushy and ****ty. I ride a ~2.25" tire on the rear of my 20", and have no problems with brake clearance. Tight, yes, but not hitting.

Last edited:

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
I feel like ubrakes are better for my application of a decent rim brake good enough for stalls, etc. dont care about modulation, want reliability and easy of use. Vee's could be in the category as well, but theres something about 990's that seems appealing. plus added bling is always a positive if your into colors...

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Edit button is giving me an error:confused:

one more question... is there a certain ubrake that is known to work better than most, or are they all practically the same?

i think i know exactly where you are headed. i run some regular tekktro 990's and with my tire slammed in the stays, i couldn't go bigger than a 1.9 without the tire rubbing agaianst the brake arms. i think the placement of your mounts will determine the maximum rim/tire width you could run in the desired length of chain/seat stays you want to run...

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Aaron
If you want the stiffest , most indestructible U-Brake on the market look through your basement for a pair of these sure you get a set down there .

Campagnolo Euclid U-Brakes , ran these back in my BMX days hand down the best U-Brake ever made !

Oh I have all the spec sheets for 990's from Diacomp I'll toss em in the box with that other stuff I'm sending out today for you .