Quantcast

A brainfart that doesn't stink

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
It's been a while since we've had a Snoqualmie lift access-related thread. That's probably for the better. All the same, this thought came to me recently.
Instead of them running lifts during the summer, I wonder if they have considered doing a shuttle-service instead. I know part of their dilemma is the soon-to-be-extinct alpine salamanders, but the bulk of it is likely the expenses in running the lifts and whether or not enough riders would even show up. By running shuttles initially, they wouldn't have the major overhead of lift expenses and wouldn't risk running at a loss of profit.
It's not like I'd expect them to jump on the idea and start up this summer or anytime soon, but it sure seems logical from the business standpoint...both sides could be happy in this scenario.

Thoughts?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Salamanders haha! That excuse still cracks me up....

Seems like they could do well with the lifts since buying a big truck for a shuttle would cost more than running the lifts that are already there, and hiring some kids for minimum wage.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
DBR X6 RIDER said:
It's been a while since we've had a Snoqualmie lift access-related thread. That's probably for the better. All the same, this thought came to me recently.
Instead of them running lifts during the summer, I wonder if they have considered doing a shuttle-service instead. I know part of their dilemma is the soon-to-be-extinct alpine salamanders, but the bulk of it is likely the expenses in running the lifts and whether or not enough riders would even show up. By running shuttles initially, they wouldn't have the major overhead of lift expenses and wouldn't risk running at a loss of profit.
It's not like I'd expect them to jump on the idea and start up this summer or anytime soon, but it sure seems logical from the business standpoint...both sides could be happy in this scenario.

Thoughts?
I think the bulk of the land that the trails are on are USFS.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Actually quite a bit of the land is private and I know Snocrummie just did some sort of land deal where they ended up with like 400 more acres. Not sure if they bought or traded or ??
I think a good short term solution would be to get them to give a entrepenuer(sp?) permission to run this service indepentantly. They would get a fee as would the USFS/DNR. They have a small fleet of shuttle buses up there so this person would need to come up with a trailer to hold the bikes if they gave permission/rented/leased the buses out. Or said entrepenuer could buy their own. I know where there are a handful sitting in a parking gargage collecting dust because they no longer meet some sort of federal standard so they would probably go for cheap.
***edit***
You might have a problem with the people living up there driving up and down the road all day.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
sure seems as though they could make a bunch of money by letting us bike up there. They could make pure profit if they used the private shuttle idea. No, lifts, not much in the way of trailbuilding expenses (probably lots of volunteers around (like me) that would be willing). Sounds like a good idea to me.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
They should build a bike park for many reasons:

-hunderds of people from Seattle buy passes at Whistler(5 hours away), I went 25 days last year and spent alot more money then just the season pass up there. I if snowqulime made a bike park that was half as good as Whister's I would go there just as much.

-Summer season is longer than winter and it does not depend on alot of snow for a decent day of riding.

-Freeriding is a growing sport, taking a lift to the top of the mountian appeals to a much greater portion of the population than riding to the top. New techhnology makes it even easyer for people to get into the sport.

-Look at Whistler, there statisics for the bike park are amazing. The bussiest day last summer was as busy as the bussiest day in the winter. The number of bike park riders has tripeld in the last 2 years, I rode up with people from Utah that had season passes..., 12 hour drive away. It is just a matter of time when ski reasorts realize they can make money from us, things will change, its all about the $$$, I think thats why they stoped the lift access mountain biking is becuse someone crashed and decied to take the mnt to court for it.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
fuzzycatnuts said:
They should build a bike park for many reasons:

...when ski reasorts realize they can make money from us, things will change, its all about the $$$, ...
They would make enough money on beer and burgers alone to justify it.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
-Freeriding is a growing sport, taking a lift to the top of the mountian appeals to a much greater portion of the population than riding to the top.

Growing? Yes. More than riding to the top? Not even close....
This list is heavily influenced by those who choose gravity. But, it's still a very, very small portion of the overall bike sales in the country.

Sounds like another excuse for the fattening of America. Let's use that angle. We're all really too fit right now.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
I really like the idea of a shuttle. It may only last about two weeks though since I could see the jaw drop as the parkinglot fills up faster then they can take people to the top. Another angle is that summer has no pass closing avalanches.

Borneo said:
Sounds like another excuse for the fattening of America.
I don't agree with this on many levels and think your a little offbase. Just curious what kind of bikes do you ride and have you spent any time on a 40lb Dh bike doing any DH or Dirt Jumping before? If not I would invite you to spend a little more time looking at the physical abilitys of DH racers and Dirt Jumpers. Not to mention I rarely see XC racers spend hours digging dirt and building things.

Or maybe you are a DH/DJ rider and I am just reading your post wrong.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
DesuL said:
I don't agree with this on many levels and think your a little offbase. Just curious what kind of bikes do you ride and have you spent any time on a 40lb Dh bike doing any DH or Dirt Jumping before? If not I would invite you to spend a little more time looking at the physical abilitys of DH racers and Dirt Jumpers. Not to mention I rarely see XC racers spend hours digging dirt and building things.
He's more of a XC geek;) (Sorry Bob)

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Snacks said:
He's more of a XC geek;) (Sorry Bob)
AHHHH Thats what I was thinking :) Its ok, some of us used to be XC people too. If you were to compare mtn biking to going to the gym. The XC guys are the ones on the treadmills and the DH guys are on treadmill for 5 minutes and weightlifting for the rest of the day. Both take muscles and physical ability but in differnt ways. Eitherway its better then sitting at home :P

And Bob when something local does open up you really should rent/borrow a bike and come give it a try you might just like it :thumbup:

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
what kind of maintenance expenses would be required to run a truck/it's engine and brakes up and down that hill all summer?

buy in a new truck in the end? ahah

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
And Bob when something local does open up you really should rent/borrow a bike and come give it a try you might just like it :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

See my "Got Schleyed" post from last summer.
Yes, I did buy a FR bike. 7" in back.
My point was that no, more people do not take the lift to the top and there still are and will be more that will chose to ride up. (Not that taking a lift is bad, by any means.)
Promoting lift served as an alternative to the aerobic conditioning of climbing is plain stupid though.

Sadly, most strictly DH folks I know/have seen don't exactly fit into the "physically fit" genre. More, the "I'll have another beer and where's my smokes?" Not to say that there's fit DHrs out there either.

And, I have a 4 set DJ line in the back yard, so, I know what digging is about... :)

Essentially, promoting lift served as a way to get America fit is a bit of an oxymoron... That was my point.